All iPads You won't believe it but I'm still stuck

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SamwellG, Nov 5, 2013.

1. SamwellG macrumors newbie

Still torn between which iPad to buy. Currently on an iPad 2 a family member just purchased. Diggin the screen size. But this thing clearly has a weight problem. Super stoked on the fact that the air went on a diet but I haven't stomached the fact that the mini is just....mini.

I plan on watching movies (streamed), reading articles, typing notes for class, etc.

Is the mini retina really worth causing this much fuss?

I'm not sure if I'll be able to decide until I hold both in my hand, but for those that already have both, make the argument for each.

2. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

NOTHING will replace you going to the store and holding it in your OWN hands.

There are too many different opinions here to make a choice.:p

What is lite to one person is giving another user back strain!

3. evasquez7 macrumors member

4. shadow puppet macrumors 6502

shadow puppet

Exactly! Couldn't have said it any better. Trying out the Air vs a mini is the only way you'll know how it feels/fits in your hands. These iPads aren't cheap. Better to get it right for what works best for YOU.

5. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

Before the reveals I fully expected to get a mini but I am in love with the Air. The older iPads were just abit heavier than is comfortable to hold for long periods but this one hit it just right. Picking up the Air is what instantly sold me. No longer have to take on undue weight for bigger screen. :D It proportionally weighs similar to the mini.

6. Macalway macrumors 68000

7. SamwellG thread starter macrumors newbie

I've held the Air before. Then the mini right after. Then my dinky iPhone 5s. Apple played us very well.

I hate reading that the air isn't portable. Maybe just not as portable as the mini? Heck the iPad 2 is portable if you are willing to hold it.

8. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

Wow.

Do you want a full-sized tablet or a more portable one? It's not that difficult.

9. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

Really? I take mine all around.

10. shadow puppet macrumors 6502

shadow puppet

The Air is definitely portable. It just means you have to decide what you'll need to carry to take it with you. A messenger bag, a tote, a backpack? Whatever. It's not that complicated.

11. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

12. AppleWes macrumors 6502

AppleWes

I highly recommend the Air!

I've tried both but since I also use an iPhone I didn't feel the Mini's display was large enough. As others have said, it's very important to try both "hands on" in the store. Try typing and play back video, do things you would normally use it for.

I think you'll quickly understand why screen size makes a huge difference (especially for the tasks you mentioned).

:eek: :apple: Never! ;)

13. darngooddesign macrumors G3

People are fools, of course the Air is portable. The Air is similar to your iPad 2, so if you want something more portable than your 2 the Air won't satisfy that need. If you found the 2 to be portable enough then the Air will be fine. If its not, just return it.

14. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

Honestly, I don't blame you for being stuck. Unless you've had experience with the Mini, it's hard to determine your own needs.

I had a Mini, but after a year of use at home and work, I realized handwriting and touch typing for very important to my experience. Those were cumbersome for me on the Mini. That was the deal breaker and I got the Air. No regrets.

I guess that begs the questions, how do you plan on/want to use your iPad? How important is $100 in your decision? What do you like about the 9.7" screen? What did you wish was different?

15. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Get the Mini. Same specs, easier to tote around, $100 in your pocket.

16. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

I was in the exact same situation and drove myself to a migraine. I just went to the Apple Store and spent some time playing on both devices. Granted the iPad Mini with Retina is not in the store, but the original iPad Mini is. The weight/size is nearly identical so I used that as a testing object. I spent a good hour+ moving from table to table testing popular sites that I visit, games that I play, reading newspapers, and watching YouTube.

I found that after 20 continuous minutes of holding the Air my hand got "heavy" and I started to switch back and forth between hands. Granted the screen size was nice, but I know that if I am on a train/subway that I will be holding my iPad and not using a smart cover (or alternative stand). Therefore, holding it was important for me.

When I was doing the holding test I did take a break between the two deceives to give my hand/arms a rest. During this time I looked at the accessories and tested out the Smart Covers and Cases that they had for demo. At first I went in with the intentions to get a Smart Case, but after trying it out and feeling the leather material I deemed that I did not like it. It functioned great; I just didn’t like the material. I actually like the Poly-whatever Smart Cover. I decided to get one of those with a clear back cover. I don’t like colored cases because the finish of the iProducts are really nice and I don’t want to hide it. I decided to go with a green Smart Cover.

Also, I found myself getting annoyed by not being able to type using my thumbs on the Air. The most typing that I do is sending an email, typing in web address, or creating grocery list. I personally do not like being required to stand my iPad up just to type. Maybe I am stupid but I don’t see how people type on the iPad like it was a real desktop/laptop without the iPad being supported by something. So, I do not like to test typing that way. I like to hold in with both hands and use it. With the Air the only way I could type was to poke at the screen with 1 finger, because the other hand was holding the device (which again was heavy) and my thumbs could not reach all the keys (in landscape or portrait mode). This may not be an issue with those with larger hands, but as a girl with smaller hands it was really difficult and annoying. Blame me for being used to typing with my thumbs on my iPhone, but whatever. With the Mini I did not have a typing issue. I was able to type quickly without any typos or extreme stretches of my thumb (in both orientations) and I didn’t get tired of holding it.

The two different screen sizes didn’t bother me. After watching movies on my phone for over a year, the larger Mini was good enough for me. So I made the decision to go with the Mini. It is also $100 cheaper with the same “insides” as the Air. That is $100 I can use towards Apple Care+ or accessories. My best advice to you is to just go to the Apple Store and play.

17. SamwellG thread starter macrumors newbie

I had originally bought the 5s with 32gigs. Returned it got the 16 and $100. So technically that extra money isn't really much. Maybe that'll help

----------

Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much.

18. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

Personally, I think the best solution for people who are on the fence would be to go with the mini. If after a few days you decide that the screen size is too small, return it and get the Air.

19. SamwellG thread starter macrumors newbie

Wonderful idea. Thanks a bunch!

20. randymac88 macrumors regular

The iPad Air has major technical problems that cripple its performance by only including 1GB of RAM. From that perspective, it's a no-brainer to go with the Mini. Stay away from the Air until it gets updated.

Apple really screwed a lot of people over with this piece of under-powered garbage.

21. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

Since the insides of both devices are the same, which makes the Mini work better over the Air? Sorry if this is a no brainer question, but I really don't know. Both the devices are the same with 1GB RAM.

22. protoxx macrumors 6502

protoxx

From that perspective you're confused. Both the Mini and Air are the same except for the screen size. Any "major technical problems" the Air has the Mini will share.

23. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

LOL... they are the exact same devices with different screen sizes. This makes absolutely no sense.

24. mcdj, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013

mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Definitely! Or the mini!

----------

Lay off the tech blogs written by 8th graders bub. You are regurgitating dumpster juice.

25. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I saw the thread title, and I thought, "Oh, yes, I can believe it!" Just wait until the retina mini is released, and we'll get posts of people saying "I bought the Air, returned it and bought the mini, then returned it again and bought the Air again, but I'm now wondering if I should go with the mini after all..." :D