Your ipod touch 2g favorite feature

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by hugo7, Mar 28, 2009.

1. hugo7 macrumors regular

Okay, so we know that the touch 2g is an amazing device. It's not perfect (as witnessed by the slew of enhancements and missing features coming in OS3.0) but pretty damn good. I'm interested in finding out what others like best about their device. So please mention ONE thing only and provide a reason. Please, no wish lists or suggestions for how it could be better. Just state an existing feature/concept and why you like it.

I'll start.

Size-to-function ratio

I've never carried anything larger than an ipod nano because I've always valued small, discreet portable mp3 players that can travel with you whenever/wherever (the hard drive ipods never appealed to me). But now I'm prepared to carry around the slightly larger touch because its functionality *way* surpasses being a simple media player. It's a phenomenal device.

2. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

WiFi. 50% of the existing apps use it. Without Wifi it's just another chinese MP4 player.

3. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

Notebook replacement.

It has ended up that I no longer need to travel with my iBook most of the time—my iPod fulfills pretty much every on-the-go function that I might need from a computer, but it does so in a size that fits in my pocket.
    My next computer is going to be a desktop—iMac—based almost entirely on this fact. I simply no longer have a real need for portability in my main computer—instead, I can focus on power (for music creation) for the computer and rely on my iPod for porting.

That said, I also really love that I have 32 gigs of solid state memory in an iPod—the only other pod I've owned was a 20 gig HD-based 3g. (At the time, it could hold my entire collection! Now, even the 32 is too small.) It was nice, but actually managed to feel more fragile.

I also really love noise.io.

4. RogueVasion macrumors regular

RogueVasion

Shazam...wait, iPod touch users can't use it. :p Nah, just kidding.

When I had my iPod touch, I loved the form factor and all the space it held. I mean 32GB is like heaven, especially since its so thing and sleek. Plus, all the functions it has are amazing (email, safari, games, etc). And lastly, it stunts the Apple logo! :apple:

5. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Same as jtgotsjets. I use my touch as I used to use my MacBook (except in rare situations where I need the larger screen and keyboard). It's awesome not having to carry around the whole laptop bag when I can just toss the iPod in a pocket and have almost everything I need right there.

6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Yes we can, I have it installed on my iPod. However, it's only compatible with the 2nd gen as that's the only model that a microphone can be connected to.

7. hugo7 thread starter macrumors regular

the game changer

This is so true. On many an international trip, the ipod touch goes with me and the laptop stays at home. Sure the laptop provides for better web surfing, but compared to the touch, it's actually become a pain to lug around.

Two years ago, I would never have guessed that my portable computing experience would change so radically and that a *useful* PDA would become part of my lifestyle.

8. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

Exactly! It has totally changed my world, in a weird way.

9. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

10. messedkid macrumors 6502

messedkid

11. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

For me the touch is too small to go online with and since it lacks flash, many sites are crippled. I still prefer my 12in 700m for mobile computing. I use my touch mainly for music and to read RSS feeds or USA Today app while going to/from work. I do plan on getting the next iphone since I think I can finally justify having a data plan.

12. hugo7 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, it's incredibly well implemented and the visual feedback (like the bouncing scrollbars and bouncing screen lock) clearly indicate a swift input device like the finger (and not a joystick or some other limited mechanism). Great stuff.

Maybe, if you can explain why it's your fave feature? ;)

Okay noted, but do you have a *favorite* feature on the existing touch 2g?

13. d94 macrumors member

trully awsome indeed
    i cant see myself going back to a nano :)
    my fav thing..well actually theres two as im comming from a 1st gen
    1. improved design..it just feels so damn good in my hand and looks thinner
    2. internal speaker :D

14. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

The Touch is indeed an incredible bit of technology. Now they should make it more ergonomic. Enjoy! ;)

15. niblum10 macrumors member

I know it's not specific to the iPod touch 2g, but I love being able to download podcasts on the go.

16. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

My favorite feature is the screen. Having come from a dinky little MP3 player of unknown origin and only two buttons, I can truly say having a screen is nice. :p

17. hugo7 thread starter macrumors regular

design smarts

I still use my 1g nano at the gym because it does one thing and does it very well - play music... oh, and the size is perfect.

The beauty about the minimalist design of the ipod touch, and more so the iphone, is that LESS is MORE. On its front-side, it has only button! Put a blackberry storm, android g1 and iphone next to each other, and it's readily apparent that the iphone has sensibly avoided limiting itself to looking like just a phone device.... the lack of explicitly labeled hardware controls allows the iphone/ipod touch to appear to be virtually anything.

18. hugo7 thread starter macrumors regular

My first mp3 player was a sony walkman NW75. It was nice n small with not bad navigation. Unfortunately, the clp on the battery compartment (to hold a single AA battery) broke and rendered the whole device unusable - that was such a pathetic design flaw.

Anyway, all turned out well in the end as it led to my discovery of the nano 1g ;)