Your apps are watching you

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Dragoro, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Dragoro macrumors 6502

Dragoro

Few devices know more personal details about people than the smartphones in their pockets: phone numbers, current location, often the owner's real name—even a unique ID number that can never be changed or turned off.

These phones don't keep secrets. They are sharing this personal data widely and regularly, an investigation by the Wall Street Journal investigation found.
    More

An examination of 101 popular smartphone "apps"—games and other software applications for iPhone and Android phones—showed that 56 transmitted the phone's unique device ID to other companies without users' awareness or consent. Forty-seven apps transmitted the phone's location in some way. Five sent age, gender and other personal details to outsiders.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...20083703574602.html?mod=WSJ_hp_LEFTTopStories

2. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

What you smart phone does not tell your wallet will.

The newer credit cards, that you do not need to swipe, but only wave in front of the scanner have a RFID chip inside will soon track you entering in most stores and report your habits in your local mall. The RFID readers will be every where and track what store you go into, even how long you stand in front of a counter to look at an item.

This information will be used to advertise to you the next time you log onto the Internet. It is all heading our way so do not just worry about your phone.

I am revolting and have driven a pin directly through the chip in my credit card making it only good when you use the card reader. LOL!

3. mattniles007 macrumors 6502

mattniles007

This makes me mad. I pay for apps and should not have my information sold. I think Apple needs better application process to not allow this to happen so easily.

4. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

This has been going on for awhile. It's the personal information that folks put on any device. Your tracked on your cell phone. The pictures stored in your phone with your contact info gives the government easy way of identifying just about anyone. Kiss your privacy good bye for the sake of business.

5. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

It's just like going on an internet site where your email gets sold over and over and over again. Been going on for a long time.

6. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

A lot of times it's not the developer's fault.

If you have advertising in your app, to keep the cost down (or free), the ad service will most likely send at least your device ID, and probably any other demographic info it can. The article mentioned that some apps sent device id's to up to 5 different ad networks. This is most likely out of the developer's hands. If the developer sees intrusive behavior from their ad partner, they should probably complain and/or change to a different ad network (if possible...)

Apple in the past tried to stop this 3rd party ad networks from sending this type of data, but folks like Google cried "foul play". The 3rd party ad networks need at least device id's to schedule ads to particular devices.

I think sending an ID to display an Ad is probably a legit use. Sending an ID for customer support, or to do High-Score / Achievement lists is probably okay as well.

Selling device ID's and/or Demographic information about your users to third parties is absolutely crossing the line. Everything else is probably various shades of gray.

7. jazziethomas macrumors member

This should be a warning for all of us, we must be really careful on applying personal info upon using applications, this can be really scary for all apps users.