Young business owner....hiring employees?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mariahlullaby, Oct 16, 2007.

1. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

I recently turned my freelance for-fun job of desiging web sites and promoting musicians to a full-fledged business. It's growing rapidly and I have almost too many clients that I know what to do with (key word: almost).

I have been toying around with the idea of hiring 1-2 people part time (who would work from their homes, as I obviously don't have an office) to help in doing maintentance work for some of these sites, research, and perhaps some programming (hesitant on the last one, as that could be expensive). Basically, I just need some people that can help do some of the more menial tasks (which add up with each new client I add).

Business-wise, I will just bill them as outsourced freelancers, and the legal stuff I can sort out.

The part that sort of worries me is that I am 19 and if I interview prospective people for the job, I want to ensure I am taken seriously. I'm thinking as long as I present me and my company professionally, I should be fine. But, what are your thoughts? Would you be uncomfortable being interviewed for a job by a 19 year old? I will make it clear in the job posting that I'm looking for freelancers, preferably students. I am still in college -- can I take on paid interns if I work with them? I'm currently interning somewhere else, so I think that might even be odd (especially considering my age).

I'm planning on paying these people about $10/hr so it obviously will be targeting a younger market looking for extra cash, not more expensive professionals.

Lastly, if I do go interviewing people, any suggestions for my own safety? I'd obviously be meeting people in a public place during the day and alert someone else about when I'm expected back, but there's always risk for a young woman meeting strangers.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

2. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Are there people from college that you could get involved? It may be easier to tap the resources you already have available to you. You could also consider finding and interviewing people online, unless there will be a need for you to physically interact with those you hire to do the jobs you mention.

Perhaps you have someone you already know that could get involved with your business at a deeper level?

Best of luck!

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

As you are still in college, I'd say add an Introduction to Accounting class soon, if you are not VERY familiar with the double entry accounting system.

Even if you run the stuff through an accountant, as the boss you are responsible for the money and knowing how to read the books is rather important.

4. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

could you not interview over the phone, or online? it seems it would be easy to find someone, maybe even from this forum.

what exactly would they be doing?

5. true777 macrumors 6502a

true777

Make sure to look sharp when going to interview these people, in a business sense, so they will take you seriously. Keep it to business during the interview, and don't make friends or talk about private stuff -- this looks unprofessional.

Young companies usually interview in coffee houses or lunch places. You should be the one who suggests the place. Choose a "grown up" place where business people go for coffee or lunch, not a campus cafeteria or the like. Even a Starbucks is fine. *You* are the one who should be picking up the tab -- don't let your prospective employee pay for him/herself. Be on time, have the person's resume printed out and in your hand, and have interview questions ready (e.g., "tell me about project XYZ you did with client ABC", "how advanced are your Excel skills", "what do you think makes you a good fit for this position?", etc). At the end of the interview, ask about their availability -- when could they start working, how many hrs/week, are they available on short notice, what other responsibilities (job, college, family) do they have, etc.

Never tell them you will either hire or not hire them, just say "thanks so much for coming -- I'll get back to you within five days". Basically, if you do this professionally I think people will take you seriously, regardless of your age.

6. mariahlullaby thread starter macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

Thanks for all the replies, guys (and thanks to the two people who PMed me interested in working!). You know, college students may not be a bad idea, I could just post some flyers around even, or send out an email to some of the people in my relevant classes.

I've got some thinking to do as I put together all the stuff I need done, approximate hours, etc.

Thanks again!

7. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Create an assignment to test your potential employee's skills.

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

lastly be nice and everyone person you interveiw do contact them back and tell them if they did or did not get the job. It pisses me off that companies can not side out a forum email telling some one that they did not get the position. I mean how hard is that in todays world.

9. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Ditto on that. I know someone who runs an ebusiness and is 16 years old and has 4 employees but none of them know how old he is. Do online interviews or something.

But yeah, accounting should be something you're considering too.

10. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah i really don't think you'll have trouble finding somebody. if you do, then let me know! :p