You'll wonder where the yellow went...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by luten, Jun 25, 2010.

1. luten macrumors newbie

Yesterday when I picked up my iphone4 there was an extremely noticeable string of yellow blotches at the bottom of the screen (very visible when using ibooks).

This morning I turned on the phone and the bottom of the screen is now nice and white - no traces of yellow left. Looks like the explanation of the bonding agent needing some additional time to cure were correct.

I'd post pics, but the screen looks normal :)

I'm loving this phone - camera is super fast, good in low light, gps is fast, and the overall feel of the phone is incredibly snappy. A good upgrade from my 3gs.

L.

2. Rinone macrumors newbie

Oh please do post pics of before and after.

3. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Of course a published article by a reputable source (and AFAIK, the vendor selling the bonding agent) is accurate ...

4. luten thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately I didn't take pics of the blotches yesterday. And no, I have no affiliation with anyone selling bonding agents, nor with anyone else for that matter.

Believe me, don't believe me - won't bother me one way or the other - just posting my experience. Back to enjoying my phone...

5. pwb2103 macrumors member

this makes me wonder how long ago these phones were assembled if the yellow goes away within the span of 1 day. Some sort of crazy distribution efficiency must be involved here.

6. luten thread starter macrumors newbie

One theory I heard was that once the screen is used (warmed through use?), and open to circulating air, that it accelerates the curing process. Seems reasonable... but who knows. Just glad it's gone!

7. Jetwash macrumors member

Day 2 & mine is still there with no noticeable improvement.

8. phoneorpda macrumors regular

Same here. Day 3 and it still comes back after a few minutes of use. Looks exactly like it did on day one: yellow!!

9. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

Mine yellow line is still there too. Apple is sending me a replacement. If that isn't right either I'm going back to my 3GS until Apple gets this right.

10. woosah macrumors regular

woosah

Same for me. 3 days, no change. I have an appointment on Monday for an issue I'm having with my MBP, if it's not gone by then I'll try to get it replaced while I'm there.

11. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

12. Bclark1 macrumors newbie

Same here, still there just as bad all the way along the bottom of the screen. I have an appointment at the genius bar tomorrow so hopefully they will replace it there and then. Just fingers crossed thats better and I don't get any of the other problems as my current one doesn't have the signal issue.

13. ignign0kt macrumors member

I'm going to be pissed if I have to make a 4 hour round trip to replace a damn phone if mine has the issue

14. ATHmathieu macrumors regular

Same here, it's actually WORSE than ever. With a new spot showing up as of yesterday and it seems like a third blotch is now forming the more I use it (and the warmer it gets).

I'd really love to know the chemical makeup of these bonding agents. Nasty little color it is!

I work with plexiglass a lot and when I glue pieces together there is a product called weld on from the IPS corporation (funny huh?) that I use. Never caused a yellowing issue.

15. ATHmathieu macrumors regular

Got my replacement at the store. Got it warm with using multiple apps and NO yellowing at all! Thankfully!

16. woosah macrumors regular

woosah

I'm more concerned of getting a replacement where the screen looks great, but I start having the signal loss problem which doesn't plague me currently. Sad to think I'll live with one to avoid the other. :rolleyes:

17. ippikiokami macrumors regular

This whole telling us it'll be fine in a few days is total bunk. The fact that there is yellow there in the first place means it wasn't done right. Whether them waiting it for to cure and have someone check the phones before they were sent out or they weren't set right ot begin with.

We are paying some decent $$ for these phones. Would hope they atleast work as they are supposed to out of the box without any yellow splotches all over the screen.

Second day of me using it heavly and have it all over the screen still. Even if it somehow starts disappeared i'm still going to exchange it. I'm going to get a good new phone from the start. Not wait till it's out of warranty and the splotches reappear or for them to start giving out the refurbished ones.

18. phoneorpda macrumors regular

I used mine for 3 days and it didn't get any better.
    I finally went to the store and they were very helpful in replacing it.
    The replacement unit does not have the defect.

19. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

I was at the apple store today. They were telling me that a large amount of sunlight cures the yellow blotches. Any form of UV light will fix the issue. I didn't have the problem myself but while I was purchasing some accessories I figured I would ask a genius.