Your #1 tech-related pet peeve?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iBreatheApple, Jan 6, 2014.

1. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

It destroys me to see people consistently double-click hyperlinks. I simply can't stand it.

What are your technology-related pet peeves?

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Using a web browser for email.

That's what email clients are for.

BL.

3. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

When someone tries to start a completely off topic conversation on an unrelated Facebook post.

Example: I post a picture of myself and a friend at a party, or I post a status updated about the Packers game, then some friend or relative chimes in with, "Hey Shane, how are you doing, how is (whatever) going???" Annoying...I usually delete the remark right away.

4. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

I caught a colleague googling google so she could then use google to search the web. I explained she could just type directly in the search box (labeled google) to find stuff.

5. iBreatheApple thread starter macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

That is unbelievable! I know everyone isn't tech savvy but to Google Google to search using Google is just... 0_0

6. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I hate seeing browsers with third party tool bars. Especially those who have like five of them stacked on top of each other.

[​IMG]

7. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

You beat me to it.

My dad used to do that in his windows days, I'm sooooo glad he's on an iPad now.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yeah, I hate those too. I never use them.

9. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

When people touch the screen to point to something and leave fingerprints all over the place.

10. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

People who don't understand that some pages or programs take a long time to load, and try to refresh or click over and over expecting it to go faster. The computer equivalent of pressing an elevator button over and over and over. It's not going to make it any faster.

People who see greyed out options and repeatedly try to click on them, often getting frustrated when it doesn't work. I admit to doing this myself on occasion :p

11. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

To be honest she also takes photos of her computer screen to send funny pictures to her friends! She has a Samsung phone (not sure of the model) but only last years model. Shocking.

12. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

People who don't know the basic shortcuts, and inefficiently use the mouse for everything, e.g. copying and pasting, focussing on the address bar, switching apps. To me, such knowledge (and education if necessary) should be fundamental for any employee in an business environment.

13. bgd macrumors regular

The way my iPhone's performance degrades after every IOS release.

14. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

People who use copy/paste often but don't use the keyboard shortcut or haven't mapped their keyboard for copy-append and paste-append. Its a small thing but hey they're asking for my time.

15. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

People that really doesn't know 5 GHz ( the proper channels for real 5 GHz- they are the 100's channel ranges) and call themselves geeks.

16. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

I hate words like iTard and phrases like "walled garden".

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

iTard for me as well, I don't care about the walled garden comment.

I usually hate seeing most meme type posts, usually when they're posted, they're already over-played like safari snappier? or First World Problems.

18. MattG, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014

MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

#1 pet peeve (and I guess this could potentially be applied to a lot of things) as an IT person -- I hate it when people ask my advice and then do the opposite, and then expect me to help them deal with the consequences. Don't ask me what to buy or what to use if you're just going to ignore me and buy/use some piece of crap.

Besides that:

- I know someone who goes to Google to search for common web sites (like the site for the organization where the two of us work) instead of just typing in the URL for the web site. How do you not know the URL for the web site where you work!?

- People who constantly pick up the mouse to move it to a different position...just slide the damned thing around!

- When people don't remove the protective plastic off of laptop keyboards and the like.

19. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

I can understand that. My mom went to buy a new laptop. I told her to get a Mac. She bought a Windows 8 machine ("Mom, Windows 8 looks nothing like what you are used to." "But I know Windows!"). Now she keeps asking me to help her with it and I keep saying no.

But I can go the other way, too. My biggest pet peeve is IT people who work in isolation from their users. Programmers who write solutions, but never get out in the field and see how the users actually work on the system. IT Administration who decided what equipment field staff need, but never ask what they want. Help Desk staff who start off assuming that the customer is wrong or doesn't know what they are talking about.

20. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Thank you...thank you! I couldn't agree more.

The memes are amusing the first 200-300 times, after that...not so much.:rolleyes:

21. MattG, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014

MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Ugh, I can definitely see where you're coming from there, but from an IT person's perspective. I work for an organization that utilizes Office 365 services from Microsoft, which in turn all of our users use (for their email). Talk about a company that doesn't get it, and doesn't see the big picture. Haters can say all they want about Apple having a "my way or the highway / you're gonna take what we give you and like it" kind of attitude towards their users...they should try supporting Office 365 in an organization, dealing with Microsoft's tech support, their complete disdain for the level of service they provide their users, and not understanding what their customers' needs are. Apple won't seem so bad after that :cool:

(sorry)
    [​IMG]

22. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

This is my biggest... kills me..... grrrrrrr :mad:

Yup, I get this a lot too. Especially from family members. Ugh.

23. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

Here's something I can't stand. When you buy a laptop, there's like 50 stickers on there telling everyone what CPU and GPU and OS you have. Like anyone gives a ****.

24. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I can go either way on this one. I am in IT and my co-worker and I manage about 140 clients. Lucky for our users I am all for letting users decide what works best for them. My co-workers tells everyone that we can no longer use outlook, that we now using Outlook web app. There were issues in the past with people have 10 GB PST files, and then they go corrupt or the hard drive died and they complained they would lose all their emails. Now we have 20 GB inbox's on the exchange server, so I just turn off auto-archiving after they come to me about setting up Outlook.

25. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

Oh these are good!

My pet peeve is when folks say they're "computer illiterate"