Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PACMAC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
my first job was at sea world at the resturants ...fun times..pig out when closing.. LOL .. There were good days and bad days and wish I wasnt at work days.. Let me explian the ( wish not work days ) well I came in early to open and get the foods prep ECT... This one guy was cutting watermelons with a long knife he was cutting it with the blade down so when it cut trough the knife would hit the cutting board.. But then he idiot decide to cut it with the blade going up and the direction he was cutting was going up instead of down.. Then when he was cutting up he hit a hard part of the watermelon he push up harder then WACK on his face.. He panic ran outside bleeding like crazy.. Good thing the park wasnt open yet...

Well anys what you first job?

remmy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
night security guard

funny things is friends wanted to know if I carried a baton and were disappointed when I said no.

Did have good suit and walk-talkie though :cool:

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
As I got older from age 7 or so:

Housework
Washing dad's car
Paper round
Babysitting
Stacking shelves in a supermarket
Teaching
Designer (pretty close to babysitting ;))

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Well at age 13 I started my own company reparing computers for teachers, members of my congregation, and friends. By 17, when I left for college, I was making about $300/mo working about 3-5 hours a week. However, I came back and found it difficult to find work doing that, so I worked at Drug Store/Pharmacy, and I eventually spent extra time building new computers to with a new prescription system. After all that work, the company that was going to install the software (who required you to send them the company) lost their license to have there software in Washington State, so they wouldn't install the software or return the computers. I think they are still in litigation regarding that matter.

TEG

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
McDonald's. :eek:

My first job lasted 10 years! :eek:

crew member > crew trainer > crew chief > swing manager > 2nd asst. manager > 1st asst. manager > store manager

Shotglass

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
I started with a paper round, right now I'm teaching, and over the next weeks, I want to find a proper job, like in a store or something. I'm 17 btw.

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
My very first job was digging an in-ground swimming pool by hand for $50 per day during the christmas school holidays. You kids don't know how easy you've got it these days :D.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
working at my old day camp as a counselor...
but i graduate college and need to find a "real" job... anyone got any connections in television production :p

skiesforme

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
Teaching Assistant at the University (parallel with my Masters degree) - got me a tuition waiver and $1000 a month :)
Now with the leading telecommunication company, fetches me about $80,000 a year.:rolleyes:

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
Fur Trapper at the age 12 or 13. Mink, Muskrat, Raccoon, Fox and Marten. This was the 1970s.

It was gross work (particularly killing the critter and then removing the skin) but it was a massive amount of money for a kid. I think I made something like $1200 one season.

I got to see a lot of some very remote wilderness close to my home town and also developed the discipline to get up every morning at about 5 AM before school and on the weekends, walk, ski or snowmobile out to my traplines in the bitter cold etc.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
If we doing all jobs.

GI furniture moving
Traffic controller / parking bod at the Agricultural showground in Stoneleigh
Freelance Photographer
Medical Photographer
Working in a skateboard/bmx/snowboard shop
Freelance photographer / graphic design
Process supervisor at LG Philips
Civil Servant

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
I was a stock handler at a furniture store; I worked in the rug gallery. Got I hated that job. I had to lift 120lb rugs all day and got paid $8.00 an hour.:mad:

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
I hack/unlock phones/PSPs/PS3s/iPods/iPhones etc. for £5 each, that sorta counts...

My first real job will hopefully be something at :apple:

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
The first job where I had to fill out paperwork for employment was construction demolition / job site gofer when I was 15. Did some babysitting and fix-it work for family and neighbors prior to that.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
My first real job was in a Chinese laundry helping customers and sorting dirty laundry. Man, the odors that some men's shirts had was unbelievable. I was paid $3.00 an hour for 15 hours a week which was good money back in the early 70s.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
First job would have been a dishwasher in a restaurant back when I was...14?

Since then..

Warehouse Operative dealing with clothes.
Shelf Stacking in a supermarket.
Warehouse Operative building windows (actually pretty cool)
1st Line Broadband Tech Support in a call centre (urgh...)

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
I worked for a local print shop.

I started when I was in 7th grade and was there until my junior year in high school.
I did typesetting, pre press work, press operating, finishing....everything. It was fun and I loved it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.