Your experience with Android 4.4+ KitKat so far?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Savor, May 26, 2014.

1. Savor Suspended

Savor

How good or bad of an update is it so far? Thinking of updating or getting a Nexus 5, but how stable and smooth is KitKat compared to Jelly Bean? I've read some horror stories with it especially phones that are carrier-branded. Read too many bugs and glitches.

For people with Android KitKat, what is your experiences with it so far?

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

No issues for me in regards specifically to 4.4 on either my S4 GPE, M8, S5, Z2....

3. N3wbi3 macrumors newbie

Only issue is that it took away the ability to root. Not that I really do that, but it's nice to have the option available if I ever want to go full nerd ;)

4. ceva321 macrumors 6502

ceva321

Horror stories are fun to read. I have no issues unless you consider a longer battery life a horror story :)

5. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

6. Dontazemebro, May 26, 2014
    Last edited: May 26, 2014

Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

It has been a living hell on the Note 3 but I'm sure that has something to do with Samsung.

Some of the issues I've been experiencing; excessive battery drain, unresponsive screen, excessive amount of apps force closing. For the first time ever I had to charge my phone twice in one day, granted it was heavy usage but that has never happened before.

7. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Not much different than jellybean. A little faster maybe and there's some newer features I like but all in all it isn't that different. Which I am fine with. Just a few things I'd like google to fix/add.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

No problems with it on my One (M7). I don't really notice much difference from what it came with originally.

9. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

No issues on gpe s4 anymore
    -Sd card access from within apps was already screwed up on 4.3 for this device, so the kit kat sd card changes were not new. I'm rooted anyways so the fix is trivial.
    -Adobe flash player has been hacked to work again with dolphin browser

I have no desire to downgrade (but I'm glad I have the option)

I would say both performance and battery life are superior to 4.3(have been using ART since 4.4 was released)

10. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

Here as well. Battery life has been totally different, glitchy, and not as smooth as the note 3 used to be prior.

Pretty disappointing as I've always defended Android but lately it's getting pretty frustrated and evaluating other products such as WP.

11. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

Battery life down 30 percent. It was good in 4.4 then got worse in 4.4.1. I should be getting 10 hrs screen on time. Getting about 7 maybe 8 on a very good day.

12. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

No issues with my Nexus 5. Everything runs smoothly.

13. jruschme macrumors 6502

jruschme

Can't complain about anything with my N7 (2012).

14. ccyu macrumors newbie

Experiencing lag and faster battery drain ( 6hours on standby usually only use 5%, now its 7-10% which is weird, since I haven't downloaded any other apps since upgrading ) on the original Z.

15. viskon macrumors 6502

My major issue with KitKat is that you can no longer move your apps onto an SD card . If your phone has limited storage, this is a big problem.

16. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

No issues on my note 3

Android system uses Alot of battery but my battery life is great generally.

17. nfl46 macrumors 603

18. Robster3 macrumors 68000

No problems expect having to kill off apps that drain your battery overnight. And suck up all your ram.
    Still not sure if kitkat is as fluid as iOS yet.

19. cpuguy18 macrumors regular

cpuguy18

Im glad i didn't update to kitkat and rooted my phone instead ive heard way too many horror storys about kitkat on the note 3.

20. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

On my N5 KitKat is a dream. It feels crazy to be at a time when all the mobile OS's are just primo.

21. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

Picked up a Nexus 5 last Friday and enjoy it so far. No previous Android experience to compare it with but have been an iOS user since the initial launch in 2007.

Only real irritants so far:
    - Unable to tap at the top of a screen (Chrome, Firefox, Instagram, Facebook, etc) to jump to the top of the page. Instead I have to scroll up quickly.
    - No SMS blocking. Discovered this one today. Seems caller blocking isn't terribly intuitive and only really possible with third party apps. SMS blocking seems to be nonexistent due to a change in the framework that was made in the switch to KitKat.

22. RMXO macrumors 6502a

KK is the best release so far for me, I'm running a S5 port on my Note 3.

23. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Nexus 4 here, battery is sooooooo much better, It runs so much faster with ART and it looks much more refined.

I am a fan:D

----------

That's Samsung's fault...

KK is amazing and Samsung ruins software all the time.

24. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

Indeed. You can't really talk about android in general from the vantage point of a samsung device with touchwiz. Note 3/s5/s4 kit kat problems are not indicative of kit kat in general

In this thread it's very important to talk about what device you're on too

25. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

KitKat's been running pretty smoothly on a lowly Moto G for me. Can't say I've noticed a difference in performance or battery life compared to Jelly Bean, though.