You want the better Front OR Back facing camera?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by shanmugam, Mar 10, 2012.

?

Which camera quality to improve?

1. Better Front Facing camera

80 vote(s)
    72.1%
  2. Better Back Facing camera

31 vote(s)
    27.9%
  1. shanmugam macrumors 68020

shanmugam

One thing i am disappointed with the new iPad is the Front facing camera (aka Facetime camera) VGA resolution.

I think it works well for FaceTime but not for skype, remember not everyone owns the iDevice or Mac for FaceTime chat.

I for one, take a better front camera than the back camera (for iPad)

How often you are going to take picture than do a Facetime/Skype?

Vote your opinion, please ...

2. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

I would have preferred at least a Facetime HD cam from the MBP's in the front. I was a bit disappointed as well since I use my 4s for pictures (great cam) and don't plan on using the iPad's rear camera. I wanted a nicer front b/c I plan to use Facetime/skype to chat with my family on occasion. Oh well, as long as the mic is good.

3. Advil macrumors 6502a

In the year I've had an iPad 2, I can honestly tell you that I've never used the back camera. I've skyped/facetimed dozens of times, and I've dicked around on photobooth plenty too, it's really, really disappointing that they didn't do anything to upgrade the front camera.

I wonder if the front camera will look even worse now that the resolution is doubled...

4. Zetaprime macrumors 65816

The tiny lens opening in front may be what's limiting the camera. There's probably only so much you can get from a lens the size of a pinhead.

5. shanmugam thread starter macrumors 68020

shanmugam

i am with you, my feelings are the same. I think apple dropped the ball here, they should have given the importance to front than the back camera.

Let us see for more votes.

6. maclook macrumors 65816

Apple's so particular about what the iPad is used for. They don't include full Siri, weather or calc apps. Yet they update the back camera and not the front.

Though for now, I do think the back camera needed to be updated. It was absolute crap before, whereas the front is still...useable.

7. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

Why is there no option for both in your poll? I would have liked a FaceTime HD camera on the front, and an iSight 8mp on the back like in the iPhone 4S.

----------

And they don't include voice memos which is very bizarre since they advertise the iPad as an educational device. Well, wouldn't you expect people to record lectures?

8. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I'd be thrilled to buy an iPad with no cameras. It's a like holding up a clipboard to take a picture. Rather odd. Certainly not something I'll ever do.

9. shanmugam, Mar 10, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2012

shanmugam thread starter macrumors 68020

shanmugam

what i was trying to find out, which is more important the front or the back ;)

yeah, we had take it both though :D

10. fullmanfullninj macrumors regular

This was a bit of a tough choice at first, but I realized that I'm always with my iPhone. If I ever need to take a picture of something, I'd rather use my iPhone just because an iPad would feel cumbersome (sadly, I do not use my DSLR as often anymore at social events with friends LOL).

And I cannot think of a situation where I would not have my iPhone but have an iPad...this is all speculation of course, my iPad hasn't arrived and I haven't owned one before. But this is just thinking off the top of my head.

11. chuges macrumors member

I think the iPad's strengths lie in its videochatting capabilities more than its picture taking abilities, so I would have much rather have had an HD front facing camera like the ones they put in macbook pro's

12. 100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

I voted for the back facing camera. I understand the concern that people do not use facetime exclusively, but I guess we have to wait and see the quality of the video link while using skype etc.. I am glad they upgraded the back facing camera so to speak! The edition of 1080P videos with stabilization is a plus in my book too! Although, an 8MP+ camera would have been better, because there is more space inside the iPad skeleton.

Also, can one record video with the front facing camera?

13. shanmugam thread starter macrumors 68020

shanmugam

Actually we are concerned about the FaceTime/Skype quality which is going to be same as iPad2 because there is NO improvement made to the front facing camera.

14. drb1992 macrumors 6502

drb1992

Like a lot of people, I have an iPhone 4S so I will never/hardly ever use the iPads rear camera. Then again, I probably won't use the front facing camera much either. I would still rather have a better front facing camera though.

15. shanmugam thread starter macrumors 68020

shanmugam

well we have to wait till the 2013 model, hopefully that has FaceTime HD camera.

16. manticore999 macrumors member

Don't really care. It's too awkward to use for taking photos, and I'm not one of the 3 people who use Facetime. They could eliminate them completely, as far as I'm concerned.

17. bwrairen macrumors 6502

This is a major disappointment. My gf and I FaceTime almost everyday, and my end looks great because she has a FaceTime HD cam on her MBP. She always says her image quality is crap because of the low end iPad 2 front camera. I was really looking forward to this upgrade.

18. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

To me, the front camera seems more important than the rear camera.

But, Apple is focusing on the resolution of the screen in this upgrade, and they can show that better off with the upgrade difference in the back than in the front.

19. DS3 macrumors 6502a

If I had to choose one to have the really nice camera (1080p video, whatever illumination, autofocus, video stabalization, etc.) I'd want it to be the back one.

Sure I wont use it often but that level of camera is more useful on the back than front.

The front one doesn't need to be great, but it really did need SOME upgrade. Just to whatever the next standard resolution is for 4:3, or 720p otherwise would have been fine. No stablization, autofocus etc. needed.

20. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

I personally don't do many video chats so I'd prefer a better back facing camera.

21. shanmugam thread starter macrumors 68020

shanmugam

22. big samm macrumors 65816

Just like the palm tablet, no back camera just a front camera is the way to go... A hd front facing camera of course!

23. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Guess I'm in the minority, I prefer the better rear facing camera....I never really use the iPad for photos though.. Might be interesting to try it out when it comes.

24. Zetaprime macrumors 65816

I think more people use their iPad for video chatting than for taking pictures with the rear camera. That's why I wish the front camera was HD.

25. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I had really hoped that the camera was upgraded when I saw that the iSight camera had been upgraded. Having an iSight previously, I would've thought it was that. But, of course reading more into the specs that wasn't the case. Anyway, I don't understand why no upgraded and no addition of a flash. Camera improvements with HD recording and lens but still no flash.