Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adham7897

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 27, 2017
Apple said they'll add this message to iOS 10.2.1 "in the coming days".
I think my battery needs replacement but don't see that message.
Did it start showing yet?
And does anyone see it on 10.3 Beta 3?
Or is it currently only on 10.2.1?
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207453

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
It depends on the current status of your battery. But I don't see this message yet on my device, although it's battery life is not that good as it was before.

cazlar

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2003
Sydney, Australia
When anyone sees it, please update us.

I just noticed this message on mine today. The last month I've been noticing lots of weird battery drain/shutdown issues, so not surprised. This is on a iPhone 6 bought at launch, so just under 2.5 years old (and therefore out of any Australian warranty, boo!)

adham7897

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 27, 2017
I just noticed this message on mine today. The last month I've been noticing lots of weird battery drain/shutdown issues, so not surprised. This is on a iPhone 6 bought at launch, so just under 2.5 years old (and therefore out of any Australian warranty, boo!)
Are you on 10.2.1 or 10.3 beta?
A screenshot, please?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008

Yeah being 2.5 years old, the battery is definitely consumed. You would only get a free replacement with AC+ not just the standard 1 year of AppleCare unless it failed prematurely, but in your case it did not.

cazlar

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Yeah being 2.5 years old, the battery is definitely consumed.
I suspect so. Well, I've booked into a Genius appointment in a few days, never know, I may get lucky what with the 6S replacements and media on at the moment, otherwise probably still worth paying for a new battery anyway cause I plan to gift this phone to a family member when I upgrade later in the year.

FYI: just ran some battery apps - they put mine at 55-61% health (i.e. 1000 or 1100 mAh down from 1810mAh). None of them seem to give cycle numbers so I'm guessing Apple took that out of the APIs at some point?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I suspect so. Well, I've booked into a Genius appointment in a few days, never know, I may get lucky what with the 6S replacements and media on at the moment, otherwise probably still worth paying for a new battery anyway cause I plan to gift this phone to a family member when I upgrade later in the year.

FYI: just ran some battery apps - they put mine at 55-61% health (i.e. 1000 or 1100 mAh down from 1810mAh). None of them seem to give cycle numbers so I'm guessing Apple took that out of the APIs at some point?

If you have a Mac you can check Coconut battery, this will give battery cycles. At 2.5 years, I would be shocked if you are under 800. Battery is rated for 80% after 500 cycles. You being 55-60%, you would be around 1000 cycles.

cazlar

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2003
Sydney, Australia
If you have a Mac you can check Coconut battery, this will give battery cycles. At 2.5 years, I would be shocked if you are under 800. Battery is rated for 80% after 500 cycles. You being 55-60%, you would be around 1000 cycles.

Thanks for the pointer to this app! Coconut is saying max charge of 1033mAh (which equates to what the iOS apps report) and 761 charge cycles. Age of phone is 899 days according to it BTW. So health is probably a bit lower than it should be based on cycle # alone, but maybe the 3 hot summers it has lived through have contributed to the decline.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Bit of an exaggeration. I have a 4S on iOS 7 that's at least 5 years old and the battery is still great.
Lucky you! Although you must have taken good care of your phone (loved the 4 series model btw).

Let me repeat that the best way to check your phone's battery without going in to Apple is to get coconut battery - http://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/ - if you have a Mac or iBackupBot which works with both Mac or Windows - here's how to check battery here - http://www.icopybot.com/blog/check-ipad-iphone-battery-charge-cycle-count-without-jailbreaking.htm

Both give you a lot more info than the battery apps available on the app store especially after ios 10 removed a lot of info one could see before.

Reactions: Vorkeyjones

Vorkeyjones

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2016
Lucky you! Although you must have taken good care of your phone (loved the 4 series model btw).

Let me repeat that the best way to check your phone's battery without going in to Apple is to get coconut battery - http://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/ - if you have a Mac or iBackupBot which works with both Mac or Windows - here's how to check battery here - http://www.icopybot.com/blog/check-ipad-iphone-battery-charge-cycle-count-without-jailbreaking.htm

Both give you a lot more info than the battery apps available on the app store especially after ios 10 removed a lot of info one could see before.

Thanks. Just downloaded the app and it's very useful.

If I'm reading this correctly, my iPhone 4s battery is doing even better than I thought. Almost 5 years old and it's barely lost any of it's design capacity.

dmv8t1.png

Last edited:
Reactions: decafjava

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009

If I'm reading this correctly, my iPhone 4s battery is doing even better than I thought. Almost 5 years old and it's barely lost any of it's design capacity.

dmv8t1.png

This is why phones don't actually need removable batteries.

Whoakapi

Cancelled
May 26, 2010

dmv8t1.png
That's very good for a 5 year old battery.

What are your charging habits?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Bit of an exaggeration. I have a 4S on iOS 7 that's at least 5 years old and the battery is still great.

I think you missed the point. Being 2.5 years and getting the service notification definitely means the battery is consumed and not a defect.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Agreed. It also depends on how the battery is managed throughout the life of the phone as well. If it's maintained and charged regularly, not subjected to unhealthy temperatures and battery draining third party applications, iPhone batteries can well beyond 2.5 years. It's more user based, then the battery's itself at times.

I know those who have an iPhone 4s who still have their original battery intact and it's still going strong. Every situation varies and no two phones will have the same battery statistics. What Apple recommends isn't a prediction of what will happen over the course of the iPhone.

Reactions: Vorkeyjones

Vorkeyjones

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2016
That's very good for a 5 year old battery.

What are your charging habits?

I don't think I've been doing anything special. I should point out that it's been my backup phone for the last few years, so it's not like I've been draining the battery by 80% every day and then recharging it. I tend to only use it when I'm lying in bed at night and I only charge it once the battery is completely dead, which happens maybe twice a week. Another thing that might help is that I don't play games on this phone, so it rarely ever gets hot.

yongtjunkit

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2016
My iPhone 5 battery has bloated before but I didn't notice the message at all, it kept turning off/ suddenly reboot and according to ibackup bot, it's already more than 500

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.