Your default email service is provided by?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AGX, Feb 24, 2015.

1. AGX macrumors regular

Hi,

everyone have several email address, but one of them is our default address where we receive all, and we use with all, apple account and all the service that we found online.

Your default email address is provided by? (Gmail, Outlook, Yahoo etc...)

Tell why you chose your solution :p;)

2. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Don't really have a default since my email (and I get loads of it...) is pretty much divided between my primary business email using Google Biz Apps and my main personal email using Apple/iCloud.

Not counting aliases I have 8 addresses. :)

3. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I use hotmail because that's the least spam I get from free accounts and I got it a million years ago, everyone I know sends to that address.

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Used to use my ISP provided email account from 1992 to 2005 ish and then switched to Gmail because I wanted to be able to move ISPs without having to worry about losing my email address. Haven't really looked back since.

For business I have used Microsoft Hosted Exchange Online in the past but switched to Google Apps for Business because it offers more features that I am after.

5. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

That is such a great point I felt it was worth repeating :) With so many things tied into your email (including probably dozens you don't even remember/know), the idea of having to change email addresses is a nightmare.

Even if you don't use a large service from Google or MS, you can always snag your own domain for very cheap and setup mail records to point to a smaller provider - then later simply change DNS to point to a different provider while maintaing the same address.

6. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

I use Gmail. It seems to have a good spam filter, clean and simple interface, loads quickly without a lot of "fluff", integrates well with iOS.

7. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

8. boast macrumors 65816

boast

GMail.

Used it as my main since private beta. My email is my name and looks professional, has lots of free storage, and was one of the only ones to provide free IMAP at the time.

9. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Gmail has been my main one, but has been getting bogged down as of late with spam.

I've created an iCloud email account, but I use that for strictly personal correspondence (not used for website accounts, mailing lists etc).

10. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

GMail.
    Because custom domain hosting is superior to all alternatives... and free!

11. gentlechainsaw macrumors newbie

Have been with GMAIL since the beta and I love it. Simple. Clean. Good spam filter. Plenty of storage.

12. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Same here. Out of interest, are you blessed with an unusual(ish) name?

I'm commonfirstname dot commonsurname @ gmail.com and I think, if I had my time again, I'd use my middle initial too. The spam, and the mailing lists other people of the same name sign me up to in error, is horrendous.

13. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I've been using Gmail as my default email service provider for years. I'm quite happy with it. I think their spam filtering works great.

14. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

16. srltzz342 macrumors member

I used to use AOL back when it was "cool" and then I switched to gmail after google bought everything.

17. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

I remember that! It was circa:never

:D

18. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Even in 1992 AOL was not cool.

Neither was Compuserve before you mention it.

19. srltzz342 macrumors member

I thought it was..... oh well....

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

One of my very early Gmail accounts is my first name last name initial. I get all kinds of important emails for several other people all the time. I've given up replying telling people they have the wrong address. For reputable services, I unsubscribe or change the email address if I can.

----------

eWorld was cool. :cool:

21. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I suppose someone has to use iCloud for their main email account--and I started using my account that way this year. Use Gmail for some things--and have tons of (mostly SPAM) on my ISP account. For me, iCloud works the best between my Mac, iPad, and iPhone.

22. Roller macrumors 68020

I also use Apple as my email provider with the mac.com suffix — I prefer it to icloud.com or me.com. My only gripe is that Apple's mail.app no longer lets me specify a different default reply:to address for the account, which it used to.

23. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

Your default email service is provided by?

Gmail.

Lots of features, integrated with other Google apps, user-friendly minimal interface, and I like the labels and filters, it helps keep my messages organized.

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

iCloud for me. I've been with them ever since the iTools days.

25. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Same here, I still prefer using the old @mac.com address I've had since 2004.