Your best get-rich-quick scheme as a kid

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by caseycicada, Nov 5, 2014.

1. caseycicada macrumors member

I was going to become a firefighter, and steal things out of people's houses while they were burning, and resell on ebay.

Poorly thought out, yes.

What your master plan as a ten year old (or younger)?

2. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

I was a little older than 10, maybe 13 I had the bright idea of door-to-door lawn services. My dad had a lawn mower and weed whacker, so bam that's all I needed.

When I was 15 I was going to open up a car wash, I was even getting a classmate on board to help me. I envisioned cars lined up for blocks.

Not one of those "million dollar" ideas saw the light of day heh.

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

4. dianestory2 macrumors 6502

I tried to kidnap my younger sister from my parents, and hold her hostage. My crayon-written ransom note for $100 must not have been convincing.

5. kilcher, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014

kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

A friend and I sold gum in high school. We'd buy a box of 24 packs of Bazooka at Big Lots for like $5 and then sell them for 50 cents a pack. We'd sell about a box a day. Ended up getting called in by the principal and told to stop.

6. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

No get rich quick scheme here. Got my first job illegally at 13. It was at a mediocre birthday party place for little kids. We served pizza and snacks and played stupid music and dressed up in cartoon character costumes. The place was really tacky and I would never have my own kids birthday there, it wasn't open for very long. Then when I was 15 I got my lifeguard license, and that was pretty much the kick off to my employment history.

7. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I worked on Farms mowing their lawns, throwning hay in hot lofts, etc. I was getting paid under the table, good times getting into shape for the next school year.

8. zyr123 macrumors 6502

Your best get-rich-quick scheme as a kid

Grandma got me 4 huge Israeli bonds 4000 grand each. There's about 20 grand in my bank right now.

9. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I wanted to be an actor then a lawyer when I was a kid, I don't remember it being about getting rich though.

10. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

My brother and I bought some reproduction 17th and 18th century currency on a trip. We tried to sell it to my moms friend as authentic. Needless to say it didn't work.

11. zyr123 macrumors 6502

12. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

And I'm sure neither did that friendship.

13. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Did that too but with Bubblicious, Snickers and other candy.

14. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

That's nearly a 60% margin, not bad!

15. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

When I was a kid, I thought that one day there’d be a global information network, and that I would build a way to search it, and once that grew probably offer other services so people could communicate, and even design an underlying business model that sold advertisements across that network.

Obviously, I was just a kid and it was a silly idea.

16. Scepticalscribe, Nov 6, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2014

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

When I was a kid, I was the sort of bookish nerd who wondered occasionally about the get-rich-schemes of other entrepreneurially minded kids.

As someone who hasn't an entrepreneurial bone in my body - and who comes from a long line of public service workers - this is a world view that mystifies me. Yes, there were kids who hustled as kids (and went on to run businesses as adults). Then, there were the kids who bought into and were convinced by the get-rich-quick schemes of the entrepreneurs. (That wasn't me either - even as a kid, marketing hype no matter how expertly spun, rarely persuaded me).

However, if an entrepreneur in short pants was of a mind to dispose of their library (comprised of often brand new and clearly unread children's books), then they would find in me a willing buyer……

Even now, I am a thoughtful and conscientious buyer, insisting on high standards, rather than any sort of a seller. I have never initiated a trade in my life, and, on the rare occasions where I have been involved in the sort of transaction as a seller where cash has changed hands (or, rather, travelled to bank accounts) the initiative has invariably come from the other party (as when I was asked to sell my 11" MBA earlier this year to a colleague, who wished to give it as a gift to his wife).

Fascinating thread, though…...

17. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

18. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

I visited this thread strictly for the purpose of finding my username somewhere. And it had to be you...

----------

My brother did this exact thing too, but from the dollar store. Sold pieces for $.25 a piece until he was told to stop.

----------

Only 20% interest after they matured?

----------

Google.

----------

Anyway... Answering OP's question: I never did anything personally but best was when my brother almost won half a million in playing the Powerball. Too bad the machine broke before he submitted his numbers.

19. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

That would be the joke. ;)

20. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Squilly like to point out that he gets them.

21. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

And Mobilehaathi likes to correct me whenever he gets the chance.

----------

This'll sound stupid (most of what I say does), but do you work for Google?

22. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Dude it is lowercase 'm.'

23. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Pretty sure your name isn't m.obilehaathi :rolleyes:
    Hey, someones got to help Squilly out! :p

24. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Write books. Its kinda working out to be honest, but not in a very quick way.

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I never had a get rich scheme - at least one that I can remember. As a kid, I wanted to be fireman/policeman etc. I never thought about what type of paycheck I'd draw. I guess, what I'm saying is money wasn't a major factor in my youth.