Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Howdy.

I have a website that I use as an online 'repository' for logos I have found. I use it for ideas and inspiration when designing logos. It has proven quite popular and gets around 50 hits a day. That might not sound like much but with no actual advertising of the site and very little input from myself I think thats quite good.

Anyhoo... it used to be called logolibrary.co.uk but I hated the fact I couldnt think of a logo for it (ironic I know) so I moved the site and made it a 'sub' site of my personal site and called it Logobox (because I had a cool logo for it).

Now Im thinking of moving it back to logolibrary.co.uk but only if I can come up with a decent symbol to back up the logotype.

So if any body would like to help me brainstorm a symbol for 'Logo Library' please fire away.

My design style is quite minimal (see here) and I would obviously like to create an icon that says 'a collection of logos'.

I hope that makes sense.

*Be aware im not asking for someone to design a logo. Im asking for ideas to create my own. ;)

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
ranmdom ideas :)
  • mosaic of different logos - might not work well with a small image
  • have more than one logo which is in an animated gif or similar
  • don't have a logo just do a completely plain typed font for the title, kind of an anti logo if you get what I mean
  • use comic sans :p
  • bookcases (similar style to your current box) used to make logo library

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
The book case sounds interesting but there is no 'order' to the logos they are just randomly displayed so it may mislead the 'reader'.

I may go with just a logotype but I would prefer a nice looking symbol to back it up.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
I'd base it off the box you're currently using. Maybe just drop the angle down so we're not looking in the box, rather straight (or slightly raised). Then on the box, write "Logo." Maybe use a stamp looking text for "Logo." Keep it basic, simple and understandable. Don't get too fruity, let the logos on the site do that.;)

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
That still says LogoBOX to me. Plus having text on the side will limit how small the logo can go and any effect on the text wont be seen as the text will be pretty small to begin with.

I think I'll just go with a logotype.

Thanks anyhoo.

Its harder than you think this one isnt it?! :p

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
That still says LogoBOX to me. Plus having text on the side will limit how small the logo can go and any effect on the text wont be seen as the text will be pretty small to begin with.

I think I'll just go with a logotype.

Thanks anyhoo.

Its harder than you think this one isnt it?! :p

Mis-read, apologies. I looked at your site and thought you were sticking with logo box. Good point about text limiting your size's too. This seems to be the universal symbol for library, and the body looks kinda like a big L so maybe this'll help get you going...

library-symbol.gif

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
that isn't the universal library symbol in the UK to the best of my knowledge :)

Anyhow new idea though.
How about changing the box to a (stylised) layer of books (like image below) with maybe logo added to the top one

Attachments

• self_help_library_home.jpg
    self_help_library_home.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 111

SFVCyclone

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2005
Pasadena, Ca
I dont know how the use of a box says library. I had an of idea of maybe using the spines of books such as this
encyclopedia.gif
like an encyclopedia and each book being a different letter in Logo Library. And it would be nice push out of your comfort zone of creating Logo Types. Just a thought.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.