your faves at trader joe's

biturbomunkie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2006
cali
i will most likely be moving to a cow town where there's no trader joe's around. i think i'm gonna miss it quite a bit. what are your top picks at TJ's that you think people must get? i'll attempt to try all of them before i leave!

for those who are not in the US, or haven't heard of this somewhat quirky but awesome store:

wikipeida said:
Trader Joe's describes itself as "your unique grocery store". Products sold at "TJ's" include gourmet foods, organic foods, vegetarian food, unusual frozen foods, imported foods, domestic and imported wine, "alternative" food items, and basics like bread, cereal, eggs, and produce. Some non-food items, including personal hygiene products, household cleaners, vitamins, pet food, and plants and flowers, are also available. Many of the company's products are considered environmentally friendly.[9]

Trader Joe's sells many items from any of several of its own private labels. Such labels are quirkily named by the ethnicity of the food in question, such as Trader Jose's (Mexican food), Trader Ming's (Chinese food), Baker Josef's (bagels), Trader Giotto's (Italian food), Trader Joe-San (Japanese food), Trader Johann's (lip balm), and Trader Darwin's (vitamins).

Trader Joe's is also known as the exclusive retailer of Charles Shaw wine, popularly known as Two Buck Chuck[9] because of its $1.99 a bottle price in California (although in some locales it sells for as much as $3.49 a bottle, due to varying state liquor taxes and transportation costs)
TJ's on wiki

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Smart water. It tastes good, and I have a really funny memory with them. My friend loved the bottles, I think they reminded her of an oversized something-or-other :rolleyes:

it5five

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2006
New York
I like their sweets/candy. Try the fruit jelly candies, or the chocolate covered jellied candies. Hard to describe, but they are circular, and the fruit ones are covered in sugar. They are above the wait-high freezers at the one here in Phoenix, but I don't know if all TJ's are set up the same.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
i think their Avocado's Number guacamole is good and i like the clever name, too. i'm not sure if they're the sole carrier, but they're the only one near me that has it.

sorry you'll be missing out. maybe you can do weekly or monthly runs to get your Joe's fix :)

FrankBlack

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005
Looking for Lucy Butler
Love their selection of nuts. I like the Dry Roasted Ballpark style peanuts, and they seem to have the best walnuts. Add on:

Chipotole Salsa.

Spanish Rice (comes in a box, with the rice and flavor pack)

Rice Pilaf, see above notation.

Garlic Mashed potato mix. It's amazingly popular, they sometimes don't have any! :eek: (Note about this product: I was told by someone with some restaurant experience that the same company that makes this mix for Trader Joe's, also makes it in large quantities for restaurant packaging. No wonder the mashed potatoes are so good! Anyone know anything about this?)

Their beef stew in a can. Don't poo-poo it because it's canned beef stew, it's good!

Lastly,,Their "Way More" chocolate chip cookies. Bet ya can't eat just one. :D

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
i love their hummus. i know a lot of people who can't stand it from tj's, but i can't get enough of it.
Damn you! I wanted to be the first to post that. Trader Joe's Organic Hummus. And their mini pitas (so cute! perfect snacking size).

Also love the corn bread and jalapeño corn bread mixes. Mm.

And I love that TJ's encourages folk to bring/ reuse bags. :)

Some past threads with TJ love. :p Link. Link.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
Don't got any Trader Joe's here in Rhode Island. Never even heard of them before. Sounds like quite an interesting store.

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
The TJs near my families house used to carry Peanut Sauce. Not anymore :(

I also loved their Mexican/Aztec Spiced Coco.

Currently I like the Mole sauce, Tofu fake cream cheese spread, chocolate beer, chocolate catz cookies and many other cookies/dark chocolate items, the peanut butter, weetabix, the hummus and the Gnocchi.

And the free food/coffee/drink samples :D

Zwhaler

macrumors demi-god
Jun 10, 2006
Wirelessly posted (LGE-VX9900/1.0 UP.Browser/6.2.3.2 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

two buck chuck! The cheapest wine you can find that actually tastes good.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
I go to the one up the street for:

aussie red licorice
frozen orange chicken
roasted garlic hummus and lavash bread
chocolate covered espresso beans
mochi balls (green tea and strawberry)
full-fat yogurt

and the list continues, depending on what spur-of-the-moment things I feel like getting.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Despite all the good I've heard about it, I've only tried it like, a month or two ago at a friend's place.

Even though I already knew everything everyone had to say about it, I was pleasantly surprised, cause even though it was mediocre it was pretty good considering the price. I guess it's one of those things where you actually have to try it yourself to really "get" it.

Black&Tan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2004
Their salt and vinegar chips (or crisps) are so strong they can bring tears. Delicious!

Deefuzz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
St. Louis, MO
The three things I have to get at Trader Joe's are:
Mole
the Cuban Simmer Sauce (don't remember the exact name of it)
and the Genova Tuna packed in Olive Oil

Squareball

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2004
Palo Alto, CA
Frozen Chocolate Covered Bananas!
Caribian and Strawberry Fruit Flow popsicles
Salsa Especial
Orange Juice (best OJ i've ever had!)
Soy mini crackers (Not sure what they are called but they are little round discs)

Just to name a few :)

HexZeroRouge

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2007
roasted balsamic veggies.
Avocado's Number.
Their sushi is usually good if its just put out.
Passionfruit Sorbet.
Frozen Lemonade[its 79 cents and amazingly good.]

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
I'll second that, but I'll downgrade the taste from "good" to "drinkable." It's damn good considering the price, however.

ive got one like 5mins away. Never been though :rolleyes:
For shame! I recommend you go...you're bound to find something you want/like.

As for me, you can't beat the Sweet & Spicy Pecans or the Habanero Pistachios. Both are AMAZING.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Truly, I can't even think of a single item. I love their salsas, chips, produce, soups, cheeses, frozen foods, peanut butter, breads, juices, water,... I could go on and on. I think almost everything in my fridge is from Trader Joe's, and at least half the stuff in the pantry.

Everything else, you ask? ...It's not worth eating. :D

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
Despite all the good I've heard about it, I've only tried it like, a month or two ago at a friend's place.

Even though I already knew everything everyone had to say about it, I was pleasantly surprised, cause even though it was mediocre it was pretty good considering the price. I guess it's one of those things where you actually have to try it yourself to really "get" it.
It reminds me of French table wine. Too bad the concept never really caught on in the US but I loves me some 2 buck chuck!

Those big slabs of Ghiradelli white chocolate

I always get a chance at winning something whenever I bring my own bag. (of course I never have won, but hey, the idea's great!)

Asiago cheese

Lots of others but the thing I hate most about TJ's is the plastic boxes for fruit and veggies. I can understand cherry tomatoes, but apples? That's stupid.