Your Favorite Apps!

Discussion in 'Picture Gallery' started by M-apple-T, Jun 3, 2008.

1. M-apple-T macrumors member

POST A PICTURE OF YOUR FAVORITE APP RUNNING!
    I don't have a mac yet but getting one at WWDC. So excited for the big switch. This will also give me some ideas of good apps for the mac.

2. pagansoul macrumors 65816

pagansoul

Don't forget to go to MacUpdate. And check out the free stuff (use filter) and remember that twice a year MacHeist and MacUpdatePromo have bundled sales of some great programs for a fraction of the price. They get posted on the right hand side ads on MacRumors.

http://www.macupdate.com/

On the expensive side but good to have programs:
    VMWare or Parallels if Boot Camp doesn't work for you and you need to run some Microsoft programs.
    iWork
    Reunion 9 - I love keeping my family records

Attached Files:

3. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Quicksilver. This has me addicted to it. Whenever I go to Windows, I always press CMD+Space to bring it up then get disappointed :(

Attached Files:

4. thunderclap macrumors 6502a

thunderclap

I know a lot of people use Quicksilver yet I've tried it and don't get the hype. Maybe I am just not using it to its full potential. What do people use Quicksilver for?

5. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

I love Coda!!!

Attached Files:

6. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

vicious7

Yep, I'm gonna have to agree. I am so hooked on QS that I can't seem to function properly without it.

I use Quicksilver to launch apps, search for files and a bunch of other esoteric stuff that I've found while playing with it. I'm sure there are a few other things that it can do that I haven't discovered yet.

Attached Files:

7. keehun macrumors regular

Its gotta be Textmate. Flash 10 SDK integration is so tight you don't need the Flash IDE anymore.

8. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Finderpop. I work in finder all the time for my business and finderpop makes my job so much faster.

Dockless. I have things running that I don't want others to "see," so I just set them to be invisible.

I have Quicksilver, and I can see the power, but have not begun to harness it.

Attached Files:

9. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

Whoa! What interface is that?!

10. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

I think its called Showcase or something. Hold on let me get a link for you.

EDIT: Here you go: http://www.mygnu.com/julius/proj_qs.html

Anyways, I use Quicksilver to open up apps, open my bookmarked sites, search, control itunes, move folders, calculate some expressions and stuff like that. It just saves me a lot of time and it is so intuitive.

11. Shaduu macrumors 6502a

Shaduu

12. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

13. Slvgx macrumors member

Another vote for Quicksilver.

Attached Files:

14. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Can someone please explain exactly what the hell this is? It seems like a bloated, convoluted way of launching applications, what's wrong with clicking the icon in the dock?

15. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Here's a pdf it's big so may take a while to load,once you get into it,it's the best app out there

16. G-Com macrumors regular

Uh... this one:

Attached Files:

17. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

From my understanding it is much more than an app launcher, however that is its primary use.
    Sometimes it is nice to be able to launch apps without having to find it in the dock.

I love the ability to hit cmd+space to bring up spotlight to launch an app. Quicksilver brings it to the next level by allowing you to set custom searches. So for example if I wanted to bring up photoshop I could set a search like "ps" Spotlight wouldnt have a clue what to do, but that would be the only thing quicksilver would show.

If I thought I could get used to quicksilver I think i would try it. I did try it once but it just didnt use it enough to justify it running in the background.

18. three macrumors 6502a

three

My favourite application has to be CoverSutra. I recently purchased this amazing application, I'm not on my Mac at home but here's a screen shot from their website.

http://coversutra.com/i/screenshot5.png

Quicksilver is a great application too, I use it.

19. deathbyart macrumors regular

I do not understand why this is so popular. It looked cool on my desktop, thats all I got out of it.. :p

20. Shaduu macrumors 6502a

Shaduu

I use CoverSutra as more of an iTunes controller than eye candy. See, I run iTunes on a separate space and, being the lazy sod I am, I can't be bothered to switch spaces just to change track or pause my music.

Ctrl+Command+Right = Skip track
    Ctrl+Command+Space = Pause
    Ctrl+Command+S = Enable/disable shuffle

I also use it to scrobble my music to last.fm.

21. deathbyart macrumors regular

I just didn't see the point because you still have to run itunes. Plus I have an apple remote sitting next to me..
    I am going to check out this Quicksilver, just because I still don't get it. :eek:

22. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

That link i posted a few posts up is a good start,it'll tell that it aint just a fancy way to open apps