Your BOOK recommendations for potential MAC user

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by OzSeb, Oct 20, 2007.

1. OzSeb macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I would just like to get some book titles that you have read and would recommend. I am thinking of switching over to Mac and want to get your opinions on what to read? To date all my Mac information I have obtained is over the internet.
    Thanks All.

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

A lot of folks swear by O' Reilly's "The Missing Manual" series, linky. I did buy the first one he wrote for Tiger but er, have yet to read it. :eek:

3. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

I have found some goos osx books at the library and on piratebay. i don't remember any names though.

4. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

When I switched to Mac, I found "Switching to the Mac .. Tiger edition" which is one of "The Missing Manual" series very useful .... :)

The book is written by David Pogue & Adam Goldstein (Pogue press)
    ISBN 0-596-00660-8

5. armani macrumors regular

6. archi penko macrumors member

archi penko

best way is i'd check the reviews, but seeing as it doesn't have any... hmm...

yeah David Pogue of NYT tech reviews is the way to go. I suspect he writes in way so everyone can "just get it".

would it be fair to say that?

7. FireSafety macrumors newbie

I was going to post a new thread, but it seems fit to post my question on here. I am getting my first Mac(MacBook) next week. Windows is just #$%$%@! So I'll be getting the new Leopard OSX and was wondering if the Tiger OSX book someone suggested would be a good book to start? Is there any Macintosh for Dummies or How to use a Macintosh book out there. LOL. If you have any suggestions on a book/video tutorial, that would be great!

8. archi penko macrumors member

archi penko

um its exactly the same for Leopard. check out David Pogue's "The Missing Manual" for Tiger.

i found two links:
    Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual, Tiger Edition [ILLUSTRATED] (Paperback)
    Mac OS X Tiger: Missing Manual [ILLUSTRATED] (Paperback)

you can check out what the differences are. but these books are great. they are like dummy guides, but the staple for get set, ready, mac!

i mean 4.5 stars out of 47 reviews for the Switch one
    and 4.5 stars out of 121 reviews for the General one

i'd say thats the way to go... :p

9. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

Not os dependant but Apple Confidental 2.0 is a good book about apple itself.

Suprising info to me when I switched from a MS world

Zack