YouMail

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by sk1wbw, Jul 3, 2011.

1. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

Anyone using this on your jailbroken iPhone? It's pretty sweet. Works great, but I think in order to get transcribed voicemails, you have to pay, unlike Google Voice.

But YouMail lets you have customized greetings, and I'm using the Taliban greeting now. It's freaking hilarious.

2. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

installed but then deleted it... don't really see the benefit unless you pay up.

regular VVM works fine for me :)

3. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I would love transcribed voicemails, but if I remember right YouMail wanted too much for that feature. I loved Vonage for transcribed messages, GV is terrible for them, maybe Apple/Nuance can come up with something great for us:D.

4. sk1wbw thread starter Suspended

sk1wbw

Yeah Google Voice was TERRIBLE at that. But as a simple free service, I'm happy so far.

5. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Can't complain about free I guess:cool:. I was just looking at what ATT offers for this, I guess it is 9.99/month and its powered by Nuance so I bet its pretty decent. If the 9.99 covers all phones on a family plan I may have to check it out. I hate getting voicemails:mad:.

6. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I did the same exact thing. No biggie, though. It seems pretty cool as far as the free service goes and I like that you can have a different greeting for each contact (if you want).

I just don't need the transcription service enough to warrant paying for it. But it seems like a nice tweak.

7. understando macrumors member

Tried it out. Found out you have to pay for transcription services. Then started getting bombarded by texts and emails everytime I missed a call and then after they left a message. Didnt feel like taking the time to configure and deleted it.

8. sk1wbw thread starter Suspended

sk1wbw

It only takes a few clicks to stop those things... :rolleyes:

9. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

Exactly...

But...for now I like the standard app store app better, as you can read the transcribed VMs in it, while you can't yet in the JB'n app (unless I'm completely missing something).

FWIW, the YouMail service is awesome if you need the transcription service. I do subscribe to a plan for 2 business lines that get forwarded if I can't answer. Reading your voicemails exactly like reading emails is much less time consuming than listening to your VVMs, rewinding, taking notes, etc. etc.

For most personal use it probably doesn't make sense, but for small business owners, or those who get lot's of VM, it's very useful.

10. self macrumors regular

I wish there was an equivalent hack for Google Voice. I know the transcription is not perfect but it's good enough for me to get the jist of the message and it's free. And I like having everything consolidated with Google. I know Google will still be around in 10 years but with YouMail I'm not so sure.