Your First Encounters

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zerka, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Zerka macrumors member

So I was just curious, when you first bought your rMBP(s), what are the first things you do? Besides load an old config on to your laptop :p I ask because I'm looking to get a rMBP and I'm always terribly lost when it comes to setting up new things. I know my rMBP will eventually be tailored to me, but I was just looking for a few experiences/kick start tips when getting a MacBook out the box. Plus it's always fun to interact a bit with you guys ;)

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

As you say restore from time machine.

If new to mac I would reccomend a few things.

VLC for video playback
    Transmission for torrents
    Skim for reading and annotating PDF's
    Rowmote pro for remote control via ipad or iphone
    Knights of the old republic (best RPG ever)
    Import your music into itunes and photos into iphoto.

other than just play around and enjoy that fantastic screen and the great feel of using OSX.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Just start using it. There's nothing special you have to do. You can migrate files from your old Mac, or start fresh and move files over only as you need them.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Make sure you go to the App Store and login there with your AppleID to "claim" your free iLife and iWorks apps. They come free with the machine, but to be able to redownload them they need to be tied to your AppleID.

Also it is a good idea to buy yourself a USB external drive for Time Machine backups.

If you have any personal data on there at all you should turn on Filevault full disk encryption so no thief can see your data should your Macbook get stolen.