Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkjj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Liverpool
First Mac

First bought Mac was a Classic 4/40, then a 6400/200, 333 iMac.

Now running a 17" iMac 1Ghz and a 900 Mhz iBook G3 30gb iPod, but I suffer from collecting old macs and accessories disease, the wife says I have far too much stuff! Main treat is the 20th Anniversary Mac upstairs which is networked (running ADSL too!) and has ben upgraded to a G3 500/128mb so is still pretty useful.

Also have a complete Pippin games console and yes (for those who know) two games for it!

A glimpse into my sickness can be found at

http://www.mac-collection.co.uk

MarkJ

amnesiac1984

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2002
Europe
Well, when I was born the Mac was already 8 months old and we had several. I don't remember the first time I used it but I remember playing this ferarri F1 racing game on it and also a multi floppy game called space quest or something, but I'm unsure of that. Our First mac with a CD player was an lc475 with apple's external CD-ROM drive with the cartridge insertion. While me and my bros used that my Dad got a Quadra 840av with a huge 22" "digital"(as in compaq) monitor. After that we got given an old american Performa 630cd which was a terrible machine, we used that for ages until eventually we got my first brand new mac, A G3 233 rev. A a week after their launch. The last beige Mac.

Used that for a few years and then it became mine when my bros left for uni, got a g4-400 zif for it and loads of RAM loads of Hard Disks a Cd Burner, yamaha sw1000xg soundcard and started making music. Then in 2002, five years after buying the G3 I got a shiny new PowerMac G4 dual 1ghz MDD with a matching 17" monitor.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
It's amazing that there are Mac users who'll never know the joys of the "floppy shuffle" !! Who've never heard of the Multi Finder, or never heard the Talking Moose. Who have no idea who or what the Dogcow is, or that it's name is Clarus. Who might never see an Apple Easter Egg again. But saddest of all, who may never see the smiling Mac on bootup again!

First Mac I used was a hard-disk-less Mac Plus, and it was enough to make me drop out of Engineering and take up Computer Science. I even bought myself a spanking new LC, and upgraded the RAM by 2MB, for the bargain price of 260 Irish pounds (about 350 dollars)! Yikes.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Mac 512 and Imagewriter 1--purchased used when my roomate upgraded to a Mac Plus. Oh, the joys of 400K floppies and Lode Runner! My B.A. thesis took an hour and a half to print on it--I had to sprint across campus to deliver it on time--but it definitely *looked* better than all the others.

12-point New York rocked over that pixellated monospaced barely legible Epson font.

Santiago

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2002
Mountain View, California
We got a Mac II back in 1987. It was the bomb--color screen at an awesome 640 x 480, a whole meg of RAM, and a gigantic 80 MB hard drive. Plus, we had an Imagewriter II that not only printed blurry graphics that smeared when you touched them, but could do so in color if you bought the right ribbon.

jkeithh

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2002
My first Mac was a PowerMac 7200 120MHz that I purchased on eBay in June 2001 to see if I would like Macs. I did. By the end of 2001, I had purchased and iMac and an iBook followed the next June by a PowerMac G4 800 MHz Quicksilver and then a PowerMac G4 Cube and in October I purchased a 15" Al Powerbook. Someone should have warned me that I would get addicted to buying Macs. :D

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Ahh yes, first Mac... a Mac Plus. Upgraded with 4MB of RAM (!). Hah... and an HD20, a whopping 20MB external hard drive, sitting under it. Anyone remember those Kensington (at least I THINK it was Kensington) fans that sat on top of the Mac Plus for extra cooling?

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
Good Old Days...

Started life with an Apple IIe with a dual floppy drive and the lemonade stand game ;)

Moved to a Mac Plus for college and needed more than just floppy storage - purchased an external SCSI hard dive for $450 - it was 20MB - who says the prices don't drop over time.

Turned to the darkside after college and as life moves forward it seems to come full circle - I now am waiting for the next PM updates to come back to the light.

ducati

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2004
Originally posted by studebakerhwk13
ducati ... you had the privilege of working with what I believe was the workhorse of the Mac line. The IIci had some of the most robust upgrade options available. Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems the IIci may have been one of the first upgradeable to a PowerMac chip. I remember those machines being used for years.

You would be correct... From the "Unoffical Turbo 601 Site:"
The Turbo 601 is an PowerPC accelerator card for older Apple Macintosh computers (IIci, IIsi, IIvi, IIvx and Performa 600) that can provide a less-expensive alternative to buying a new Power Mac. It began shipping in January 1995 and was originally available in a 66MHz version for the IIci only. A 100MHz version for the IIci was released shortly after.

A few months later 100MHz and 66MHz versions became available for the IIsi, IIvi, IIvx and Performa 600.

The IIci was a FABULOUS machine. The one I had came from a consulting firm, who bought it for nearly $10000. I had the original box, receipt, everything. They gave it to me as the CFO that owned it didn't have any software--he just bought an Apple because he thought they were cool. After he left, they had nothing else to do with it, so dumped it. It had the cache card and FPU. My wife (then girlfriend) was studying graphic design, so she got good use out of that old workhorse. It was a bit slower than the Quadras at the labs, but since it sat in my apartment it got used heavily. I still vividly remember that thing in the corner, always powered on, cat sitting on top of the monitor...

We used that machine for years, still have it somewhere in the basement. Eventually it was used to hook up to the internet (with some success) but retired as it was REALLY long in the tooth then. I can guarantee if I unboxed it right now it would fire up with a "happy mac" just like it always did!

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
I'm still on my first Mac, the TiBook 667 DVI. I came in late in the game. :)

Though as long as we're talking nostalgia, I do have a really really vague memory of doing very simple BASIC programming on Apple ]['s in elementary school as part of a gifted/talented program. We also used PET computers with cassette drives in that class....oh, and I remember the "floppy shuffle" too; my dad's work (a defense contractor) had DOS machines where you'd boot up from one floppy, load WordStar (that was before Word, or even Word Perfect came along) from another, and save your files on yet another.

Curiously, I've recently noticed that a surprisingly large proportion of my friends and acquaintances are Mac users. I'm working on converting one of my friends, too....

thecow

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2003
Timonium MD
My first mac was one of the clones made by Power Computing in about '96. The sony moniter that was with it is still one of the best crts that I have ever seen, even today. My second one was a tibook 400mhz that my dad brought home from work because he didn't need it so it was brand new and free.
icon7.gif
The third one is a 1ghz DP powermac with a 22in cinema display. About a weak after we bought it apple updated the powermacs and the displays.
icon8.gif

Ramza

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2003
Winnipeg, Canada
My dual 1.25 gHz Powermac was my first mac. Never ever want to look back at the PC world! :)

To prove this, I went out and bought a 12" iBook G4 3 days ago ;)

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
My first mac was an Apple IIc it was used and I think I got it in like 1990. Who remembers "Pizza to Go"?

Then came...

Apple Performa (don't rember model, got it in 1993, didn't have a cd-rom but had this cool game like Mouse Practice or something...)

Apple iMac Blueberry (Man, I miss the days of the color and hockey puck mouse)

Apple G3 450Mhz*

Apple iMac G4 800Mhz* (still has the WOW factor when people see it)

Apple iBook 600Mhz*

Apple iBook 800Mhz

Apple Powerbook 15" 1Ghz Titanium

Now...

Apple Powerbook 12" 1Ghz

Question: What was At Ease? I remember that being on our performa, but had no idea what it was? Who remembers?

* - Still Own :)

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Re: Good Old Days...

Originally posted by ziwi
Started life with an Apple IIe with a dual floppy drive and the lemonade stand game ;)
Lemonaide Stand! Between that, Oregon Trail, and Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego, I whiled away a significant portion of my youth on an Apple //c (after a TI99/4A), which was my first Apple.

My first Mac (replacing the //c) was an LC with the ever-popular 12" color monitor.

Then a Centris 610 with 14".

Then I tried to buy a PowerMac 8600, which after months of waiting had a faulty logic board which would take lord knows how long to replace; I returned it and tried to buy a PowerComputing tower, which were hugely backordered, at which point I settled on an inferior but readily available PowerMac 6500/250 with a 17" Sony monitor and upgraded ATI graphics card w/video I/O.

An extremely brief stint on my wife's strawberry iMac rev B...

...followed by three years with my trusty dual G4 533; that's still the Mac I have the most emotional attachment to.

I have a dual 2GHz G5 now. A fine beast it is.

I really have a knack for picking dud computers, it would seem; aside from the LC and Centris, I almost bought a IIvx as well. Always drooled over the IIfx, and ironically got to play with a rusted mess of one at work recently. Sure wasn't the firey beast it seemed like when I saw them in the store way back when.

By the way, speaking of classic games, does anybody rember Airheart? It was an Apple game that is the first fairly accurate 3D representation I can remember playing, and it was really, really cool.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Originally posted by joshuawaire
estion: What was At Ease? I remember that being on our performa, but had no idea what it was? Who remembers?

* - Still Own :)

Hmmm.... <scratching that piece of human body used for housing that grey matter which should be used to remembering these things, but mostly fails...>

Wasn't that a bit like Multiple Users later on Mac OS 9? If I recall correctly you could create a "very simple Finder" with large colourfull buttons for kids.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
My First Mac was a Quadra 605, I only used a few times, I was at the time more into PCs, plus it didn't even have a printer or modem, so it was only used for games (a turnaround to most people). My Parents bought me a TiBook 500 for my HS Graduation, and my next Mac may be a Cube or a G5.

TEG

Calliander

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2004
My first Mac wasn't really mine - it was my uncle's. However, I was over there a lot using his Classic and messing around with good old "MacPlaymate". Hehe. I was young, what do you want? ;)

The first Mac in my house was a Quadra 605. I don't even remember what OS it had, but I did fill the 250MB on the hard drive up really quickly.

The second Mac was a Performa 631CD. My mother didn't understand the difference between that and a PPC, so she went with the cheaper unit. The Performa was cool, but limited, and eventually had to go. It came with 7.5. Just plain 7.5.

The next Mac was a beige G3 desktop. That thing was cool and I expanded it to the max (cutting the fan grill to fit bigger memory and lots of HD space, all PCI slots filled, VRAM, the whole shebang). I believe that it came with 8.5 or 8.6. I could be wrong.

After that, my mother purchased a Blue & White G3 and an iMac G3 before I moved out. The B&W crapped out after the warranty, but her iMac is doing just fine. Both came with 9.0.4. I upgraded her to Panther the last time I was home (X-mas vacation).

Right now, I'm using a G4 500MHz Sawtooth with Panther. It came with a 27GB drive, 256MB of RAM, DVD-RAM, ZIP drive, and Rage 128 card. I bought it used off of someone on eBay after thoroughly checking its repair history in GSX. :)

My Sawtooth (named Flux Infinity) has been awesome since I got it. It might soon be the time to get a G5, though. Heh. I still have all the past machines except the B&W. I gave the B&W to a buddy who can supposedly get a logic board for it for cheap. :)

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
my own personal computer was like the lc II when i was 4, but i had been playing with the all the computers since they came out, starting in 88 i think.

iJon

mms

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
CA
My family first had an SE, but I was too young to remember it well. All I remember was tetris and KidPix on the computer.

My first personal one was a Performa 6400/180, upgraded to OS 8.6. Then came the Lombard 333, then G4 Cube, 500mhz.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.