"Your hard drive is full" message when I have 25GB free

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by aparente, Aug 20, 2015.

1. aparente macrumors newbie

aparente

For months now I have been getting a message that my hard drive is full or almost full. Sometimes I'll go from having 15GB to a hundred MB in the course of minutes, then suddenly the space is free'd up again. Sometimes its real, as several times I've gotten close to filling up my HD completely. Most of the time, this isn't the case. I've been using a combination of Disk Doctor and DaisyDisk to free up space and find large files.

I did a clean install of yosemite and a manual restore from my external HD (drag and drop'd my files), but I'm still having issues.

Recently, after the clean install, I've been getting the "Your hard drive is full" message even though every source (including disk utility) tells me I have 24GB free. I did get close to filling up my HD the other day, but deleted a bunch of files and saw my disk space increase immediately. The message still keeps popping up every day.

I've read all the threads regarding this issue, with most of them pointing to local time machine backups as the problem. However, I don't yet have time machine enabled on this machine.

What gives?

p.s. I'm proficient in using the command line.

2. motrek macrumors 68020

What you could do is run Activity Monitor and have it on the Disk tab and then when the disk fills up, switch to Activity Monitor and see which app/process wrote a bunch of data.