Your 11in MBA & iPad setup

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by 3rdiguy, Nov 24, 2013.

1. 3rdiguy macrumors 6502a

3rdiguy

Hi all,
    I have this idea about buying a ipad air and then getting a MBA 11. I will get the ipad next week and the MBA 11 in the first quarter of next year. I realize the screen size is perfect for me(especially when putting things in full screen). I can do minor things that require a laptop and even do my casual browsing and movie watching on my ipad. This will be just the beginning as I am open to possibly using the ipad as a second monitor. I just want to know if anyone out there has this kind of setup or something similar. I'm sure that 11 is just right as it's very portable and is just enough computer to do the things only a computer can do. So I really like the various feedback I receive here so all you MBA 11 owners please share what you have. Thank you in advance folks.

2. dbroncos78087 macrumors regular

Can you explain why you would get both? The only benefit of the iPad Air (or even Mini) in that instance would be if you get a data plan on it. The 11" MBA and the iPad Air are going to basically be the same thing. It seems like an unnecessary purchase to me.

3. iLuvMyMacToo macrumors regular

I sold my iPad and replaced it with my 2013 MBA. The incredible portability of the MBA negates me needing an iPad.

4. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Agreed. Since acquiring my MBA the iPad sits on my desk doing nothing.

5. dbroncos78087 macrumors regular

I would consider getting the MBA and then an iPad Mini with 4G/LTE. But if it's a wifi only, then there is no point in having both.

I currently have that setup, but it's only because when I got the iPad I also had a MBP. If I had bought a MBA three years ago, then I would have gotten a different combo.

6. PrincessV macrumors newbie

My set up:

iPad mini/retina (32G) w/LTE
    MacBook Air 11"
    iMac 21.5"

with linked apps: Things2, Capture 365 Journal, iCalendar, Notes

I use the mini primarily away from home. While in the field, I update iCal & 365 Journal with notes from my field visits. I use Things2 for both personal & business "to do's". I can check the to do's off most any where. I also use the mini for consumption both in & out of the house.

I use the MacBook Air in different rooms in the house. It's easier to update my field/work notes on a regular keyboard than the iPad keyboard. Things2 & 365 Journal are on the Air as well.

The iMac is suppose to be "shared" with my husband, but I haven't moved it to the computer room yet. I use it early morning, for consumption, planning the day (work & personal). I add my "to do's" in Things2, 365 Journal, iCal & notes.

My iPhone 5 is for calls, music & audiobooks, primarily.

I like that I have apps that are linked/synced across all devices.

7. Ifti macrumors 68000

I sold my iPad2 and replaced it with my MBA11. Best move I ever made. Now I can do anything I want without the restrictions the iPad had - I much prefer a full OS rather then a restrictive tablet, and its so small and portable as well - just like the iPad was.
    I use my main rMBP as my workhorse for when I want to edit video etc, but am mostly on my MBA.

Saying that, Im actually considering purchasing an iPad Air as well now though. I would use it as a couch surfing tool for browsing YouTube etc, but it would be more fo rthe wife and kids to use, both for the educational apps and for the wife's shopping...........actually maybe its not such a good idea any more.....lol ;)

They all compliment each other. If it was just me alone, I would stick with my MBA and not bother with an iPad. However, the kids miss the iPad, and I found the iPadmore convenient for 2 reasons only - browsing YouTube videos and watching movies while laying in bed or on the couch etc! I use my MBA for these at the moment, but the iPad battery performed better on these two areas IMO.

8. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Not sure why you'd say this. The experience of typing on a keyboard on an Air is 100x better than that of typing on a virtual keyboard on the screen of an air. Plus a 11" MacBook Air has almost 30% more screen real estate than an iPad Air.

The one thing I give MSFT credit for is merging the Mobile and Desktop OS. I really hope the next iteration (hopefully within a year if Apple is smart) of OSX and iOS merge so that I can run the same apps on my desktop and my iPad.

Until then, they're VERY different products.

9. dbroncos78087 macrumors regular

I agree with what you said in the first paragraph. You made the point for the MBA but not for the iPad with it.

10. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Nobody NEEDS a MBA 11" and an iPad.

One point I will bring forward is the new FAA electronics-in-flight rules. It would allow the user to have an iPad during taxi, take-off, and landing, but NOT a MacBook Air.

I have a 11" macboook Air and a retina ipad mini. I use the mini as a personal media device only. Aside from that I use the computer for everything else.

11. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

My iPad 3 is the single greatest thing I have ever owned, but I am doing the same thing. I need a portable device I can program on.

12. jojoba macrumors 68000

You can look up the user here called palpatine. He has an iPad/ 11" macbook air set up that he is very happy with.

Personally, I have a 13" Air and 3gen iPad. As a researcher, I use the iPad as my digital notebook, and for reading and marking up journal articles with a stylus. I find the iPad much more practical for reading. I also prefer the iPad if I go to seminars and conferences away from the office, where I don't know if I'll have access to wifi (I have the 3G version) or to a power outlet.