Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaiser Phoenix

Cancelled
May 12, 2005
I think that the person who started this is just so biased. Yes dells are cheap but the cost performance ratio is superb in my opinion in siginificance to their monitors. (computers too).

It uses the same panel as someone pointed out from LG-Phillips but its considerably cheaper. At that price point, I think youre getting more than you pay for in the sense that in terms of functionality, its the same or even better than the ACD due to the increased amount of outputs.

That being said...which one will I buy? Ill buy the ACD. Why?

Because for me, no matter what my PC looks like, the monitor is your point of interaction and aesthetically speaking, the ACD is superb and nice to look at and fits in your living room and doesnt make it look so PCish or techy ish.

jus my 2c

mattster16

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2004
Iyan said:
My company was trying to save 200 bucks to buy a Dell instead of buying an Apple. Unfortunately even under regular daylight condition you can see the huge backlight halo when the monitor was set to Windows XP (blue background). It's such an unpleasant experience for image capture and editing.

That's pretty interesting. On my campus we have an IT lab filled with about 40 Dell 24" 2405FPW monitors. All with either Windows XP (blue background) or Unix running. Not a single one exhibits a backlight halo or any of the issues you have described in this thread. In fact, having used just about every computer in the lab over the last two semesters 3 days a week, I haven't seen a single defect in any of them.

Also, how did you do all these monitor comparisons? Go to the Apple store and ask them to turn off the lights for you? Or do you happen to be wealthy enough to buy one of each of these. I doubt that, seeing as not a single system you list in your signature is newer than a G4.

jrk07

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2005
When will the arguing between Dell and Apple monitor owners end?! The sad thing is that 95% of the Dell and Apple monitor owners are happy and don't care what each other buy, but that other 5% just feels like they need to make it an issue and feel like they are doing a service for the companies by ranting and raving about a certain brand.

Get over it, get on with it, people buy what they want and nobody else should care.

chosenwolf

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2006
Los Angeles
topgunn said:
I often times turn off all my lights at night, kick back and watch my favorite black screen saver.

LOL!

I have the 2005FPW and I also enjoy watching my black screensaver at night. And if my Dell monitor ever burns out doing it or any other tihng, I have 3 years of included warrranty absolutely free. Can you believe that?!?! I didn't even have to buy "Dell Care!!!!!" I just saved $349 not to mention another $300 compared to Apple's Cinema Display.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
Iyan said:
Well, some people buy $20 underwear named Banana Rebublic, some people buy $10 Old Navy. They are made with same fabrics, or even maybe same OEM, do you think they are the same? I guess not every one likes to be cheap A_ss!

LIFE IS PRECIOUS, DON'T BE CHEAP IF YOU HAVE OPPORTUNITY.

You have to be kidding right? life is preicious... so buy $20 underwear. :eek:

Marketing has you very confused... it sounds to me like your priorities are kinda in the wrong place. The idea that someone should always buy the most expensive and paying anything less would be a shame because life is so precious... is inane. I think if you work hard everyday, earn a living and can afford the things you want without being in debt or killing yourself with overtime, and have free time to live and enjoy your family.. you might be living life a little more fully than if you own a Apple LCD and wear bananna republic clothing.

There is an enormous price difference between the Apple and Dell screens... in the end, its the consumer who has to make a decision as to their wants, needs and budget. However, to imply that anyone who doesn't own an Apple screen is living less of a life... is pure rubbish my friend.

EDIT:
Also... so you know, you can edit your user CP so that the systems you include at the end of every message.... shows up in your signature. I mean what do you do.. paste it in every time?

G4 Cube 450
Powermac G4 dual 1.25, ACD 20-inch

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
jrk07 said:
When will the arguing between Dell and Apple monitor owners end?! The sad thing is that 95% of the Dell and Apple monitor owners are happy and don't care what each other buy, but that other 5% just feels like they need to make it an issue and feel like they are doing a service for the companies by ranting and raving about a certain brand.

Get over it, get on with it, people buy what they want and nobody else should care.

I noticed most of this thread is pointing out that the guy who started this thread is just trolling and full of it.

If you read his post he showing inconstenctis in them and what he claims. One post on how he compared all these differnt monitors. Then his system that he owns.

Then he like oh I work for such and such company. I thinking he just in high school on how he is asking. All of his post dell pretty much with trashing dell. He is what you call a fanboy of apple and makes the apple comminty look like trash and why a lot of people refuse to get a mac because of people like him.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Spanky Deluxe said:
Speak for yourself!! Last night I sat watching five hours of blackness on my screen. I cracked a beer open, relaxed and stared at it for hours. I'm trying to organise a six hour screening of nothingness for my mates next week. Its going to rock!!
Maybe we can make it a global screening with folks from around the world.

I'll be drinking some Sapporo Black Label beer myself. :D

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Iyan said:
Well, some people buy $20 underwear named Banana Rebublic, some people buy $10 Old Navy. They are made with same fabrics, or even maybe same OEM, do you think they are the same? I guess not every one likes to be cheap A_ss!

LIFE IS PRECIOUS, DON'T BE CHEAP IF YOU HAVE OPPORTUNITY.
Say what?!

Man, marketing must completely have you hook line and sinker. Yikes!

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
As stated before, the 2005FPW (think I got that model number right) and the 20" ACD are the exact same thing except in different casing. The ACD will have the same issue as the Dell does.

badmofo9000

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2005
Shores of Lake Michigan
yg17 said:
As stated before, the 2005FPW (think I got that model number right) and the 20" ACD are the exact same thing except in different casing. The ACD will have the same issue as the Dell does.

Well I am opposed to the idead that the Dell montitor is "really bad", the above statement is not entirely true. The Dell and Apple 20" monitors use the same LCD panel but not the same back lighting and firmware..... The different backlighting could lead to some of the not so perfectly black screen the initital poster is complaining about.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Iyan said:
For lots of Dell LCD owners and praisers, you want to know how bad your LCD panels are before you blar, blar?
1. Go home tonight,
2. Turn off every light during night, switch your Dell monitor to a black background, and...
3. Have fun and see virtually every Dell monitor has a dirty face with different uneven backlight all over the screen!!!!
4. Report on this forum your experience.

You posted the same thing in the Dell 30" LCD thread....:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.