You'll never be happy.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kawasakirider, Oct 5, 2011.

1. kawasakirider macrumors regular

I remember these threads when the iPhone 4 was fresh. So many people were quick to talk crap about it.

Granted, it's not a HUGE upgrade, and it may not be worth upgrading if you already have a 4, but lots of people out there don't have a 4, and this would be a nice phone to buy.

From a business point of view, apple are very smart. Let's be honest, they don't give a CRAP about the customer beyond what they NEED to put in the phone to make sure it sells. They could release something awesome, but why would they when they could milk this iteration of the iPhone for another year?

The phone is fine, people thinking they'd get a complete redesign and an IP5 when the white one has just come out (yet another smart business tactic of apple, waiting so long to release it) were kidding themselves.

At the end of the day, you're going to buy it, or you're not. Is it worth bitching on the net about it? As stated, these threads have been around forever, and no matter what you're presented with it will NEVER be good enough for you all. Yes, apple have the capability of releasing something much better, but why would they when they could milk it? Apple aren't out to make customers happier than they NEED to be to buy the product.

2. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

Sorry, while I basically agree with your conclusion, I have to disagree that Apple "doesn't give a CRAP" about their customers. Of course Apple's purpose is to sell products, but I have never seen a company go to the effort that Apple does to design its products elegantly and ensure that its customers enjoy using its products. Have you ever seen the inside of an iMac, a Mac Pro or a Macbook? You would think they were designed for an electronics fashion show. It's unfair to group Apple in with all the other companies that just want to shove products out the door and take your money and accuse Apple of "milking" their products because you don't like the pace of their product releases. It's because of Apple's very design philosophy that its products take time to develop.

3. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I'm coming from 3G so I will definitely appreciate it. And white is a bonus too.

4. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

Exactly I dont have an iPhone 4, so ill take the 4S any day

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

And chances are, you'll never shut up. Such is life.

6. iamthedudeman macrumors 65816

How was it not a huge upgrade. The internals were totally resigned. The OS as well. So it looks the same, so. Why is everyone not seeing this? Yes the screen is the same size. Thats about it.

Really I don't get it. :confused:

7. OMGbrandon macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

8. Frosticus macrumors 6502a

Frosticus

I'm happy - it's a solid update. I was never convinced that there would be a radical design this time round. In fact, I think we might start to see an iPhone n, iPhone nS pattern developing from now on..

There is literally no cost for me to upgrade to the 4S if I sell my 4 (I did the same last year going from 3G to 4), so I see no reason to not upgrade. A solid update to a phone I'm already very happy with.

9. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I think that many of us (myself included) were swept away by the rumors of a complete redesign. I admit for the first few hours yesterday I was a little disappointed in the announcement, but after logic kicked in I will be very happy with this phone. I have a 3G after all, and I love the white design anyway.

If the redesign had these exact same upgrades, I think people would be very happy, so all of the disappointment was in the fact of no redesign.

10. kawasakirider thread starter macrumors regular

You're deluded if you think apple CARE about their customers... I'm not saying I don't LOVE their products, because I do. They make their products attractive so they can SELL them, not so their customers giggle like school girls. If they really "cared" about their customers, they could give us a lot more than what they do, earlier than what they do. They DO milk their products.

In saying this though, I don't blame apple one bit. They are a business and if I was making phones I'd do the same thing. The business world is cut throat, and you don't get ahead by being nice. They are still producing awesome phones, and my point was that people should stop whinging because they can't expect for apple to give us the best they could if they still have the potential to sell a product that doesn't cost as much to design. Even if they have the iPhone 5 almost ready to go, they will wait until they absolutely have to release it to do so. It's smart.

People should just be happy, I am going to try to buy a 4S and I think it's what people have kinda been wanting. Lots of threads ask for a better camera and things like that, so I don't know why people whinge.

Jessica, I am speaking sense. People are pi$$ed at apple for no reason, the new phone is sweet. You're probably just bitter because you resemble your avatar.

Iamthedudeman - you misunderstood me dudeman, I'm happy with what apple has done, I'm telling people to quit whinging because the 4S is a great phone. The A5 chip will change things, and if the rumors about the 1gb of ram are true, it will be excellent.

11. Frosticus macrumors 6502a

Frosticus

This.

Aesthetics and screen size would have been the only major differences (if rumours were to be believed). I'm happy with the iPhone 4's robust industrial aesthetic and have no need for a larger screen - that's what an iPad is for! :)

12. kawasakirider thread starter macrumors regular

How can you sell your 4 for the price of a new 4s? Tell me your secrets, because I'm planning to sell my 4, but I'm expecting to have to pay a couple of hundred on top.

13. charliecc macrumors regular

I'm happy again, it didn't take long.

Was quite annoyed yesterday as I'm really hankering after a larger screen device. You can say what you like about whether a larger screen is all that great etc, but that's what I'm after so naturally I was disappointed.

However, today I've decided I'm just going to move to Android. Yep, it might be a pain to lose all the apps etc I've build up with Apple over the last 3.5 years, but Android is on the up and some of the devices coming out look like they might be just what I'm after.

I especially have my eye on the Nexus Prime (or whatever they decide to call it), that's being announced next week, but the leaked specs look pretty awesome.

Anyway, bottom line is, I'm excited/happy again, it's time to move on. I don't hate Apple in anyway (although I did for a bit yesterday ;) ), if they release a phone I like, I'll be back, but for now it's hello Android.

14. Frosticus macrumors 6502a

Frosticus

I can sell my 32GB 4 for approx £300 now (offers around this mark on various UK mobile phone recycling websites). Then when I get the 4S on a new/renewed contract, it should cost less than this (as the handset cost is subsidised by the network operator).

If I remember rightly I got about £200 for selling my 3G last year, and the 4 cost me something like £209 with a new contract. So by keeping this cycle going, upgrading to the latest iPhone never costs me much.

Note that this is all based on buying the iPhone with a new contract, not SIM free which would cost loads more.

15. Alien987 macrumors newbie

In fact I think that the big disappointment came from the same screen size and nothing else, at least for me it was, a 4" screen is urgently needed for iPhones.

16. kawasakirider thread starter macrumors regular

Right, well in Australia we are locked into a contract for 24 months, and if I decide to upgrade to the 4S, it is the cost of the new handset on top per month, and if I want to get out of the current plan to get the 4S, the termination fee is way over a grand. Good luck with it, mate.

17. Frosticus macrumors 6502a

Frosticus

Ouch! I guess your best bet is to wait until your contract is up then. That's why I made sure I chose the shortest term on my current one (18 months).