Your FPS in Apple Color...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ChemiosMurphy, Mar 27, 2009.

1. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

Hi All. I'm curious about what FPS you're getting in Color. I can't seem to get past 8 frames a second with ProRes 1080p24.

I'm working with ProRes 1080p24 on a DiskUtil Raid-0 over two drives. My rig is in my sig, but it's with dual 2600's, b/c i'm running three screens because of the MXO**(unplug one screen and disable output with color, launch color, plug other screen in and all 3 work w/ scopes and all)

Also, I've tried the footage at my university with a Kona card, and still get 8 FPS. So I think this unrelated to the 3 screen hack... The low FPS doesn't bother me that much, but after sitting in on a color grading session at NFL Films with a Da Vinci running at full FPS, you can't go back ;)

Lethal or BigBoss, what's your average FPS and with what res/codec?

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Color is pretty much 100% dependent on the GPU and the more complicated the grade (lots of secondaries, tracking, Color FX, etc.,.) the slower it goes. W/DVCPro HD 1080i, a Primary, and a couple of secondaries I probably average 18fps on a top-of-the-line 'last gen' Mac Pro w/the 8800GT card. There are a few things you can toggle on/off in preferences to try and eek out a few more FPS but I don't remember what they are off the top of my head.

Lethal

3. ChemiosMurphy thread starter macrumors 6502

4. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

"force RGB" is good for a couple fps IIRC. I haven't done a 1080 ProRes sequence for a little while, but 8fps sounds about right (running 2600 now).

I'm definitely itching to toss in the 4870 kit and see how that runs.

5. ChemiosMurphy thread starter macrumors 6502

Ugh. I'm stuck on this darn MXO riggup. If I had the $1500 I'd just get the MXO2 and do the HDMI monitoring, ditch the primary 2600, and just unplug the DVI cable to the third monitor when grading. But hey, it gets the job done.

6. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

Yeah, the MXO2 is looking really good now that they've enabled 23.98 ProRes capture on MBPs. Definitely adds to its advantages of the AJA options.