Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mickbab

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
what exactly is Lynx? I see it is a text only browser, but why not Safari/Firefox etc?

and can you get weather for other countries (eg Australia?)

si77hay

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2008
Stirling
Great idea for a thread. Here's mine:

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

LiquidStrike

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2009
Help with Lynx

I'm having some trouble getting the weather scripts to work. I'm running OSx 10.4.11, but I'm pretty sure I've properly installed lynx version 2.86 (run the install.command and moved lynx.command to my Applications).

When I post the weather scripts in Geektool, nothing happens. Is there something else I need/could be doing?

si77hay

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2008
Stirling
I'm having some trouble getting the weather scripts to work. I'm running OSx 10.4.11, but I'm pretty sure I've properly installed lynx version 2.86 (run the install.command and moved lynx.command to my Applications).

When I post the weather scripts in Geektool, nothing happens. Is there something else I need/could be doing?

This could be dangerous; a newbie advising a newbie!

What result do you get when you copy and paste the below straight into Terminal:

Code:
lynx -dump http://printer.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=bournemouth|awk '/Temp/{printf $2, ": "; for (i=3; i<=3; i++) printf $i " " }'

menthol moose

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2006

You need to rename lynx.command to lynx and move it into /usr/sbin

In Finder, in the Go menu, click on Go to Folder... then type in /usr/sbin and then click Go. Drag lynx into there.

LiquidStrike

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2009
@si77hay - When I paste that line into Terminal - nothing happens. All I get is another command prompt.

@menthol moose - I'm being told I can't move lynx because sbin cannot be modified. It offers up a chance to Authenticate, but I'm not sure what that will do.

si77hay

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2008
Stirling
@si77hay - When I paste that line into Terminal - nothing happens. All I get is another command prompt.

And you certainly don't get the temperature at the start of the line?:
Code:
7?C Si-Mac-mini:~ Simon$

I did have an issue where is wasn't returning the result, but that was because of a bad install of Lynx. And this was indicated at the command prompt.

LiquidStrike

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2009
yeah, still no luck. When I run that line as a new command in Terminal, I get a "Process was terminated by signal 10" line.

sumskateborder

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2009
I cannot get anything on Geektool to work.

I'm going to describe everything I do so someone can help me out.

I first open it up and click new entry, then I go to the shell tab and put in all the codes for the 1st script listed, then I change the font to what it should be.

When Geektool is open it just shows the box of where it should be, and when I close it out nothing is there.

What am I doing wrong?

hatehereyes

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2008
Moreno Valley, Ca
I cannot get anything on Geektool to work.

I'm going to describe everything I do so someone can help me out.

I first open it up and click new entry, then I go to the shell tab and put in all the codes for the 1st script listed, then I change the font to what it should be.

When Geektool is open it just shows the box of where it should be, and when I close it out nothing is there.

What am I doing wrong?

that's exactly what happens with me.
i got the temp to show up once but as soon as i tried to change the font it disappeared.

XianPalin

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
I'm currently looking for a new way to post the weather. if uweather puts out a special alert you get a "willoverspred" error.

for something like the weather you can set it even higher. it doesn't change too often. unless you are going through a hurricane or something.

I noticed a weird line and then realized I was getting extra text in addition to the temperature... a snow advisory alert. I didn't get an error but there was extra text and that was going to mess up alignment and what not. I added
Code:
|awk '{print $1}'
to the end of the temperature line and that seemed to have ripped out just the temperature. Here's the full line:

Code:
lynx -dump http://printer.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=40241|awk '/Temp/{printf $2, ": "; for (i=3; i<=3; i++) printf $i " " }' |awk '{print $1}'

EV0LUTION

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
Florida
I noticed a weird line and then realized I was getting extra text in addition to the temperature... a snow advisory alert. I didn't get an error but there was extra text and that was going to mess up alignment and what not. I added
Code:
|awk '{print $1}'
to the end of the temperature line and that seemed to have ripped out just the temperature. Here's the full line:

Code:
lynx -dump http://printer.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=40241|awk '/Temp/{printf $2, ": "; for (i=3; i<=3; i++) printf $i " " }' |awk '{print $1}'

thanks!

monke

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 30, 2005
Will someone explain to me step by step how to set up the iTunes Script in the 1st post?

Thanks.

First open script editor, then paste in the code from the first post. Save it to a location (mine's in a geektool scripts folder in the documents folder).

Then go to Geek Tool and use the shell command to enter in this:

Code:
osascript ~/LocationOfScript.scpt

The Location of Script must be changed to suit your the default finder window. If you open finder (unless you've changed the default location) it should open to your users folder.

My location looks like this: ~/Documents/GeektoolScripts/iTunesInfo.scpt

I hope that helps. :)

Im having trouble with the temperature, but im assuming its for the us only? Or will canada work aswell.

I think Canada will work too, postal codes seem to work on this site, and they look like that same pages...

velvetelvis

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Code:
|awk '{print $1}'

Code:

thank you sooooo much.

shawmaan

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2009
Just the temp!

Code:
|awk '{print $1}'

Code:

Saved me! I was getting text from a weather advisory further down the page and couldn't get rid of it. Thanks!

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Yeah, so until somebody puts together comprehensive a step by step guide on how to get things working right, instead of bits and pieces here and there, I'm not getting into this whole mess... I just installed Geektool and attempted a couple of commands, but no luck... I don't know if it's because it's so late, or what, but I'm giving up and saving it for another day... :rolleyes:
so for now, i'll be a spectator haha..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.