Your favourite open source/freeware apps for osx leopard?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BENI, Aug 14, 2009.

1. BENI macrumors regular

BENI

I have been searching for this kind of database of really good open source or freeware (No Shareware Please) and there are some sites, but I want to hear it from the users of the apps.

This I hope will act as a resource for other people searching for this kind of thing.

please leave the name of the program and a small explanation. don't worry too much about repeats but I would be nice not to have masses of duplicates. Thanks.:)

My contributions are:

Audacity - very versatile audio editing software.

Handbrake - nice fast DVD ripper with very easy interface although you can still use pretty advanced settings. Good for ripping stuff for an iPod.

2. Arn1499 macrumors member

One of my favs is Tux Guitar, http://www.tuxguitar.com.ar/

It is an open source guitar tab editor - can read Guitar Pro files as well as the other various tab files... It can play the tabs (MIDI), export PDF of the tabs, great for practicing!

3. BENI thread starter macrumors regular

BENI

Holy Cr*p!!! how did I miss that! - Nice one Tallest Skil

here are some of my favourite sites for free apps that I decided to track down once more.

http://www.freemacware.com/

http://osx.hyperjeff.net/Apps/

http://www.macupdate.com/

http://mac.softpedia.com/

http://www.opensourcemac.org/

and then of course there is the apple download site but it is a bit of a pain if you are just looking for free apps.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

If you're going to list apps, be sure to spell them correctly and providing a link to them would also be helpful to others. Handbrake.

Open Source Mac

5. BENI thread starter macrumors regular

BENI

sorry about the misspelling everyone it is Handbrake.

here is a link to audacity which I mentioned earlier - http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Also I forgot one of the best! "Folx" - it is a great download manager currently in free beta form but I don't know how long for so check it out.

Here's your link to folx angelwatt - http://mac.eltima.com/download-manager.html
    (I have already given a link to "open source mac" by the way angelwatt just keep your eyes open for any rouge misspellings)

Keep it up guys this is great!

6. kasakka macrumors 68000

Hey, this is actually great! Exactly what I've been looking for Guitar Pro tabs. Thanks for the tip! I've only needed a viewer for GP tabs so I didn't feel like buying the bloated Guitar Pro program.

7. BENI thread starter macrumors regular

BENI

wicked looks like my idea of helping people find stuff is working allready! hooray!:)

8. devburke Guest

Here's what I've got:

Chax is an add-on for iChat that seamlessly adds a ton of little touches to make the whole program a lot better. It blends in so well you forget it's there until you try and use iChat without it and miss all of its features.

NetNewsWire is a great free RSS reader that just recently started syncing with Google Reader, although it's in kind of a transitional phase right now, so it's slightly buggy, but I still use it daily.

Growl is a fantastic system for apps to give you notifications for whatever. It works with tons of 3rd party apps, and there are plugins to make it work with built in apps too. Chax, mentioned above, is one of them.

iConcertCal is another. It's an iTunes plugin-in (disguised as a visualizer) that searches your local area for concerts based on the music in your iTunes library. It can even give you Growl notifications if you play a song by an artist with an upcoming concert near you.

GrowlMail is one of the plug-ins that comes with the download of Growl and makes Mail.app give Growl notifications.

Alarm Clock is a very reliable alarm clock that can wake you up to your iTunes music, and has features like easy wake (slowly building the volume) and regularly scheduled alarms. One of the coolest parts is being able to snooze with your Apple Remote.

Flip4Mac is a commercial product, but there is a free basic version offered that allows you to play Windows Media files in QuickTime. This is really an essential, because Windows Media Player for Mac was abandoned years ago, and you WILL run into Windows Media files. I guess if you're a VLC fan it probably doesn't need this, but I'd highly recommend it.

And while we're talking about that, Perian is a plug-in that allows QuickTime to be able to play a ton of formats that it can't natively. I never use VLC because with Flip4Mac and Perian, QuickTime's got me covered.

Handbrake's already been mentioned, so I won't go too into it, but it's great for ripping DVDs, provided you at least have VLC on your system (which is why I do).

Hulu Desktop is an official player from Hulu that allows you full access to Hulu and can be completely controlled with an Apple Remote. It's awesome.

Quicksilver is really powerful. I'm not even sure what I'd call it. On a basic level, it's an app launcher, but it can do sooo much more. A bit of a steep learning curve, but it can really pay off. It's been kind of abandoned by the dev, but here is the last version. As time and the OS go on, more and more aspects get broken, but it's still extremely useful. There is some continued work since it was open sourced, mostly on cleaning up the code, but newer versions are available here. Oh, and it's also one of the many utilities that provides Growl notifications for iTunes. If you decide to learn it, Google some tutorials. Lifehacker has some great ones.

Schoolhouse is really useful if you're a student. Supposedly there's a version 3 coming out, but the dev hasn't mentioned it in his blog since 2007, but I think it'll still come out someday. Even if not, I use version 2 for all my school organization.

Transmission is an awesome torrent client. The first choice of many a Mac user. Lightweight and simple, yet powerful.

And finally, VLC is a media player that can play basically any format. Personally, I'm not a fan. I never run into files I can't play in QuickTime with Flip4Mac and Perian installed, and I think the interface is pretty terrible. Definitely very un-Mac-like. But tons of people swear by it. I just keep it around so Handbrake can do its thing on DVDs.

9. dirt farmer macrumors 6502

Vienna is my fave RSS reader, and it's open source.

I really like the new Movist as an open source video player (search the forums here for other rave reviews). Much less bloat than VLC

Check out MacForge for open source apps. for Mac's.

10. BENI thread starter macrumors regular

BENI

nice one guys - this is great.

I would like to add:

Xmod - a great app for modifying loads of hidden settings http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/xmod.html (i'm sorry if anyone else has posted this)

and desksaver - a great dashboard widget that runs your screen saver on your desktop

and for anyone who is concerned about CPU usage - the widget is a package for a simple terminal command. I am currently using it at an average of 2% CPU so don't worry about it slowing your computer.

keep the apps coming!

11. str1f3 macrumors 68000

I'd say that Quicksilver (best Mac app of all time), Handbrake, Transmission, VLC and Perian are the best. Unfortunately Quicksilver is all but dead and hasn't been updated in a year. I've been making the slow move to LaunchBar

12. kasakka macrumors 68000

I also like Movist. It lacks some features VLC has but it's far more stable, has a better user interface and is faster. Perian is of course essential. I'll see how Quicktime X fares compared to Movist, it seems to be fairly similar UI-wise.

Fluid is useful if you want to use web applications like desktop applications. For example I've got both Gmail and Google Reader using Fluid. They show up on the dock and launch into their own windows like any app. Very nice.

13. Maagus macrumors regular

Skitch - best software for screenshots, picture sharing etc., still beta but working perfectly.

Evernote - great for notetaking, organizing, synchronizing.

Transmission - torrent downloading

14. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

OpenOffice - Great replacement for Excel, PowerPoint and Word. (I actually replaced MS Office 2008 with this)
    NeoOffice - Mildly different interface than OpenOffice but is built from OpenOffice. I used to use this as it was more Mac like but OpenOffice 3 got rid of that need.
    VideoLan Client - Great video player for many formats quicktime does not support.
    Cyber Duck - Great drag and drop FTP program.
    Coconut Battery - To check your batteries capacity versus original.
    Firefox - I mainly prefer all the extensions available as opposed to Safari.
    Thunderbird - Great e-mail app. I find it is much more robust than Mail.
    Lightning - Calendar add-on for Thunderbird.
    Adobe Reader - Better than preview for PDF's.
    Gimp - A good alternative to Adobe Photoshop. I have not used it too much. But I have read it works quite well. But I have been using PS since 3.0 and have gotten too set in that interface. (While I was able to escape Office after they royally screwed up the toolbars in Office 2007 and 2008.)
    Move Player - Player for watching HD or SD video on ABC.com, NBC.com, &c.
    MS Remote Desktop Connection Client 2 - Great for RDC sessions with your Windows PC's or work PC.

I would also mention updating to the latest version of Adobe Air, Flash and Shockwave at www.adobe.com.

15. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
  16. BENI thread starter macrumors regular

BENI

I have thought of another favorite of mine - Dockspaces http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/27841 is an awesome app that allows you to assign diferent docks to different spaces e.g. I have a work dock, fun dock, system dock etc...dock all assgned to a different space so my screen never gets crowded. It a really useful tool for organizing your workspace and YOU DON'T RUN OUT OF SPACE ON THE DOCK!!!:D

seriously try it. it is really easy to set up (although it can be a little confusing at first) and you won't know how you managed without it after a few weeks.

I would still love to know about a time limit shareware cracker - it would be so good! please!!! even a common way of removing the time limit manually would be awesome if anyone knows then let us know.

17. BENI thread starter macrumors regular

BENI

18. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

not sure if Folx will work this way but is there a program out there to allow you to download all of a certain file?

I have a website that i want to download all of a certain file type and rather than select "save as" on each, is there a program that will allow me to select a file type to download?

19. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Does not work in SL.