Your Mac encountered a problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by rafithegreat, Oct 18, 2013.

1. rafithegreat macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Yesterday, on my way home on the train, I had my Mac on and working with the following things running:

USB modem connected to the internet
    WD external HDD with music playing from it in VLC (headphones attached too)
    Microsoft Word and One Note running through Parallels 9

Twice during the journey, the music started stuttering, then the Mac screen went white with the display stating something like "your Mac encountered a problem bla bla.. wait a few seconds or press any key to restart".

The first time I had sent the report thingy to Apple but wasn't clever enough to copy the whole error log.. Does anyone have a clue what might have caused this problem?

The Mac I have is a 2013 MBA, 13'', 256 GB, i5 and 8 GB RAM.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated :)

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Sounds like a failing USB connection or cable to the drive.

Hope you keep backups of all your portable drives.

3. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

I guess if youre really curious, you could try digging through the Console app...

4. rafithegreat thread starter macrumors newbie

Not quite sure how to do that..

TimeMachine was also running at the time. The stuff on the hard drive is mainly music that I have backups of elsewhere, and other files. None were harmed and nothing was corrupted after I rebooted. Just really, really weird as it's a powerful Mac and I see no reason why it would have happened.. Unless maybe the USB Modem was the cause of the problem..

On another note -

When I double click a OneNote or Word file in my DropBox folder, it does the animation as if it's about to open, but it doesn't. I need to copy the files to the desktop before I can open them. Any idea why this might be?
    Also, I can't scroll using 2-finger scroll in OneNote. It works in Word though..

Any thoughts?