your experience: Macs in the workplace

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by jackc, Dec 2, 2007.

1. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

I'm in the job market right now, so I'm wondering what are your experiences with using your Mac in the workplace? Previously I just used the PC supplied to me at work. Say you're in a medium-sized business that uses Windows and Office. Do you try to use your Mac at all? Bring your laptop and run OS X and/or Windows? Try to integrate your email with the office system or don't bother? Obviously you don't want to be a pain in the ass with IT to try to accommodate you. If you're trying to be the lone Mac user, it might not be worth it.

My job would likely involve some internet research and writing. As I'm sure we all can agree, I can be more productive using my Mac but if I had to I can use Windows.

2. SteveG4Cube macrumors 6502

I'm the lone Mac user in my company of about 22 employees. I've had zero issues integrating with our Microsoft Exchange server (e-mail, network drive). I'm also the only one in the building who's never been down with a virus or other problem. Not to mention I'm now the person everyone comes to when they cant get some file to open correctly, cant figure out how to burn a CD/DVD, & I recently made a DVD slideshow of a co-worker's trip to Europe. I've also become the designated artist, using basic CAD software to do 2D and 3D drawings to give customers a visual representation of the products they order. Everyone continues to be amazed by the simplicity compared to their PCs. I'd say it's fair to assume that my boss doesn't regret letting me get a Mac.

3. jackc thread starter macrumors 65816

jackc

Do you need the Standard or Pro version of Office for Mac to do that?

4. SteveG4Cube macrumors 6502

I'm still on Office v.X, but I use Apple's Mail program for my company e-mail as I find it more user friendly than Entourage.

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm not completely positive about this, but I think that the only difference between standard and Pro is Pro includes Virtual PC.

6. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    you will for Office:mac 2008.

7. jackc thread starter macrumors 65816

jackc

Yeah, I'll be getting the deal for the Media edition for 08, so I'll have all the bloated features I could ever want. I would certainly prefer to use Apple Mail if that was possible. I don't know a darn thing about Microsoft Exchange Server, I guess I'll have to ask around.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Knowing about Microsoft Exchange gets you nothing. Every implementation is different. Nobody outside your firm can tell you about its implementation of Exchange.

9. OCDMacGeek macrumors 6502a

OCDMacGeek

I would really like to use my Macbook in the office (I hate the Dell laptop they have issued me). However, e-mail is the only hangup. They use Novell Groupwise 6.5 and I can't figure out how to integrate it into Entourage or Apple Mail.

For the remainder of programs I would need that are Windows only, they have a Citrix server I can log into. Not the most convenient, but I given the crowd I probably don't need to explain my inate urge to use OSX instead of Windows.

10. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

Can you forward the Groupwise email to another email? I have Groupwise at school and I have it sent to my gmail account.