Your a genius if you can solve this

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Ineedhelp10, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Ineedhelp10 macrumors newbie

Hello

OK: So I have a Macbook which I updated to 10.6. I did this by restoring my classic iPod with the snow leopard dmg file, so it basically works as a DVD restore disc.

Anyway, it all went fine, but now I wanted to know how to partition my iPod so that I can keep the Snow Leopard dmg file but also use the iPod for music...
    THE PROBLEM is that the only copy of SL I have is basically on the iPod, I deleted the original dmg file that was on my Macbook.

Which means I cant go into disk utility and partion the iPod at the moment because it will wipe the disk and I wont have a copy of SL to put back onto the iPod.....if that makes sense.

I wanted to know if there is a way of extracting the dmg file from the iPod and move it to my desktop whilst I do the partition?

If you can solve this, I owe you big time

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

With Disk Utility (Spotlight > Disk Utility) select the partition that has 10.6 on it underneath the iPod and do File > New > New Image from "iPod partition name"

You're welcome. Am I a genius? No. But maybe more of a genius than some Apple Store Geniuses.

4. Ineedhelp10 thread starter macrumors newbie

Your my hero if this works.

It says 'Creating image 'Mac OS X Install DVD.dmg'

I assume that once that is done I can go back to disk utility and partition the iPod into two sections and then reinstall the dmg file and upload my tunes onto the other half??

That's what I'm hoping for anyway!
    Really appreciate your help...your a gentleman an a scholar!

5. Sirolway macrumors 6502

You mean "You're my hero if this works;" there should be a possessive apostrophe in there, as it's short for 'you are'

You're welcome ;-)

6. Ineedhelp10 thread starter macrumors newbie

lol

Actually, thinking about it.

Once I partition the iPod into two sections (one for snow leopard dmg file and the other for music) - Will I still be able to sync it with itunes and maintain the functionality of the iPod?