Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
I like Google Reader. It may be web-based, but I like it, especially since I can access it from work and don't have to worry about syncing or anything.

okrelayer

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2008
i have tried many RSS readers for mac. Even the built in ones (mail, safari). But i have set on useing Google Reader. As the poster above said, it keeps everything sync. Between my home computer, iPhone, and work computer. Very good web app there.

Dunmail

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2009
Skipton, UK
Hey guys,
What RSS reader is the best? I don't want it be web based.
-Eric

Let's get this straight - you are looking for a non-web based app to view web content?

I tried several RSS readers on the PC but in the end settled on one of the on-line aggregators - free; works anywhere I can get internet access; if I add a feed from one machine I can see it from others. No idea of RSS apps on the Mac but I don't really see the point now.

Badradio

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2004
Manchester
I really like Times that came with the Macheist bundle, but it suits how I read the feeds. I'm not interested in seeing the data the second it comes in - I prefer to launch the app and read the articles like a newspaper, then shut it down. It might be bit innefficient for people who want to be constantly updated, although it does sound a chime when new articles are received.

SamNeeds

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2007
I was going to say NetNewsWire but Vienna looks pretty good so I will reserve judgement until I've used that.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
I really like Times that came with the Macheist bundle, but it suits how I read the feeds. I'm not interested in seeing the data the second it comes in - I prefer to launch the app and read the articles like a newspaper, then shut it down. It might be bit innefficient for people who want to be constantly updated, although it does sound a chime when new articles are received.

My problem with Times is that it doesn't always update (sometime for a day or so), and the newest article isn't always listed first.

tongteh

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2008
My problem with Times is that it doesn't always update (sometime for a day or so), and the newest article isn't always listed first.

yea, there are many problems with times.. its good for news reading i suppose, but not for something you need constant update.. :D

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
I use Google Reader inside a Fluid application with Helvetireader applied. So it feels like a desktop application.

I have tried most of them but this solution is what I really like. Just until Google breaks Helvetireader and I have to wait for an update, then I start looking elsewhere;
NewsFire is an application I really like if it has to be a native OS X app and not something web based. The first rss reader I bought.

Times is having some character issues with some of the websites I subscribe to.

NetNewsWire is great but a little overkill I think. Atleast for my rss usage.

Vienna I have tried but it has some UI mistakes I don't like(don't know if that is still the case though).

I would recommend NewsFire for that desktop application feeling and Google Reader with Helvetireader inside a Fluid application.

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota
Another vote for Vienna. I've used NetNewswire when I would read stories on the computer and on my phone. It sync'd up nicely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.