Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
That would be a lot cheaper wouldn’t it? But wouldn’t an external SSD be slower than the internal one? For every day thing I wouldn’t notice but I think it would be noticeable for more intensive things.
[doublepost=1540936819][/doublepost]

I’m wondering about the speed difference as well.

AppleInsider is quoting 3500, which is stupid fast. Other options will be slower, so the choice will be how much slower.

Moolani

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2012
I'm confused as to what parts I can use from my old 2011 Mini. Can anyone advise me here:
To connect my old 24" DVI monitor:
1) Can I use my existing monitor cable or do I need an adapter?
2) Should I get the new LG 27" monitor Apple is selling for $699 or is there a better alternative?

For connecting my USB printer, external drives etc, do I need:
1) A new USB 3 hub?
2) New cables to connect my devices to the USB-C ports?
3) or USB to USB-C adapters?

Thanks!

If your monitor doesn’t have a HDMI input, then get a HDMI to DVI cable. The new mini has 2 USB ports so can just plug in an old style USB hub into one to connect all your old USB devices. Or invest in a USB-C to USB hub. Personally, I like my external drives plugged directly into the Mac, although not sure if that is necessary.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
If your monitor doesn’t have a HDMI input, then get a HDMI to DVI cable. The new mini has 2 USB ports so can just plug in an old style USB hub into one to connect all your old USB devices. Or invest in a USB-C to USB hub. Personally, I like my external drives plugged directly into the Mac, although not sure if that is necessary.

I think my 2011 aluminum mini uses a Mini Display Port adaptor to VGA, so I'll have to go with the HDMI to DVI cable you suggested.
USB-C to USB hub sounds ideal. Thanks!

Chatran

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2013
i7 no brainer, 8gb (if RAM is really user upgradable, need to wait for confirmation) and 128 SSD

The only thing still in consideration is the 10gigabit ethernet.

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
Just browsed to best buy and they have it posted l, gives you the option to configure but you can’t...hmm

Thats weird. Earlier in the afternoon it was not listed. But now it is. However both are still listed. How odd. So are they still selling the 2014? Or perhaps just untill stock runs out?

Hater

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland
3.6Ghz i7, 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD.

RAM I will upgrade myself.

TB3 > TB2 adapter to adapt it to my storage, will run 32GB RAM for now until 32GB modules become cheaper.

tubular

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2011
Not going to pull the trigger until next year, as I've already got my toy budget used up, and my current 2012-era Mac mini quad core is going strong, maybe my favorite Mac ever.

But at some point, it'll be the i7, base RAM, and 512GB SSD.

-- I'm a developer, as a pro and as a hobbyist, so threads matter. Ordinarily I wouldn't throw down the extra US$200 to get a seven-percent boost in clock, but the i5 hexcore is six threads while the i7 is twelve threads. Plus maxing out the CPU is pretty central to future-proofing, and I'd want to hang onto this thing for a while.

-- Base RAM. It's interesting that Apple broke their own if-it-moves-solder-it-until-it-doesn't rule here, and I think that's a sign that they're doing a better job at getting their head around the headless desktop. Upgrading the memory later helps me spread out the cost of the machine. Soapbox below.

-- I've already started moving the more graphics-heavy development stuff to my unextravagant gaming tower with a GTX 1060 (and an Ubuntu partition on SSD), so integrated graphics on a mini is enough for now ... in the sense of, well, okay, I'll need to pick up a 4K monitor too. But the genius of the Mac mini is that if it blows smoke, I don't have to landfill a perfectly good monitor too just because it's been welded to the computer. At some later point, I may consider an eGPU, but I'm undecided on the wisdom of muscling up a Mac to the point where it's on par with another machine I already have, and I want to see how the eGPU thing shakes out in general. The nice thing is, I don't need to decide up front.

-- There's a speed difference between internal and external SSD, and since I'm presuming I won't have a chance to upgrade it (which as I understand it is one of the ramifications of having a T2 security) I'll bump it up a notch but not to the skies. If at some later point I need more, I can move some lesser-used things to a still-fast-just-not-quite-as-fast external SSD.

Soapbox:

I think Apple under Tim Cook went badly awry on the headless desktop, followed their own dreams without regard to the pro market, emitted a row of platypuses with tap shoes where Macs used to be, got spanked, and went back to the drawing board. True with the Mac Pro, but also true with the Mac mini. They didn't know what people used the mini for, and read their own press about how it's only an intro/switcher machine, and killed the quad core. Bringing it back is a tacit admission that, whooops!, we misread the market in 2014 and did a dumb thing, and then nattered in confusion for a couple years, and then realized we'd better bring back the essential mini now that we understand it. And their having put a couple of USB-A ports on it is a nice concession to actual reality, which is that we're not all worshiping at the Church of the One True Port, and that USB-A will be the standard for keyboards and mice and lots of other peripherals for a long time to come.

Having said that, by moving the mini up the performance spectrum, they've made me happy at the expense (literally) of those looking for the rilly-low-cost switcher machine. They still haven't worked out that the mini is two machines -- the workhorse I waited for, and the entry machine they used to make. I can't even argue that the iPhone is now their entry machine, as clobbered the low end on that one too when they killed the SE.

teohyc

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2007
I'm not getting, but if I were to get one. It would be the i7 six-core, 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD.

Will upgrade the RAM myself to 32GB, and getting a Samsung T5 2TB external SSD to run off the USB-C.

Reactions: SackJabbit

brewno

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Which one did you all order and what will you use your Mac mini for?
For me, I'm thinking just as a Plex server to watch movies with.

• i7
  • 16gb 2666MHz DDR4
  • 1TB SSD
Probably overkill to what i need.... price tag @ $2099

Ultra overkill -- for a Plex server???

I run a Plex server with over 1000 movies and it uses a 3rd gen i7 and it handles more than fine.
Hell, I used to run a Plex server off a Raspberry Pi at first.

Reactions: Donfor39

chooyoshi

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2018
Apple store in Singapore still hasn't prepared for pre ordering of Mac mini. But what I plan to get is the mid tier spec with 16gB Ram and 512gb SSD. Plus a USB c hub and a portable hdd and 1080p entry level monitor with speakers. Would 512gb be enough for dual booting with windows? 1tB SSD is ridiculous in pricing, wished that 1tb fusion drive was avaliable.

inmnbob

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2014
Chicago and Twin Cities
I am getting the i7 with 32gb and 1TB and replacing my 2013 iMac i5.

I was motivated to get a new monitor and just purchased the Samsung Thunderbolt 3 34" Curved monitor because I can use it with my MacBook pro as well as my Surface Pro -- maybe the iPad Pro if I ever get one. Following is the link to the (https://news.samsung.com/global/sam...-thunderbolt-3-qled-curved-monitor-at-ifa2018). I will re use the iMac keyboard/mouse/touchpad.

My only fear is the graphics card because I want to do more with Final Cut X and some photo editing. I am sure this will be fine for Logic Pro X and the typical web/office stuff.

The big decision for me was a iMac, iMac Pro or mac mini. When you add it all up and include $900 for the monitor is am over $3,200 which is expensive and I still wonder if it is the best solution.

Last edited:

SkiHound2

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2018
Waiting for a tear down myself. It’ll be for the wife (photographer) but for sure I’ll be getting her the i7, 8GB(since it’s user upgradeable as I can see) and either 256GB or 512GB. For those who do an external SSD how do you do it and how does it work? I’m kind of new at this so if you can point me in the right direction it will be great if I can get the lowest SSD and expand it with an external one. Thanks!

It's been a pretty easy process, though I can't recite the exact steps. I have an 2012 mini and have been running LR from and external Samsung T5. I have my LR catalog and all of my working files on it and then use Carbon Copy Cloner to have an exact copy. It's been a pretty workable solution for me. The internal SSDs are faster. At least they measure faster but I'm not sure there's a meaningful difference in terms of user experience. I've read that with the T2 processor there is a possibility that booting from external disks or replacement internal ssds could go the way of the DoDo bird. I don't think it'll happen anytime soon because it would cause chaos. But if I had an internal SSD in a new mini I'd at least keep my LR catalog on it, and probably working files. I know folks get buy with 128, but I would not go less than 256. And honestly, I won't go less than 512 for me. Just don't want to be constantly moving moving files.
[doublepost=1540990851][/doublepost]I'd be pretty cautious about assuming the ram is user upgradeable without voiding the Apple warranty. I've read some preliminary reviews that say Apple says no. I'm not saying that definitively and I hope I'm wrong. But before ordering 8gb with the plan to upgrade yourselves, make sure.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
I am going to wait until iFix confirm exactly what is upgradable before buying (e.g. if it turns out the cpu is removable like the iMac Pro, will go with a slower cpu for now).

But will probably be looking at getting the 3.2GHz 6core i7 with 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD. Will then get a USB3 SSD to install Windows on and a USB3 1TB SSD for my documents folder on the Mac. While it would be nice to get some of of Thunderbolt3 enclosure to put the SSDs in, the ones I have seen reviews of seem to use a controller that is slower than the ones in the USB3 SSD drives. Will also buy 16GB RAM and install that (will save me about £60 over the Apple 16GB).

Want to get an external GPU at some point as well, which will probably be a Vega56 and enclosure which I can get for about £600, but going to see how long I can cope with the Intel GPU first.

Also need to decide on a 4K monitor, so far the Samsung 10bit QLED ones looks good, but unfortunately they don't seem to support HDR10.

For anyone interested, below are some guides for doing some of the above:
Install Windows on External Drive
https://9to5mac.com/2017/08/31/how-windows-10-mac-boot-camp-external-drive-video/
Move Mac User Folders to another drive (e.g. Movies, Photos, Documents etc):
https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/145476/move-documents-folder-to-different-drive

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
1tB SSD is ridiculous in pricing, wished that 1tb fusion drive was avaliable.
UsbC changes the dynamic over to external storage. Out of the gate you can already buy 1TB ssd + usbC box for under $200.

The big decision for me was a iMac, iMac Pro or mac mini. When you add it all up and include $900 for the monitor is am over $3,200 which is expensive and I still wonder if it is the best solution.

The mini is a versatile multi purpose platform. Reproducing a configuration already available with iMacs will cost more. If iMac does what you need the way you need it, what more is the mini doing for you?

dyzfnctional

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
It’s about threading. Does your main application take advantage of extra threads?

Not really. Main thing will be as a Plex server and possible some others... can you help explain threading?
[doublepost=1541002607][/doublepost]
Ultra overkill -- for a Plex server???

I run a Plex server with over 1000 movies and it uses a 3rd gen i7 and it handles more than fine.
Hell, I used to run a Plex server off a Raspberry Pi at first.

I know. I’ll do some other things on this Mac too, but probably still overkill with i7

macgeek18

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2009
Northern California
Pulling the trigger today. Hope my Ryzen box sells quickly so my wife doesn't murder me. $1299 I will be using it as a daily driver. Will upgrade the RAM to 32GB in a couple of weeks. I'll be asking my wife for an eGPU and two new displays for Christmas.

upload_2018-10-31_9-29-39.png

Reactions: StellarVixen

playaproved

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2005
I’m going to order i7, 512SSD and base RAM. Mainly a Plex/iTunes server and some mild photo/video editing.

dombera

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2013
I've ordered: i5/256 SSD/8GB Ram.

I've also ordered Crucial 16GB Ram kit on amazon.

If the ram is not user upgradable I will return both and order new build: i5/256 SSD/16GB Ram.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Cant wait to see the benchmarking between the i5 and i7. I’m on the fence between getting the i7 upgrade vs the 512GB SSD.

The real question I have for the tear downs is if Apple ship the 8GB RAM as a single DIMM or two 4GB sticks.

dyzfnctional

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
pulled the trigger..
i5/16gb ram/1tb ssd= $1899
one expensive plex server lol

Also did the apple gives back program, sending back my late 2014 mac mini. They are giving back $155. better than nothing.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.