Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2009
http://www.amazon.com/Birchwood-Super-Black-Gun-Touch/dp/B0049Q5JX4

just used it on my i5 using flat black. its like there was never a scuff. works best on the sharp edges.

item description

An easy and effective way to touch-up nicks, scratches and worn areas of black anodized aluminum or black painted surfaces. The Pen contains a fast drying, lead-free paint with superior adhesion and durability that helps fill in deep scratches or worn areas. These special formulations are for use on highly polished and matte finished alloy gun receivers, trigger guards, scopes, binoculars, cameras, flashlights, fishing reels and other sporting accessories. Use like a marking pen with no mess and simply rub on with chisel point felt tip.

Sneakyfox

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
England, UK
The paint will cover up any damage that is similar to 'flaking' but any actual chips or chunks taken out of the metal, this won't fill it in properly, it will just change the colour.

My point being, you'd still be able to feel the damage, but not necessarily see it.

Imagine having a black knife (I'm sure most people have seen them) which after years of use, the blade isn't perfect, it has lots of small chips and nicks etc that reveal the silver colour underneath - Using the aforementioned product would merely keep it black, but not fix the actual indentations.

jeblis

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
If its really pure Alumnium, it doesn't rust;)

Aluminum absolutely rusts, but once the outer layer forms, it doesn't flake off like iron. Annodizing is aluminum rust (which is very tough and seals the underlying aluminum), just made much thicker through electrolytic passivation.

So it already has rusted.

EDIT: Oh and here is what happens to rusting aluminum when mercury is applied.

Attachments

• the more you know.jpeg
    the more you know.jpeg
    138.8 KB · Views: 187

pure3d2

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
just wait until it starts rusting.

Aluminum doesn't rust (iron oxide), it oxidizes. Once the bare aluminum is exposed to air, it will form aluminum oxide (AlO3). This oxide layer doesn't come off as easily as rust does (on iron). So in a way, it acts as a protective layer against further corrosion.

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2012
Will you post some pics of how it looks? I'm thinking about ordering it but I want to see how it looks first.

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
I also request a pic, if possible. I know others have reported using a Sharpie works well, but I tried it and thought it looked like crap since it was so shiny and much darker than the slate color. Maybe the flat version of this product is a closer match.

Dominar

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Northernmost NY State
Aluminum absolutely rusts, but once the outer layer forms, it doesn't flake off like iron. Annodizing is aluminum rust (which is very tough and seals the underlying aluminum), just made much thicker through electrolytic passivation.

So it already has rusted.

EDIT: Oh and here is what happens to rusting aluminum when mercury is applied.

The more you know pic is priceless! Thanks for the chuckle! :D

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
The black iPhone isn't really black, it's slate.

Wouldn't the black touch up paint stand out against the slate colour?

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
One of the reviews on Amazon said it dries more as a dark gray rather than black. I'd really like to see a picture of this applied to an iPhone if possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.