Your advice is needed!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TaylorDog, May 18, 2007.

1. TaylorDog macrumors newbie

I was about to make my purchase on Amazon today for a 2.0 ghz white c2d 80 gb machine for 1075 AR but decided to check the refurb store. They have the blackbook 2 ghz c2d 120 gb for 1049 but plus tax, so 1132 OTD. Now I don't know what to do. I can spend a little less and get a new one, or spend a little more and get a refurb one w/ a bigger HD and the possibility of more RAM.

What should I do?!??! Are the refurbs as good as new?

2. Igantius macrumors 65816

Depends on how much you want a black mac! Personally, I would save a few bucks myself and go for the newer machine and install a larger HD myself later.

Of course, you might get an extra of 2 with the refurb machine... but then again you may not!

As for refurbs as as good as new, you get the usual warranty and they've been checked to ensure they work ok but there might be a bit of wear and tear on the exterior.

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I recently purchased a refurbished MBP to save myself some extra money as well as to make the purchase direct from Apple.

All I can say is that so far, I'm 100% happy with my decision. The transaction was smooth, and it arrived fast (I'm in Canada, ordered on a Tues., it arrived on a Fri., and came from California).

Oh, and while I didn't get any of the bonuses, my MBP looks like it's brand new -- not a mark on the exterior of the case, the screen, or keyboard/palmrest.

4. TaylorDog thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, I FINALLY did it! After years of curiosity and waiting I've finally jumped aboard the Mac ship. I chose the new model from Amazon. A big thanks to everyone on this community, reading the posts on here has been very helpful.

5. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

i thought they replaces teh casing if it was scratched when you got refurbs...

6. Igantius macrumors 65816

Congrats - and welcome aboard matey.
    Can only speak for the UK refurb store, but it states that the machine may display cosmetic imperfections, such as scratches.

7. eyebeaz macrumors 6502

I can spend a little less and get a new one, or spend a little more and get a refurb one w/ a bigger HD and the possibility of more RAM.[/QUOTE]

I am pretty sure both of those computers can take the same amount of ram.