"your bootable USB drive could not created"

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by cdude249, Apr 24, 2012.

1. cdude249 macrumors newbie

as it says from the title i can't create it, i'm using bootcamp assistant and i'm using a windows 7 iso so i can use windows of course but i dunno why its telling me this, i've done everything that its told me to do, the USB is 4gigs and the Iso is 2.33 gigs, do i need to get a bigger USB or what? oh and the message underneath says "there is not enough space available on the disk" so i don't know, please help me

2. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

What happens if you format the USB drive in Disk Utility and try the process again?

3. DARK N00DLE macrumors newbie

You need much more than 4GB to run Windows 7, even though the iso image is only 2.33GB once it is installed and unpacked it is upwards of 15-20GB depending on 32 or 64 bit. iso images are compacted files so they can fit on a disk otherwise windows install disks would be somewhere around 4 or 5. you should probably be using something more like a 32GB usb drive.

4. murphychris macrumors 6502a

Page 4 of the Boot Camp Install guide says "A USB flash drive with 4 GB or more" so 4GB seems to be adequate.

The guide also says BCA will erase the drive, but I'd try partitioning it explicitly with 1 partition in Disk Utility.

5. dragonfax macrumors newbie

I tried this. I suspect its because bootcamp assistant wants to inject the bootcamp drivers into the windows installation. This requires expanding the windows installation disk into its files (and as they above commentors said, that takes tons of space).

On the other hand, if you uncheck the box to download the extra bootcamp software, then the assistant can continue with only a 4G usb drive. You'll have to get the extra windows bootcamp software in a separate step and put it on a driver later.

6. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

You can create the install disk only with a 4g flash drive.

Uncheck the load windows drivers and install windows in bootcamp.

Create windows install disk should work, but since you will need the drivers from apple after you install windows, I would suggest getting a larger flash drive.