You Use Music Without iPhone? With Android/Net10?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ShMac, Jun 11, 2018.

1. ShMac, Jun 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2018

ShMac macrumors member

What is your experience using the S3 for music without an iPhone?

I have a MacBook Pro but I use Android on Net10.

Would I want to just setup playlists while on wi-fi that can be saved and played offline?

Do I have other options? Can it access my net10 account through LTE to somehow stream wirelessly without an iPhone on a cell carrier from a paid iTunes account?

2. dave006 Contributor

dave006

No you need an iPhone in the mix to setup / sync / manage your Apple watch. The LTE function requires that your iPhone and watch be on the same post-paid cellular plan, and that it must support the Apple Wearable plan. This means it is only available on select carriers.

Dave

3. CobraPA macrumors 6502a

In theory you could set it up with an iPhone, subscribe to Apple Music, and then use the watch standalone. But I think you can only stream from Apple Music. Any other music you would need to load from the iPhone to the Watch to play.

See https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht204691

4. ShMac thread starter macrumors member

OK, that is a start, my mom has an iPhone. Can I get it setup with hers and then load playlists into the memory through wifi somehow or with my MacBook Pro or with an iPad? Personally, I'd probably get more mileage out of an iPad Pro than an iPhone. I just don't use a phone much. Thanks!!!

5. cynics macrumors G4

The Apple Watch is a complementary device to an iPhone. Many of the features that justify the expense of the Apple Watch rely on features of the iPhone. The Watch App is only available on the iPhone and is required for adjusting many features and settings, setting it up, updating it, etc. The Watch constantly sync's with the iPhone with a lot of its data. Its also initially linked to the AppleID of the iPhone used to set it up.

While there maybe a work around I honestly don't think the Apple Watch is worth its expensive if you don't have or plan on having an iPhone. I think it will just be more aggravating than anything.

6. ShMac thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! That is what I needed to hear. And, it suggests a lot about Apple Corporation's attitude. Running the same OS, both having Bluetooth, and access to an Internet connection, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to have a lot of the same functionality using an iPad instead. Really, I just want a refined watch that will play music while I'm on the go and maybe survive light SUP riding, bicycling, skateboarding, walks on the beach, etc.

The fact that an iPad can do everything an iPhone can do except maybe make calls makes me think it was a decision specifically designed for you to buy another of their products. If not, then it is a huge oversight and they are losing it on the technical side. If I cannot find a workaround, I will probably be returning the thing. I don't like the Samsung product nearly as much but it appears likely it will serve my purposes.

7. nokkynuk macrumors member

nokkynuk

Have you looked at Garmin Smartwatches?

8. ShMac thread starter macrumors member

Only in a few advertisements and on Amazon. I just bought a Samsung Gear 3 Frontier yesterday at Costco. I will be trying it out for a while since they have a 90 day return policy on smart watches. If I like it, the Apple Watch will go back. I am frustrated that I must have an iPhone to even try the Apple. I will be visiting my mother in a few days. I may pair the Apple with hers just to check it out. I can always take it back or maybe I can clear it somehow if I dig it. There is nearly always a way. I am also considering picking up a refurbished iPhone 5. I have seen a few under $100. This should serve my purposes well enough for now if I like the AW.

Would you recommend a particular Garmin model? I am wary of buying such an expensive piece of electronics that I cannot try first. Costco only offers the "Garmin Approach X40 GPS Golf Band." It does not appear to offer music over bluetooth capability.

9. nokkynuk macrumors member

nokkynuk

I'm a fan of the forerunner series. My family is full of Ironmen/Ironwomen triathletes and they swear by them. I've used the 935 and loved it. If my experience with the Series 1 didnt sell me on upgrading to the 3 LTE i would of moved to the 935.

10. gahig ulo macrumors 6502

gahig ulo

You need atleast iphone 5s by the way.