Your Gas Cubby (Or Other App) Statistics

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SandboxGeneral, Mar 1, 2014.

1. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I bought, in 2003, a brand new Ford F-150 Supercrew XLT FX4 with the 5.4L V8. At the time, fuel was somewhere around $2 a gallon or less - I think.

In 2009 I bought the iPhone app Gas Cubby and started keeping track of all my fuel and service costs. After only 5 years of tracking on the, now 11 year old, truck, the statistics are astounding and depressing at the same time.

The absolute worst MPG fill ups were times that I let it idle for too long, usually warming up in the cold winter.

In those five years, I spent over $16,500 in fuel. :eek: Since I missed six years of tracking, I estimate that I probably spent more in fuel for it than it cost me to buy it. If I recall correctly, I paid about $32,000 for it with my fathers A-Plan Ford discount.

Last month I traded that truck in to lease a 2014 Ford Fusion SE with the 2.5L I4 which gets much better mileage than the truck ever could. I am continuing to track fuel and service costs on the new car as well and am looking forward to saving a lot of money on fuel.

Who else uses Gas Cubby or similar apps and what are your statistics?

Attached Files:

2. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

2011 Subaru Outback, bought new in Aug. 2011. 2.5L engine paired with CVT. The app is Car Maintenance Reminder on my Android tablet.

Attached Files:

3. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

thats pretty cool, i only spend about 120 a month for my nissan sentra. about 30 dollars a week, depending on how much i drive. when i had my toyota 4runner i was spending double that. i could only imagine, but with my 4runner i didn't have a 300 dollar car payment.

4. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I'm not normally a CVT fan, but it's worth it to get Subaru's AWD offering.

5. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Honestly, once you get used to it it's not that bad. From what I've read, the Subaru CVT is MUCH preferred over those offered by Nissan or other manufacturers, as remarked by people who have driven the other offerings. After almost 3 years I've adapted my driving style and the CVT is hardly a factor, and only noticed because of the lack of gear changes. And it gets me 33 MPG on the highway, and that's with traffic for part of the trip and 75-80 MPH the rest of the trip (232 miles in total for that highway run) in an AWD 4,000 lb SUV.

Not the thread for that discussion though...

6. thatoneguy82, Mar 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2015

thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Oh wow, I didn't realize I was the only one who religiously uses this. I don't really have any reason to use this except for the fact that it's nice to see. I originally started this to see how much I would spend on my Prius and then when I changed cars to a less MPG, I just kept doing it.

2013 VW GLI (rated ~23MPG)

2010 Toyota Prius (rated ~50MPG)

7. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

And all this time I thought I was the only one who kept track of stuff like this. In addition to keeping track of my MPG, I also use this app to keep track of tire rotations, oil changes, etc.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I used to track my mpg back in the day, but since my recent vehicles offer my MPG I stopped.

Interesting app, I think I'll start using it. Since my wife now uses my Civic as the main car (which got between 20 and 30 MPG depending on city/highway) and I'm now driving a Ridgeline in which I'm getting 12 to 20. I'd like to see where my money is going

SandboxGeneral
    In an odd coincidence at the same time went from a truck to a car, I did the opposite :p

How are you liking the mileage, that must be a pleasure to pass by a gas station and not need to fill it up. I do miss that one aspect of my Civic and the one my wife is loving.

9. SandboxGeneral thread starter Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

The new car is great! So far averaging 23MPG and that's considering idle running while using the remote start on these wicked cold days.

I'm continuing to use Gas Cubby with the new car because it keeps track of so much more data than the car does. It is nice to see the MPG stats on the dashboard, but Gas Cubby gives nice charts and more details, plus keeps track of service costs as well.

10. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Have you compared what the car's computer says to what pen and paper calculations say? My Subaru is consistently 1-2 MPG off compared to actually calculating.

11. SandboxGeneral thread starter Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I noticed my car is about a tenth of a mile off from what Gas Cubby calculates.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its off a couple of notches as well. Not enough for me to get all worked up over however.