Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleDroid

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
The Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 non-VC is also my drug of choice, only on the Canon EF mount for my T2i. It really is an amazing value for a lens. With the fast aperture, I rarely find myself missing the stabilization.

This exactly. I used my original flavor Tamron 17-50 2.8 on my D50 and now my D300 and couldn't be happier with the results. It's the sharpest lens I've ever used and I've used the Canon 24-70 2.8 on an older 20D.

Vudoo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Dallas Metroplex
If I am going out of town with my family and I could only take ONE lens with me, it would be the AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II (see notes at bottom). It is a very slow auto focus lens but it covers a wide rang of zoom. The only other draw back is the f/3.5, if will not allow that much light in. But if I am at a sporting event or wedding, I like my AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II (over $2,000 it is not cheap, but worth the money) and the AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8G ED. Both have a larger f stop and can quickly forces while indoors. If I want to have more fun, I also keep in my bag the AF DX Fisheye-NIKKOR 10.5mm f/2.8G ED.

They do not really make an ALL-IN-ONE lens like they do with the macs. You will have to be thinking about what you want to be shooting, what kind of lighting is there, how are far away is your focal point is going to be, and how tight of a shot you want.

The only other thing I really REALLY do not like with the 18-300mm lens is the lens creep. if you have it hanging over your shoulder, the lens will creep out and make it easer to get hit. Before you go out and spend thousands of dollars into some crazes lenses, try renting them to see if they fir your needs. That is what I have done with almost every lens I have now. It only coast me like $50(US) bucks for 2 days to go out streetwalking and try out the lens.

Hope that helps!!!

The Nikon 18-300mm doesn't exist although I'm sure that it's on someone's wish list.

WPI MIDI Man

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2011
Massachusetts, USA
....or would the 28-300 be a better choice?

I can't speak for the 28-300 mm, but I shoot the 18-200 mm exclusively on a Nikon D7000 and I love it. It is a rather large, heavy, expensive lens but I have found very few situations where it did not work well for me.

The only other lens I am seriously considering in the future is the 70-200 mm zoom, primarily for its low light performance as I do a lot of theatrical photography and I frequently need to push the D7000 to fairly high ISO using the 18-200 mm.

DJ Al B Bad

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2010
Texas, USA
I can't speak for the 28-300 mm, but I shoot the 18-200 mm exclusively on a Nikon D7000 and I love it. It is a rather large, heavy, expensive lens but I have found very few situations where it did not work well for me.

The only other lens I am seriously considering in the future is the 70-200 mm zoom, primarily for its low light performance as I do a lot of theatrical photography and I frequently need to push the D7000 to fairly high ISO using the 18-200 mm.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll have to look into it a bit more.

1nsanity

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2005
Canon or nikon? 3rd party or native?

I just ordered a siggy 50 for the 5d2...taking chances!

Well done! My sigma 50 1.4 is one of my sharpest lenses. It's my only non L-lens, and yet it feels as strong and performs as beautifully.

Congrats on the purchase and have fun shooting!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My 35mm 1.4 Leica M Summilux lens. If I could bring and use only one lens, this would be it; it is a fantastic lens, very fast, incredibly sharp, very forgiving, and extremely portable. Since I bought it, I have noticed that this is the lens I use most of the time.

d4rkc4sm

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2011
my fav lens is ef 50mm f1.8 since moving to full frame.

cheap, lightweight, sharp, and 1/4 price of the 1.4 yet has 98% of the image quality.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
that's one expensive piece of glass!!

Yes, it is.

Ahem. I have had a rather well paid job for most of the past two years, which has allowed me (among other things) to buy a Leica M6, (so I still use film), and several (Leica) lenses with it.

I enjoyed adding slowly to it over the two years, but I didn't dare take it with me abroad, as I worked (and work) in a rather unstable part of the world, where rapid repatriation was not an unknown possibility and the thought of being evacuated at very short notice while having to leave that type of glass behind for which one paid serious money would have been a source of exquisite pain.

So, I only picked up the camera and two of the lenses this year when I took a holiday, the summilux 50 and the summilux 35. The 35 blew me away - it is incredibly sharp and utterly forgiving. One of the things I have long wanted - coming from light deprived northern Europe - was a fast (low light) lens; this thing can shoot (wide open, granted, but that is why I bought it) inside Gothic cathedrals (without a flash) and the photographs come out sharp, and clear and perfect……..

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
24-70 mm f 2.8 if I'm taking just one lense. If not I take them all, as you never know what you will be shooting when your me!
Not good for your back (see sig for details).

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
that's one expensive piece of glass!!

One other thing I'll add; there is what you have termed 'expensive' money and there is silly money.

So, I now have a serious collection of Leica glass, built up over the past two years - most of which I have yet to even get to try out. However, it was all bought 'used' from an authorised Leica dealer, as was the camera. Now, this is still 'expensive' - it just isn't stratospheric; and I can always sell back what I decide I will not require.

Some of this was opportunistic buying - I already had bought a Summicron, as the 'default' lens that everyone had recommended, when the summiluxes turned up. Precisely because I have longed all my life to be able to shoot flawlessly in low light - and play with available light and not be hobbled by circumstances - (rain, bleak, charcoal coloured skies, light deprivation in northern Europe), I leapt at the Summiluxes when they becomes available.

Anyway, the point of this thread was to highlight the 'one' lens; I had assumed that with primes, it would have been one of the 50mm lenses; no, the 1.4 35mm will be the very last Leica lens that I get rid of. It is phenomenal, just wonderful; and it renders people superbly, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.