Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2020
Looks like light is leaking all along the edge of the screen when on high brightness. Noticed it in a dark room..

IMG_0220.jpeg

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Forgive me if I'm looking at the wrong thing, but isn't that just light reflecting off of the shiny stainless steel edge?

Reactions: Tsepz

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2020
Forgive me if I'm looking at the wrong thing, but isn't that just light reflecting off of the shiny stainless steel edge?

No it's actually the regular 12 with a matte black aluminum edge.

It is 100% the side of the screen. Take a look inside the speaker grill on my image.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
I'd say if you have to lay your phone at that angle, look at it that specifically, that you have a non-issue, but that's just me.

Reactions: Phone Junky

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2020
I'd say if you have to lay your phone at that angle, look at it that specifically, that you have a non-issue, but that's just me.

I just thought it was interesting. The edges of your screen lighting up.

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
It seems to be the thing to do for a lot of people around here. Instead of just using their phone the way it would be normally, they try all kinds extreme things trying to find faults.

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2020
It seems to be the thing to do for a lot of people around here. Instead of just using their phone the way it would be normally, they try all kinds extreme things trying to find faults.

Buddy relax, was just curious if others noticed this.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I just thought it was interesting. The edges of your screen lighting up.

It’s an odd one, considering this is a new design for Apple (with a recessed screen) this may be a nonissue and just a result of the design or a flaw that they will workout how to fix in later builds of this model.

Hopefully someone on this forum can explain what’s going on there.

Reactions: Six0Four

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
It’s an odd one, considering this is a new design for Apple (with a recessed screen) this may be a nonissue and just a result of the design or a flaw that they will workout how to fix in later builds of this model.

Hopefully someone on this forum can explain what’s going on there.
The screen is glass, just like a screen protector. When the screen is lit up, the light transmits to the edge of the screen protector and it illuminates just like the OPs screen is. If your screen is on full brightness and if the edge of the screen glass is exposed in any way, you will see this illumination. No big deal.

Reactions: Madtiger27

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
I’ve looked at that picture from all angles and I can’t see diddly squat. It looks fine to me. Just enjoy your phone and try not to look for faults

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2020
I’ve looked at that picture from all angles and I can’t see diddly squat. It looks fine to me. Just enjoy your phone and try not to look for faults

My man you need glasses then. The whole edge of the screen is lit up.

SpaceGrayAlways

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
The leak around the cutout is the one area where I see some concern. If the screen is not recessed properly than perhaps there's the possibility for liquid or dust access... It's still new enough you can probably replace under warranty, there's no harm in asking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.