Your guilty pleasures of 2008!

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by MRU, Jan 5, 2009.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

OK so we have the best, and the worst of 2008.

What were the games you enjoyed in 2008, despite general consensus from reviews that it sucked! and poor retail sales.

Mine were...

1. Viking : Battle of Asgard. (360)

I actually really enjoyed the game and whilst flawed I had a great deal of pleasure playing it all the way through to conclusion.

I hope for a sequel, but did the game sell enough units to warrant one?

2. Alone In The Dark : Inferno (PS3)

Again after playing through bits of the 360 code, I decided to hold out to the PS3 version at least tried to amend the broken 360 game. The game still isn't a glowing gem, yet I did at least enjoy playing through the game on the PS3, more so than some other more critically well received titles this year.

3. Legendary (360)

A rather late entry to my guilty pleasure chest, but after the demo on the 360 I was pleasantly surprised by it. I expected the worst, I expected Turning Point : Fall of Liberty.... But instead the games graphics were pleasant, animation was fluid even if the human NPC characters were not greatly detailed. The levels were nicely designed and well textured (ignoring texture pop in that comes with the UT3 engine when first starting a level). Best of all... I managed to pick it up, brand new for €14 only a couple weeks back.

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Super Stardust PSP- Controls are cack but I'm more addicted to this than the PS3 version. It's great to keep on sleep when documents take an age to save or another round of TF2 is loading :D

Pokemon Pearl- Already beaten it last year but I added another 100 hours onto the game clock over the summer trying to catch, breed and trade my way to 100%ing this epic game. And I'm still about 90 Pocket Monsters short :eek:

Peggle Nights- Maybe not as good as the first Peggle and feels a little tougher, but hella addictive. Possibly my fave casual game.

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

My gems will include games from last year like:

The Orange Box(PS3) - Despite the FUD on the internet this game still shines bright and Team Fortress 2 is addictive as hell...I play it everytime I turn on the console.

SOCOM Confrontation - It didn't do too well in the reviews department because of the lag/server issues but it made a killing in sales(haven't been released in Euro yet) The servers and lag are much better now and its just a fun tactical game...not to mention the official PS headset is the best on the market right now.

Siren Blood Curse - I downloaded the PSN(looking for the disc version now;) ) version and this game is top notch. The only game that top this gem in horror aspect this year was Dead Space(This says a lot coming from a Silent Hill fan)

Folklore is still making the rounds in my PS3

Bless

4. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

My guilty pleasure from 2008 was watching Twin Peaks. Oh, and drinking plenty of Samuel Adams.

5. leishan macrumors 6502

6. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I just picked this up for the PS3. Got it for $16 on amazon.com.

My guilty pleasure has to be Break 'em All on the DS. It's the new Tetris.:eek:

7. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

I downloaded the TNA Raw vs WWE or something whatever wrestling game demo, and while it is far from a "good" game, I have had WAY more fun with it than I would like to admit in public!

8. Rivix macrumors 6502a

Rivix

Still playing ranked games of WarCraft III....... How old is that game? FIVE years old?!

9. betaboy78 macrumors regular

betaboy78

I loved the super cheesy Simpsons game on the 360.

yeah . . . I am lame.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yea, I forgot games become "uncool" after 2 years. :D

11. evan g macrumors regular

N+ PSP
    I enjoyed it on the computer in my free time, so I picked it up for my PSP. I actually liked it! Alot! I mean sure the last half of the levels are impossible, but it was good at passing the time, which a lot of games failed at this year. :rolleyes:

12. dubs macrumors member

Mine would have to be Earth Defense Force 2017.

Completely Mindless Fun with a friend. The whole game is like a horrible B monster movie and can be summed up as such:

"Oh No! Giant Spiders"

"Shoot Em!!!!"

"Now there's Giant Ants!"

"Shoot Em!!!"

Wash rinse repeat, replacing said insects with space ships, some robot giant dinosaur, etc. All topped off with horrid voice acting. It's surprisingly addicting, and there's over 50 levels. Definitely my guilty pleasure of '08.

13. pcypert macrumors 6502

Honestly I played nothing but the big releases from past two years this year, so was pretty much not in "guilty pleasure" territory...but I will say I spent the most time playing Sudoku and Aurora Feint on my iPhone. Like 100's of hours more than any other game...

Paul

14. leishan macrumors 6502

15. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

I'm not sure if you really understood the "guilty pleasure" concept here...

16. themachatter macrumors newbie

Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix -- wow that's a long title. I play this game wayyyy to much. I used to love playing it on Sega Genesis and my love for the new version is even greater.

17. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I really enjoyed Far Cry 2; even though almost everyone else I know who's played it says it the most boring, repetitive game out there. But I spent hours wandering around, starting fires, setting off explosions. Generally being a pest.

18. BlackSnow macrumors regular

BlackSnow

Too much Super Smash Brothers Brawl in my basement with friends. Way too much.

19. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I really haven't bought many games that scored too low this year. The last time I did that with a certain blue furry mammal all hell broke loose. My game buying has slowed to a crawl to be honest. 46 games, I work too much, and I have little time to play what I have already.

20. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

I'm concerned that your job is killing kittens. That would definitely keep you from playing all 46 games, stallion.

21. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Just mail them up to me. I will play them. Write a couple hundred words on each game of how it was, and all the major plot points and if you had fun. Then I'll mail it to you. Win-Win.

22. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Send em to the great white north EH?!?! ;)

I'll get right on that sir :) You up for a game on PSN? 2NY is always on Orange Box... Plus he is too scared to play multi-player with me now :p;)