Your Fourth of July weekend weather?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by LizKat, Jul 3, 2011.

1. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Here it's clearing off after the fifth thunderstorm of the day, counting from the first one I noticed, which woke me at 4:45 am with a series of violent cloud to ground strikes out back somewhere. I took that as a warning that the next ones could be in my backyard proper so I got up and closed a few windows.

I don't mind boomerstorms but I do like a closed window between me and them. Many years ago, down on an inlet off the Chesapeake Bay, I saw ball lightning cross a broad sweep of lawn and right up into a neighbor's open kitchen window after a cloud to ground strike right at the edge of the water by their dock. That thing must have floated along the grass for a good hundred fifty feet before it smashed into the house and flipped up into the window, all orange and glowing like a pumpkin coming apart. Ball lightning is truly, truly weird. If you see it, you never forget!

I hope you are all having more fun and better weather than that, and also that these so-and-sos who forecast the weather for this region are not lying when they say that tomorrow will be sunny and clear! Otherwise the natural "fireworks" of today may be all we get for this year's Fourth of July celebrations.

Ciao for now so I don't fry my gear. Who knows if this storm has really cleared the area, it's been moping around here for 14 hours!

2. soco macrumors 68030

soco

I witnessed ball lightning once on the power lines outside of my previous home on Long Island.

Truly a freaky thing to see. It's like out of a movie about a wizard lol

3. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Lots of storms... ALl The fireworks cancelled.

4. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Storms would be relief around here. Lots of places have no fireworks because of burn bans. It was 101 today, with a heat index of 108.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It's around 12C today, cloudy skies with chance of some drizzle. Of course, it also happens to be regular winter day here, and I doubt you were aiming this question towards non-Americans. ;)

6. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I'm not complaining! There was a pretty bad heat wave, and these just broke it. I'm not a big fireworks guy, anyways.

7. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Ditto in Houston. It rained yesterday for the first time in a long time, but still burn bans all around town. It looks like it will be around 99-100 tomorrow. Another beautiful summer day in H-Town.

8. RayStar macrumors member

RayStar

Clear skies here with temp around 85. State is still recovering from thunderstorms on Saturday producing many electrical outages.

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Not a cloud in the sky, well, almost. Temp in the 80's, humidity bearable. On Saturday, the humidity was quite high. Worked outside until my arms started to cramp. Yes, I was drinking water. Had to come inside to the air conditioning. Finishing the job today.