Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Carlm90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2009
Just got my new MBP and I'm looking for some applications that will fulfill my needs.

I'm looking for an advanced notepad for editing HTML/CSS. I'm also wondering whether there's a notepad that has good note-taking functionality as I'm going to use my MBP at University next year.

I also need a cleaner (CCleaner) type program that will help me keep my Mac in-tune. I'm wondering whether I actually need to keep it in-tune seeing as it's running probably the best operating system in the world which doesn't have all the crap entailed with it.

I'm going to maybe invest in Photoshop in the distant future but is there something that really has the power of PS in a nutshell? I really can't afford the prices they are charging so I'm wondering whether I can just nudge my way round it all and get another decent editor.

Next up, I like to write my websites in notepad but I want a tool like Dreamweaver to make other edits. Is there a free program that works similar to Dreamweaver or maybe something low priced?

What else do I need on my MacBook Pro. Please let me know?! :rolleyes:

I'm new to the Forum and I'm going to start using it properly now, so hello!

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Pixelmator is pretty cool on the Mac. I think it's about 50-60 bucks, but you can get a free trial. I've seen it as low as $20 on Amazon, too.

I'm still heavily biased for PS, though. Largely because I'm familiar with it, I think and I don't want to relearn it. If you're a student, it's pretty cheap, usually under 200. I'm waiting for the next CS version due in April, though, the last i heard. DL the trial of it and that will last you through March. By then, you'll be only a month of so away from a new version, if that's the route you choose.

To be honest, however, most people don't need photoshop. 95% of everything most people do can be done and done pretty well in iPhoto, which you already have. I don't know about you as a user though, so this may not apply. But I'd give it a shot.

I'm guessing you're a new Mac user, so I'll throw these out, too.

Seriously look into 1Password. It's by FAR my most cherished Mac app.

For note taking, try looking at Notebook by Circus Ponies. I got it in one of the bundles and have found t kind of cool. I'm not sold on it, but I think it may be my slow learning curve and not it that's bad. It's free to try, too. I'm considering moving to Scrivener. The trial looks fantastic so far.

If you use more than one computer (and even if you don't) I'd also heavily recommend Dropbox (getdropbox.com. BTW, if you like it from the web site, please PM me for a referral code so we can get more space. I'm not allowed to post the link on the forum, per rules.)

For some fun, check out the pictures forum for the thread on Geektools. It's also a fun and useful app.

Carlm90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2009
Could anyone also tell me why Facebook has just stopped working also? It's the only website not working...

Strange. For the record, I've already tried turning the Mac Firewall off and loading it again but still, it doesn't work. Been reading up on the issue that a lot of people seem to be getting and I still can't find the resolution.

Thank you for your advice. :):apple:

Edit: It loaded one time and I'm not coming off of it just incase it doesn't load again. Maybe it's just Facebook upgrading or something?

exegete77

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
I have found Notbook from Circus Ponies a very competent note-taking application. If you want something to assist in writing projects, then consider Scrivener, an excellent program for note-taking, outlining, and initial writing stage. Can be output to most common word processors.

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
I have found Notbook from Circus Ponies a very competent note-taking application. If you want something to assist in writing projects, then consider Scrivener, an excellent program for note-taking, outlining, and initial writing stage. Can be output to most common word processors.

Dude, get out of my head. =) Scary we had almost the same paragraph.

Carlm90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2009
Dude, get out of my head. =) Scary we had almost the same paragraph.

Great minds think alike, aha.

I don't seem to be having Facebook problems any more. Is it worth flushing my dnscache? I used this command but nothing happened after I pressed enter on it:

dscacheutil -flushcache

I'll begin to look at those applications that you recommended. Thank you for your time.:apple:

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
When you encounter problems, restarting is almost always the solution. In the case of facebook, I would have tried Safari -> Reset Safari. That's always taken care of any browsing problems I've had.

Carlm90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2009
I am using FireFox at the minute but think I might make the switch to Safari, a little more friendly sometimes. I am (touch wood) not having any more problems.

Can I also ask another question about the MBP.

Does the headphone jack go completely in the MBP port? So e.g. the white plastic of iPhone headphones is completely touching it or is there like a 1mm gap between the plastic and the aluminum body of the MBP. Just seems like it's not as secure as it could be. Anyone would think I have OCD. :rolleyes:

Carlm90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2009
Also do I seriously need to look at anti-virus applications for my MBP? Much appreciated.

Edit: The Facebook issue has arisen again, anyone help with this issue? It won't load :(

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Also do I seriously need to look at anti-virus applications for my MBP? Much appreciated.

Edit: The Facebook issue has arisen again, anyone help with this issue? It won't load :(

No, you don't. I use the built-in firewall. But you don't need a AV program. Don't be stupid and click every link in emails and you shouldn't run into problems.

Consider running your main account as a standard user, not as an admin, too. I don't do this, but it's not a bad idea.

No idea on the FB thing.

Carlm90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2009
Ok thanks. I'm careful anyway so emails etc shouldn't be a problem.

I heard changing the MTU to 1400 is the answer to the Facebook issue, could anyone confirm this works?

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Ok thanks. I'm careful anyway so emails etc shouldn't be a problem.

You'll be fine. =) I've been using Macs for... I forget. iMac G5 no built in camera days. (4 years, 5?) and I've never had any sort of virus/problem, though I'd had many problems over the years on PCs.

Despite one of my coworkers love to forward me articles that say, "Look, Macs have viruses," the fact is, it's not a problem. The only problems I've seen actually in the wild were from people downloading stolen software via bit torrent and other share services. (I think this happened for either iWork or iLife.)

Be somewhat discerning for clicking links, buy software legally, and download software from trustworthy sources and I doubt you'll ever run into problems.

And, I'm serious about 1Password!

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Does 1password work similar to my application on my iPhone?

And then some. It stores logins/passwords, software keys, secure notes, personal info, credit cards/wallet items, etc. It features browser integration that allows auto-fill of logins and form completion with a couple of clicks or key strokes.

Carlm90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2009
Oh great, useful then. ;)

I'll wait a little as it costs $39.95. I get the feeling there are some great pieces of software for Mac at a really low price.

exegete77

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
As long as great minds are still thinking alike :D, I can affirm the value of 1Password. Excellent program.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.