Your input into my new setup

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kvm, Mar 7, 2010.

1. kvm macrumors newbie

Dear Forum,

This is my first post. I have been using some pretty ordinary hardware and software for the last few years. In April / May this year I am going on a bit of a spending-spree to install a home entertainment + office setup. I would like your advice and input on how to achieve this.
    I'm not quite sure of the details but what i would like to do is something like this:

All thoughts and recommendations most welcome.

1. A new very large TV. Perhaps 55inch. Ideas to what to get? I'm thinking about the new upcoming sony bravia tvs.
    2. I am about to receive a PS3 to act as a blue ray player for movies on the new big screen.
    3. I want to create an Office space with a computer which will act as both a business and home/leisure computer. I am tending towards the top end 27" Imac. Mainly for the size of the monitor and the minimal look.
    4. I want to have next to no wires or clutter anywhere.
    5 I need a very good home printer/fax/scanner/copier all in one type machine.
    6. I am going to get an internet/smart phone. At the moment i like the look of the HTC HD2. But perhaps something better will be available in April?
    7. I think i may still require a very portable laptop.
    8. I want to be able to play movies from the computer on to the big screen tv.
    9. I would like to use the big screen TV occasionally as a very big computer monitor.
    10. I want the computer, phone and possibly a laptop all sync'd together.
    To do this i'm thinking about perhaps having a home server but this is really getting well beyond my small amount of IT knowledge.
    11. I want plenty of space to store photos and home videos (HD) that i have created which are easy to access, edit and securely backed up.

What would you do and recommend in this situation?

Kind regards,
    kvm

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

7. If you can still afford a MacBook Air, it will suit for your needs perfectly. If you're looking for cheaper option, take a look at netbooks.

8. You just need a right adapter for that e.g. MiniDisplay Port to HDMI or DVI

9. Same as 8

10. MBA, iMac and iPhone will sync perfectly together

11. Take a look at Time Capsule. It works wirelessly so you can access it easily without wires with any computer.

3. INeedAMacBook macrumors 6502

defo wait till summer, new iphones most likely, the new 3d tv's and then for destop , 27 inch i7 imac
    laptop, mba
    iphone
    time capsual for the wireless back up
    mdp-vga or dvi for the laptop-tv
    i wish i was you getting this new set-up :D