Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
SeattleMoose

Me - 2005 iPod Shuffle 1G ("stick of gum" design). 1G memory. Came with a lanyard so you could wear it around neck. Proudly wore it at work and people would ask "could I have some gum"? Also was the forcing factor for me to replace my Mac 6500 (1997 OS 9) with a new Mac Mini (2005 OS 10.3). iTunes was the carrot that made me finally jump to an OS X computer. And finally, over a period of many months I ripped my whole CD collection (400) and carted them all off to 1/2 Price Books. Also digitized a bunch of old cassettes of my band and that sort of thing.

Wife - 2006 iPod Nano 2G ("tall and skinny" design). 8G memory.

Last - 2007 iPod Nano 3G ("fattie" design). 8G memory.

I don't use the shuffle anymore, just the "fattie". Wife still uses her Nano 2G.

Neither of us would ever buy a new iPod that didn't have a "clickwheel". We have been to the Apple store and played with the new touch screen models. No thanx. Clickwheel models provide "eye free" operation at night or in a pocket that the touchscreen, does not. And we both have iPhones so we know what the touchscreen IS good for. We like dedicated music players that are NOT wifi or cellular because we don't like any sources of EM close to us while we are sleeping.

Last edited:

rjalda100

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2012
Canada
This:

105sbuq.jpg

it's the fat 3rd gen Nano.

Over four years later and it is still used daily (mostly by my mom, who didn't have an iPod so I let her put her songs on this one). I don't plan on ever upgrading it, unless Apple ever brings the clickwheel back to the Nanos.

Last edited:

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
This:

it's the fat 3rd gen Nano.

Over four years later and it is still used daily (mostly by my mom, who didn't have an iPod so I let her put her songs on this one). I don't plan on ever upgrading it, unless Apple ever brings the clickwheel back to the Nanos.

Guh, my iPod Nano 3rd gen just died last week. Went strong for about 5 years but it started to have trouble waking up and now the click wheel doesn't work.

I'm wary of buying another used one off eBay only to have it die again. Overall my favorite iPod ever made though. I'm keeping the dead one for a while.

Mendozart

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2013
2nd gen 4gb Mini that I initially bought for my daughter, then stole it from her after she hardly used it. I just replaced the battery the other day, and am going to upgrade the hd with a 32gb CF. My brother gave me a 5th gen 60gb Video that the hd occasionally acts up on. I'm going to upgrade the hd to 120gb or 240gb.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
iPhone 4!

Yeah I was a little late to the game. There were a lot of cool advantages to the iPod, especially the original ones with FireWire so you didn't spend all day transferring songs, but I always ended up going with the cheaper mp3 players. Looking back though, they all broke prematurely and a better solution would have likely been an iPod... plus I quickly ran out of storage and was upgrading, whilst the iPod was pretty huge to begin with... alas...

When I finally made the switch to the iPhone 4, that was my first iPod. Ironically, it nows serves primarily as a 32GB iPod! My iPhone 5 is now my iPhone, and the old 4 is now a fat iPod touch.

Mdwall

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
I had a 20 gig 4th gen that I bought at Circuit City but returned because it apparently had already been sold because when I went to register it it said it had about 4 months of warranty left on the Apple site. Returned that and bought a refurbished 20 gig Color 4g. So technically I guess the color 4G was my first.

jaicigy

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2012
The ipod mini or nano 2gen was my first and upgraded to the next nano yearly ever since. Have tried them all and am now on the 7th gen.. Can't really say which is my favorite, every one has its personality and picadellos.. am already curious for the next one .. haha..

Matt.H

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2009
Wiltshire
My first iPod was a 4th generation 20GB U2 one. Regret selling it, so just managed to snag another in really nice condition on eBay.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
My first iPod was a 4th generation 20GB U2 one. Regret selling it, so just managed to snag another in really nice condition on eBay.

Mine was a 60 gig iPod photo. Pretty expensive new. It broke so I threw it in a drawer and bought a new one. About a year ago I opened it up and repaired it (it needed the dock connector to be resoldered to the PCB). Sold it on eBay for a pretty penny.

orangezorki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
I was very surprised when my Mum managed to get me the very first gen 5Gb iPod at Christmas 2001 - I had suggested it as something that I wanted, but she isn't the sort of person who knows how to track down tech stuff, especially when it's in short supply. I used it for years before replacing it with a 60Gb iPod photo. I also have a first gen 512Mb shuffle, which proved really handy when cycling around London. Apart from a brief flirtation with a first gen iPod touch, I've been all iPhone since the 3GS.

David

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.