Your guess: When will 15" adopt the retina's form factor?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Thares, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Thares macrumors regular

Thares

Hello together,

I already used Google but couldn't find any solution to my question:
    When - do you think - will the current 'normal' 15" MacBook Pros adopt the Retina MacBook Pro's form factor?

For me, as a occupational psychology student, all those horsepower of the rMBP are not that necessary. I already own a 13" Air but somehow find the 13" screen a bit too small.

I'd happy to read your guess. Thank you!

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

It won't, it will be dropped and the rMBP will replace it.(Next year probably)

3. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

I hope never! No upgrade path, stupid idea. That is why I am buying a cMBP this year. To me retina screen is hype and used to much of the CPU. Maybe with Haswell , I'll change my mind.

4. joshhedge macrumors regular

But my CPU rarely get's over 10% usage with music, web browsing and pages open... The i7 3720QM is a beast.

5. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

You mean an optical drive-less MacBook Pro 15" as thin as the rMBP, but with the standard non-Retina screen?

I don't think that will even happen.

I expect prices of the rMBPs to drop in the next years though.

Remember that the base cMBP originally cost $1999 when it launched, and quickly became $1799.

rMBP price could drop by even more than $200 over its lifetime considering one the its most expensive components, the flash storage, is costing less and less every year.

Price of SSDs are dropping at a much higher rate than any component that was in the cMBP, which like I said costs $200 less than when it was introduced.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the 15" rMBP cost something like $1899 in 2014, with still 256GB of storage as the basic option.

6. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

As the others have speculated. The current rMBP will become the standard 15" MacBook Pro--as will the new 13 in rMBP become the standard 13 in MacBook Pro--all part of Apple evolution. :)

7. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

If the retina MacBook Pro is going to be the new standard, the price tag has to come down A LOT! Hopefully as technology becomes cheaper, it will.

8. cube macrumors G5

Killing the classic lineup is the best way to lose customers.

9. Stetrain macrumors 68040

But the standard 15" MBP and the RMBP both have about the same horsepower. Same quad core i7 processors, same GT650M graphics (retina has a bit more graphics memory standard but not a huge deal).

Maybe what you're looking for is a 15" Macbook Air? Who knows if we'll ever see one of those, I guess it's possible.

10. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

Just as the MacBook Air has... although slowly...

----------

Not in Apples mind...

They really are taking 'portable' seriously... If you need a Disc Drive, buy an external for when you need it, if it's sitting on a desk you need an iMac.

11. leman macrumors 604

Few years of now, there will be only the retina model.

----------

Because customers like lumping an additional weight around? Or is there another reason?

12. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

That's the way Apple is heading - You'll have to upgrade to a non-upgradable MBP (no pun intended) eventually, or ditch Apple.

13. PapaVBnMOMO macrumors member

My ideal macbook would be a 15" cMBP with a retina screen...price it at 1999.

14. vpro, Oct 20, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2012

vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Tell me about it.

Tell me about it, they totally wiped out the 17" PRO of the MacBook PRO legacy line. FAIL :apple:

Luckily I got my hands on a new anti-glare 2.5Ghz i7 17" MacBook Pro which I upgraded to the max (with pride). It is snappy and zippy, quiet, cool and super perfect for all my needs, and I build strength carrying her around. She replaced my aging but not dead, early 2007 17" MacBook Pro. I'm totally gonna get the 13" retina air when it comes out, I thought I would get the 13" retina macbook but I'll get it just to play with it and then throw it back in :apple: face, like I did with the maxed out 15" retina fadbook toy.

In my perfect world, there will only be 10" eyefads; 13" retina air; 17" MBP; 21" eyemac and MacPRO. Makes life so simple for the PROsumer to be extremely productive and creative to no end!

Don't get me wrong though. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the way they are going, I cheer them on for awesome design, innovation and forward thinking. I love that they don't think of anyone but themselves, that shows passion, determination, wit and confidence. No one else in the industry seems to be original, they all fall flat on their face in turd. However, it is my money, my cash, so I have to make those decisions if I am going to USE Apple, that once they make a decision that does not suit my needs AT ALL, I pick up from them what does suit my needs and life style. Going with the flow doesn't mean get yourself caught in the current and waves, it means building bridges for yourself and fishing for the things you need, toss back what you don't need. That is what it means to be a PROsumer.
    Thanks.

15. iLukeJoseph macrumors 6502

I bet they will will all go to the Retina form factor, and probably sooner than a lot think. Who knows, they may all just have retina.

The classic is an old design (a great design, but old). Apple is all about moving away from physical media. And the retina is an amazing laptop. Not sure if it is really ready for prime time (mine has been perfect, knock on wood). And not being able to upgrade it really stinks. But that's apple for you.

16. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Solution to your question?

This must really be burning a hole in your brain.

17. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

One Apple can get the Retina prices down they'll drop the cMBP line completely.

18. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Old design? Do you design?

I think the design coming from Apple since 1997 has been totally 'timeless' in my opinion. Old can be applied to every other PCs out there, they are pathetic and need a lot of design miracles because their designs don't stand the test of time, they were meant to be recycled. If you take awesome care of a MacBook it still looks so hot, to me, timeless and streamline beautiful.

Timeless. Old and new don't apply with Apple, they are always innovating and evolving. They use terms like 'previous' best and 'current' best.

Timelessness is a fine art for them and for us to appreciate.

Thank you.

19. cube macrumors G5

I waited to see what they announced and ordered a refurb Snow Leopard-compatible anti-glare 17" the same day.

20. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

They will probably drop all the Classic MBPs, 13" and 25" and kill the line once and for all and force everybody to buy Retina MBP or move on to another manufacturer.
    That day I will be pissed off :mad:

----------

How much difference can we see design wise between the rMBP and the cMBP?!?!?!
    1.14 pounds and 0.24 inches of difference... oh and a thinner bezel... what a leap forward for mankind...

Apple is all about saving money in assembly line and making you believe their version of the future without media...

Attached Files:

• 0.jpg
      0.jpg
      File size:
      24.9 KB
      Views:
  21. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

I doubt it will

I dont think it will, eventually im sure they will drop the current MBp and just call the MBPr the macbook pro.