Your advice would be appreciated! Few quick qs

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ilovepeaches, Jul 24, 2011.

1. ilovepeaches macrumors newbie

So, forewarning, I'm a total newbie, I just read a couple hours worth of info on hacktivation, jailbreaking, all that fun stuff and my head is still whirling. But hopefully this means that my questions will be quick to answer for all you tech saavy experts out there.

My dad just bought me an Iphone 4 from China, he said it was unlocked. I made the very stupid mistake of resetting the Iphone, and now it is unactivated again - stuck on the screen that says it needs a SIM without a PIN or what not. So based on my research, my hunch is that this was not a factory unlocked phone, but rather software unlocked/jailbroken before.

I would like to hacktivate into this phone so I can use my Tmobile SIM, but I am not sure what the firmware is. When I plug it into Itunes, it says no updates needed, so initially I thought it was 4.3.4, but since my dad bought this phone a couple weeks ago when 4.3.4 hadn't been released yet, I now think it might be 4.3.3.

So can anyone venture a guess as to which firmware the phone is? And what would be the best way to hacktivate it so that it's untethered? I was planning, that if it is 4.3.4, to downgrade it to 4.3.3 and use redsn0w's latest version.

2. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

From where did u reset it ?
    Also what does phone do when u put in your t mobile sim and connect to iTunes ?
    Was it a used phone?
    And to know your firmware and b Safe download ifaith and dump the shsh blobs first.. It will tell you firmware and keep u safe too..

3. ilovepeaches thread starter macrumors newbie

I reset it from the settings menu. There was option to erase all previous data.

I haven't put in the Tmobile sim yet, because I'm waiting for a Micro SIM trimmer that my dad purchased from Amazon to trim down my current SIM. So I'm not sure what it would do, but I assumed that it wouldn't work anyway since it seems to me like the phone is locked....