Your Computer is compromised with a Virus ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by siam, Jun 11, 2011.

1. siam macrumors regular

I am using my iMac ( running 10.6.7. ) and surfing the internet using both Firefox and Safari , when I go to one particular web site , I get this come on screen ..

[​IMG]

this happens when using either Firefox or Safrai , Ive tried every thing I know to stop this happening - clear browsing history etc, - change DNS - but still no luck , even scan with Sophos . The screen shot is from when I was using Safari , when I use Firefox I get the same warning but with out the red cookie part - Any ideas how to stop this thorn in my side please :confused:

2. Bear macrumors G3

Looking at the text near the bottom, it may be someone else using the same ISP as you that is causing the issue. I'm basing this on what it says under "What happened?".

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any, since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install:

4. iLidz macrumors member

iLidz

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Initially I thought it sounded like Macdefender but the image actually looks a bit different ....

5. Psilocybin macrumors 6502a

Psilocybin

load of crap
    thing that gets me is its not advertising-malware anything
    or the webmaster blacklisted your ip...i cant say for sure because i have never seen that page before

6. Steamrunner macrumors member

Simply pass the test they give you, and you'll be allowed in.

What's happened is that the site you're visiting is using a product which attempts to provide enhanced security. One of the ways it does this is by trying to detect if it is being attacked by botnets etc, and it's detected that a similar IP to yours has been involved in suspicious activity.
    This does NOT mean you have a virus - most likely, someone else using the same ISP is infected, but to be safe the security tool wants confirmation that you're not a bot.

All you need to do is complete the Captcha (type the words into the box) and that's it. This proves that you're not a bot, and away you go. Whether you'll need to do this EVERY time you want to get on the site I don't know, but you can relax - it's not you. It's someone else.

7. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

8. AdrianK macrumors 68020

It's a perfectly legitimate website.

9. stir fry a lot macrumors newbie

LOL Its just a Captcha bro. Like the above poster said, just type in the alphanumeric string and be on your merry way.

10. whoda macrumors member

whoda

I know there are no viruses in the wild that affect OS X. I am curious, is it possible that the OP has some type of infection on an Android Phone that has connected?
    I am clueless when it comes to infections on handheld devices, but like I said, I am curious.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, they're just visiting the website from their Mac. There's no virus or malware involved at all. They just need to enter the info required to access the site.

12. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Actually, if the OP is using WiFi to connect a computer and a mobile phone to the internet, a virus on the phone might be a possibility... however, probably just filling out the Captcha would work.

13. cooky560 macrumors regular

cooky560

The site just appears as an innocent forums here