Your experiences with Airport Base Station Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tdgrn, Aug 13, 2009.

1. tdgrn macrumors 6502

Hey guys,
    My router just went out, I had a Netgear 802.11N with Gigabit ethernet. I do A LOT of LAN transfers, from streaming High Def Videos between my MBP, PS3 and an HP Media Server, and transferring ISO files between multiple computers. I have the devices listed above, as well as various HP laptops (fiancé's stuff) and iPhones. I also plan on hooking up a USB HDD for Time Machine purposes. What do you guys think about this? I am either going to go with an AEBS or another NetGear of Lynksys router. I will be doing this tomorrow as classes start soon and I have requirements for classes online. Thanks in advance.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I have a NAS plugged into my AEBS streaming to a mini HTPC and it's quite awesome. I don't see why you'd have any issues with your time machine HDD.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I had to reset it once, but other then that. Going strong after eight months.

4. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    The AEBS rocks! Solid piece of equiptment w/real Apple software... ;) :)

5. tdgrn thread starter macrumors 6502

If anybody has one of the new ones with the dual 2.4 and 5.0 ghz radios, please click on your Airport icon while holding the option key. It should show you your transmit rate. Could you tell me what you are getting? Thanks again!

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I have 2 AEBS (non simul) and (simul dual band) and they are nice routers.

7. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

Absolutely! Once I stop playing around with settings I don't understand (it's sort of a hobby of mine to try its patients) it's solid. It's oddly enough my favorite piece of technology in my house, even over my MBP and iPod touch.

8. nineohtoo macrumors 6502

nineohtoo

I love my AEBS. I've gone through pains of configuring other brands of routers for YEARS, and won't look back. It would usually take a lot longer for me to setup a comcast network and get all the different windows machines to work on it. My MacBook, iPhone, MiniStack enclosure(time machine also) and Express w/HiFi all work flawlessly and never have given me a problem. The only time I've had any issues is when I tried to set up dual band by making my AEBS 5ghz N and my AE G for my iPhone.

tdgrn, I don't have the newer one, but the older N one and I'm getting 270 if that helps you any.

9. SqB macrumors 6502

Going today to pick up one of the dual banders. I was planning to sell my old (not really that old) gigabit, but I just can't seem to part with it. Like earlier poster said, it has become my favorite Apple product. I'm going to keep the old one and put it on the other side of the house to extend the 5ghz signal.

I was very excited to see the dual banders with guest access. Ever since I upgraded to WEP encryption years ago, my kids have been upset because their Nintendo DS games won't work online. When I went to 5ghz only, my iphones were no longer able to connect and I had to set up my ap express for b/g to bring them back in. Now I'm going to have everybody happy again with one device.

10. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

... on the second floor of my house with the AEBS on the first floor I get a "39" but I don't know what the range is... what kind of number were you looking for?

11. srexy macrumors 6502a

I have the first gen non-gigabit and the N range in my house is abysmal. The Airport Express N that I have is better... Over the 2 1/2 years that I've owned it I must have spent days trying to tweak it for better performance but it still delivers on disappointment.

I'm seriously thinking about dumping mine on Ebay and picking up a gigabit/N AEBS as lots of peeps seem to be having better luck.

BTW - Best Buy seems to be flooding Ebay w/used ones right now - they're going pretty cheap.

12. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

I have the n version and it was a breeze to set up and haven't looked back but it does not work very well with my 360 but besides that it has been a pleasant experience.

13. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

My friend's got one and it's a nice router. Whenever I go to his house, the WiFi is always fast and works without any hiccups. Linksys quality has gone down the drain ever since Cisco bought them. It's still a good option compared to brands like TrendNet or Belkin, but it's not as good as it once was. If you are tight on cash (AEBS costs about $180) Netgear is a good option. My current router is a dual band Netgear, so hiccups from time to time but overall works fantastic.