Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Right now I am stuck on a CenturyLink connection, unfortunately that is the best we can get out here, but I made the best of it. So far I have done the following:

Put their modem in Bridge Mode, and use a SonicWALL TZ-210 as a router, and Apple AirPort Extremes as wireless AP's. I am thinking about getting rid of the AirPorts and putting in Ubiquiti's UniFi AC APs instead, though wondering if I should also upgrade the SonicWALL as well.

What do you guys recommend? I am staying far far away from the consumer stuff. I use a VPN between remote locations and run a business at home. So no Google WiFi or any of that jazz :p.

joec1101

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
So Cal, USA
I have a few dozen UniFi AP’s at work that I manage. Excellent choice, but might be overkill for home use. Ubiquiti does have home routers that can be set up as a mesh system (wired or wireless). A less expensive solution for home and works well. I have three of these AmpliFi routers at home set up as mesh and very pleased with them. Just like the UniFi devices, these are very reliable and stable. Speed is top notch as well. No loss at all over WiFi.

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
I'm with Spectrum, 200x20 Mbps. I use an old Gateway small-form-factor desktop with two low-profile gigabit Ethernet cards as a pfSense router. The router sends most network traffic over a VPN with Private Internet Access with minimal speed loss. That then plugs into a basic gigabit switch, and I have two Asus routers running as access points.

Looking forward, we're about to decommission some equipment at work, so I'm hoping to bring home an HP PoE gigabit switch and a couple Xirrus 802.11ac APs once that happens. Definitely overkill, but idc. :) If that doesn't pan out, I'll probably look at Unifi.

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
  • Spectrum w/Cisco modem
  • UBNT Edgerouter X SFP: cheap and provides 4 ports with POE (saves using a small switch and/or injectors)
  • UBNT AC Lite (two)

All rock solid...well not Spectrum.

If I were looking for more router features, I would consider one of the Synology units. Tons of features. Now they have mesh APs too.

Love the UBNT stuff, but the Synology UI and feature set is hard to discount for home and SMB use.
[doublepost=1539930464][/doublepost]
Unifi All the way - 16 port POE, USG and 3 AP's

How do you like the USG?

Last edited:

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
Ubiquiti USG gateway (the little square one)
Two (non POE) switches
Two UAP-AC-PRO
One UAP-AC-Lite
Cloud key (the old kind)

Few APC SUA 1500

Mikael H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2014
I've been fine using a dedicated pfSense small form factor computer (Intel i3 based) for a firewall, in front of my service provider's SIP box for telephony, my home/client network, and my server networks. I've never seen it break a sweat.

My network infrastructure consists of an old HP ProCurve switch, and, for now, Airport wireless APs. I plan to extend the wireless coverage, which will involve some cabling work, and eventually replacing the AirPorts with, probably, Ubiquiti APs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.