Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

furious

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
Australia
here that? that is the worlds smallest violin playing for you.

apple can not do anything. your data is gone. move on. learn from your mistakes.

the best apple could do is apologise

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
xfiftyfour said:
They'll probably tell you that you should have read the inserts they'd included that gave you a sort of "checklist" of what to do before sending the lappy in - which included backing up your data.

When I sent in my iBook, I didn't get any sort of checklist, and they didn't tell me to back up.

iHotu

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2006
at large
In the DHL box they sent you, there was a very nice note to back up your files and even to deactivate your account on iTunes for this laptop in the case of a logic board replacement. I have sent a powerbook in a few times and it was always stressed that you may very well get back a new system. It's a bummer you did not back up, but this is not Apples fault. What if DHL lost your laptop?

cforand1293

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2006
hmmmm....see its more than just me....anyone else?

what if the computer got taken by a tribe of indians and they used it to hunt for deer.....what if....what if...what if....and i shipped FEDEX not DHL.....What if What if

iHotu

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2006
at large
Nermal said:
When I sent in my iBook, I didn't get any sort of checklist, and they didn't tell me to back up.

Is the OP in the US? When you sent it to Houston, they give you very clear instructions in the DHL box about back ups

iHotu

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2006
at large
What if Apple reinstalled the OS, I'd lose all my files..... better back up before I send it in.....

They even offer the service for $50 at their stores, if you push they will do it for free.

And it good that you did not sent it to Houston, they are nothing but hacks.

Good luck trying to get Apple to restore your lost data, but be firm and they may give you something, but not likely.

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
I don't think that backing up your hard drive before sending it for repairs is common knowledge. The people on this forum are definitely more computer-savvy than the general population. I have friends that don't know the difference between memory and storage space; they're not stupid people, just not as technologically informed.

That being said, every time I've taken a computer in for repairs, including with Apple, I've been told to backup my files.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
If I wasn't reminded to backup and I was sending my mini in for repair, I probably wouldn't. Well, that depends on what it was. Either way, thanks to this thread.. I will.:p

Thats too bad to the OP, not much Apple can do.

Kevin

FredClausen

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2006
KALM
cforand1293 said:
dont know, but the mac went to memphis not houston.....smart guy

Oh THAT makes all the different in the world! Boy, man if I knew that before I wouldn't have read over the entire thread thinking how stupid it was to send in a laptop for service without backing up and how you are obviously much more computer literate than I.

We all know, in our super secret Apple club which you are obviously not a member of yet, that all Macs sent to Memphis don't get warned about backing up, while Macs destined for Houston DO get the warning.

You figured it out. Apple did this on purpose and you should begin litigation. You can call me for your first witness. I'll sing like a canary about the Super Secret Apple Club. We insiders call it SSAC.

Man, it went to Memphis. That explains everything.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
cforand1293 said:
not even close to end of story. I understand backing up.....and i do it....I had the mac for 4 weeks. Ok, apple did fix my problem...BUT they did send a bad product. Thats why the sell refurb products. Because it didnt make it the first time...LISTEN......I just think apple....IN BIG BOLD PRINT....RED LABEL>.....or simply just a paper that ALL it says is be sure to backup your computer....I wonder how many calls a day apple gets about this.....Here is the thing just wait untill I get off the phone with apple then we will have the rest of the story!!!! but that in your pipe and smoke it...

haha you remind me of the episode from friends where they discover that condoms are only effective 97% of the time :rolleyes:

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Kingsly said:
I got one both times I sent in my MacBook Pro, and when I took an iBook to the store they made a big deal about backing up before I gave it to them.

It's possible that it's a regional thing. For the record, I backed up anyway, and they didn't wipe the drive.

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
For some reason this reply is hilarious. :lol:
Serisously (to the OP), you learned a valuable but expensive lesson. There is nothing we can do about it, yes Apple should make it more obvious, yes you should also have used your god-given thinker before you send it in. End of story. Now stop bullying, it's pointless.

FredClausen said:
Oh THAT makes all the different in the world! Boy, man if I knew that before I wouldn't have read over the entire thread thinking how stupid it was to send in a laptop for service without backing up and how you are obviously much more computer literate than I.

We all know, in our super secret Apple club which you are obviously not a member of yet, that all Macs sent to Memphis don't get warned about backing up, while Macs destined for Houston DO get the warning.

You figured it out. Apple did this on purpose and you should begin litigation. You can call me for your first witness. I'll sing like a canary about the Super Secret Apple Club. We insiders call it SSAC.

Ryan5505

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2006
CA
cforand1293...It seems to me that you really just learned a lesson to back up your data. I have never backed up anything on my powerbook, but if it went in for service, I would have backed up important files. Everytime I am in the apple store, they ask people to back up all files before they service the product.

As for what apple is going to do in return. apple rep, "cforand1293 we are very sorry for the trouble but we will be unable to replace your lost applications and data." You took the risk when you sent it in.

If a client of mine asked me to make a transaction of buying stock in a risky company and the stock went flat, well they took a risk at the purchase and we cant just go back in time and get the money back.

It is the uneducated people that make the educated people stay on top. If you would have been educated, or took the time to educate your self on the proper procedures of backing up data, you would have never had this problem. Notice most of the people in here dont agree with your argument that apple owes you anything.

Dont get angry at me, I too would be upset.

Im ready to here your complaints that I am wrong for what I posted......

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
FredClausen said:

If it went to memphis, it might have been FedEx, and not DHL. I used to work for FedEx, and if I remember right, Memphis is the distribution hub.

Not sure why that matters, but... yeah.

Ryan5505

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2006
CA
So it went to the South of France....

WHO CARES where it went. It could have went to Africa, Europe, THE NORTH POLE WITH SANTA CLAUSE and some little elfs!!!! THE FACT IS.... You didnt back up your files went you sent your computer in. So If you really cared about the files, I think you would have backed them up, and you didnt. SO YOU LOOSE GAME OVER!

Hello, Apple Care. "Uh yes I AM VERY ****** OFF, I sent my very important files in a box across the country and well I didnt back them up......now they are gone, and its your fault. I also posted this on macrumors and they all agreed I am wrong, but I demand I get my Hello Kitty Screen saver back on my computer ASAP."

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I cannot believe some of the anger you all have shown.

I can't imagine how upsetting this must be.

You should try to find out if they re-installed the OS or if they put in a new hard disk.

If they re-installed the OS and did not zero out the data first, much of your data could be retrievable using some third party software.

In my recent experience with AppleCare I was told it was not necessary to back up my data before bringing it in. However, I always do anyway and zero out the drive for security and privacy. But just so you know, when I was having the logic board looked at they told me there was no reason to backup.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't. I'm just saying they don't always tell you the right thing.

THE MAIN THING TO DO:

Find out what happened. If they erased it why? Did they do an archive and install? If not, your data might be there still but just hidden...ask for info from someone smarter than me about unerasing software.

If you find out all is lost you have my deepest sympathies. I am a pack rat. And I know I would be nuts.

I guess as hard as it is you just have to move on. It helps to think of people worse off, all the same I know it's hard.

Good luck.

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
Ryan, I don't know why you are being so hard on the OP.

If you think of it logically from the perspective of the average customer, it doesn't make sense for the hard drive to be erased. To him, it was probably just some problem with the power button. Is the power button hooked up to the hard drive? How was the OP supposed to know that AppleCare would go through step-by-step and potentially diagnose several other pieces of hardware, including the hard drive? The OP also specifically noted that he was not informed about the need for backing up data.

I've already established that it's not the OP's fault for losing data, because even though it's the customer's responsibility to back up data, it's not common knowledge that backing up data is procedural when sending a laptop in for repairs. Thus, it's more of Apple's job to let the customer know that backing up should be done - according to this post, Apple did not do that, and is at fault.

At this point, Apple can't do anything to recover the lost data. Maybe an apology is in order. Because believe me, if you walk outside your social circle of nerdy friends, the rest of the world isn't privy to the same computer knowledge as you are.

Ryan5505

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2006
CA
HAHA...OK well I didn’t know you were Apple Care representative here today since you said, " I've already established that it's not the OP's fault for losing data,” I have no idea what OP stands for, but I can make a guess it is original post.

You know lots of people are not informed everyday about everyday life, to bad so sad. I could tell you things about accounting that would probably increase your personal cash flow by 10%. People complain about gas prices, yet they go to starbucks for $5 coffee. Of course this has nothing to do with the fact of lost data, but it’s the game of life of not being educated and taken the time to protect your self. The uneducated "op" did not take the time to think about the possibility that hey I am sending very important files on my computer IN A BOX ACROSS THE COUNTRY!! So you think Johnny at the distribution cares if he dropped your box with a computer inside, uhm NO. I don’t care who erased the data, or who shipped the product, or why it was erased. HE FAILED TO TAKE THE PRECAUTIONS AND NOW HE PAID THE PRICE... Yet this is a person that cant find the price of .MAC?

Seriously HE LEARNED A LESSON...I understand he is mad, as I would be also.

jb84

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Look on the bright side... sounds like you've learnt an important lesson for next time. Good thing you've been taught to back up now, not in a couple of years time when a hard drive fails and you have even more to lose.

As an aside, I took my MBP in to have the whine fixed a couple of weeks ago. While it came back with all my files still on it, the service check-in contract specifically asked 'have you backed up your data?' and stated that no responsibility was taken for data on the hard drive -- as things should be.

jb84

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Ryan5505 said:
CHECK OUT THIS PICTURE OF MY CURRENT POLL.
That is NOT a valid point you are making, so do NOT use it to support your argument.

Your poll is asking whether people should back up their data before sending their computer in for repair.

But in your threads you are asserting that the OP should've known to back up his data and implying stupidity for having not done so. To point to your poll as some sort of evidence of this is FLAWED.

Ryan5505

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2006
CA
UNC-Chapel Hill 2000 Graduate, North Carolina State 2003 mathematical finance. CPA 2004, CFP currently studying.

You can continue to correct grammar or decide that my matriculation at a higher education institution is false if that is what would intend to do.

The fact is, he lost his information in the result of not backing up data; apple computer is not to blame.

I hope to see more complants from you in the future.:)

Ryan5505

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2006
CA
I am not intending that my poll or thread is to maliciously attack this current thread, but to see results of how many people would back up data.

I am not trying to provoke any type of argument, I just find that the idea of sending any soft copy of a document be backed up before sending the laptop.

His computer would not shut down, nothing to do with the hard drive. Yes why would the HD be cleaned? But would it not make sense to protect the files it stores? I also do not have .mac I don’t see the value for myself I don’t make websites or post pictures. But I would back up data onto a CDR/DVDR/iPod.

Maybe I came off aggressive and that is why Zoom is attacking. But I would value the files on my computer before sending it away.

I am sorry for him, but I see it as not taking precautions.

I am sorry to everyone

EVEN ZOOM

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
Ryan5505 said:
I have confidence that you are probably the one who has never completed one degree in his lifetime. UNC-Chapel Hill 2000 Graduate, North Carolina State 2003 mathematical finance. CPA 2004, CFP currently studying.

You can continue to correct grammar or decide that my matriculation at a higher education institution is false if that is what would intend to do.

The fact is, he lost his information in the result of not backing up data; apple computer is not to blame.

I hope to see more complants from you in the future.:)

Yes, I haven't completed one degree in my lifetime yet. I am currently studying in college at Penn State, in pursuit of a degree in Finance.

Of course, that doesn't really matter, except in furthering your embarassment that you've been given a good spanking by someone who's had less education than you.

You still haven't given a good reply to the solid points I've made in my posts, and instead continue to restate your original point - which I've debunked until you come up with a good counter-argument.

Where is your support? I've given mine.

complants

When I have children one day, they're not going to UNC. No way.

Anyways, that's enough time wasted from me today. Got to catch my flight back home to America soon. If you want to further pursue this, I suggest you take the time to revisit high school, take a glance at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_fallacy, and write something actually worth reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.