Your MACPRO Case redesign & changes Predictions for 08

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by zoozx, Jan 17, 2008.

1. zoozx macrumors 6502

zoozx

While I think many people & forums thought this next version of the MacPro might get a face lift and some options upgrades, they didn't happen.
    I'm not complaining about that because speed is the most important element for graphic professionals, but I may wait to upgrade, not because of the above, but just because I can wait right now. I'm on the edge of need for more speed.
    Thats why I have this Question.
    What do you think we may see over the next year with the MacPro?
    Anything significant?
    :D

2. yesthisisapc macrumors member

Reasonably priced RAID card.

I hope.

Please.

--edit--

As for the case, nothing. I'm working on a somewhat experimental replacement case in the meantime, but I've not really gone so far as to take it off of paper.

3. Artofilm macrumors 6502a

Artofilm

Dont get too excited already. They just released one.
    Knowing apple, it wont be for another 300+ days before they release another one.

If you're looking into getting a computer, buy a MacPro now, don't wait.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Another speed bump at some point I'd hope. I don't think a case redesign is necessary, they might do it for the hell of it, but I really like the current one and think it works well. 4 HDD bays, 2 optical bays, room for lots of RAM and expansion slots. What more do you need?

I don't think Apple feel under the same pressure to reinvent the wheel with the MacPro like they do with the consumer lines, indeed they shouldn't, it's a pro line. No one really cares too much what they look like so long as they keep up to speed where it counts - in the guts of the thing.

5. Trishul macrumors regular

Trishul

i guess

- Blu-Ray superdrive
    - 8800GT compatible with previous Mac Pro models
    - Nehalam processor option near end of the year
    - Firewire 3200, USB 3.0 PCI card

And this time next year slight re-design in case which will most likely be mainly internal. I myself find the case design pretty much flawless, can't see how any major revisions could be done, so many workplaces ive been to have bespoke furniture made specifically for this design, i can't see any major revisions to the external dimensions.

6. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

I expect this to be happening this year (why else would apple release the mac pro with an "early 2008" tag... think about it). Probably the release will be June/July, complete with product exterior redesign and ACD updates.

7. peejack macrumors 6502a

I think thats very unlikely.

8. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

Everything is unlikely and everything is likely... All i know is that Apple has removed the ACD's from the Store web front and they are long overdue for an update. Also, the Mac Pro has been out with an "early 2008" tag... why? To seperate them from the upcoming Nehalem processor. Also, Apple will want to push this product in July, since they just released a product this month. In addition, the new MacPro will eliminate the FSB (a new species of a processor, since the Pentium was introduced). This will be a first generation chip and Apple will try to bring the appeal to this box to pick up sales and avoid and the crowd skeptical about a v1 chip. I can see the ACD's coming around this time too.

9. krypt macrumors newbie

It's more likely the "late 2008" model will be a 3.4+Ghz version of the existing technology.

Nehalem won't be ready for mass production until Q4 2008. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nehalem_(CPU_architecture)#Variants

I suspect any "big" changes (case rework, etc.) won't happen until the Nehalem update.

(If in doubt of wikipedia's dates, check the sources as the bottom of the page.)

10. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

We all thought Harpertown was gonna arrive November 2007, and it didn't. With Apple's new MacPro track record, who knows when Nehalem will show up. If anything, maybe at WWDC, which I hope, because I will most likely be there. :D

11. fernmeister macrumors regular

New case around the middle of next year, with new range of ACD.

An update later this year, minor spec changes and newer versions of the current chips.

That's my guess.

12. Everythingisnt macrumors 6502a

Everythingisnt

I don't really think they're going to change the case all that much for a while... Although a clear side-panel like on the PowerMac G5 would be nice :D.

13. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

Mac Pro people are gluttons for pain. Already salivating at the thought of the next revision.

14. newtech macrumors 6502

15. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Apple has got a great solid design. I think some work could be done on the current design. Reinforcement of the feet which has been a small issue since the G5. Other then that I think they really nailed it with this one.

16. Mattww macrumors 6502

Mattww

I'm still learning about Intel stuff but from what I keep reading about Nehalem there is some mention of chips in 2008 but all the Mac Pro and Xserve models so far have used only the top end Xeon models. This makes me think that Apple will use the Nehalem-EX "Beckton" chips and architecture. Everything I have seen about Beckton so far says due Q4 2009!

17. orangejuice macrumors newbie

I think Intel will run with the current line of processors for a while, AMD aren't really competition at the moment, they have no reason to release Nehalem in the immediate to near future, that's if if it is even ready by then.

It just makes no business sense to push Nehalem in July. None at all.

18. skyline r34 macrumors 6502

skyline r34

The people who's going to wait for Nehalem MacPro's, what will people do if Apple comes out with even faster MacPro's than the Nehalem MacPro's, are people going wait even longer for the next MacPro after Nehalem, People will never have the latest MacPro there's also going to be faster, better MacPro's down the road, I played the waiting game for a 1 Year then bit the bullet when the New MacPro's came out but i'm still waiting for the new ACD. If you need a computer now then get one or otherwise your always going to play the waiting game.

19. deathshrub macrumors 6502

Agreed, but that being said, the case is designed beautifully and is an amazing match with the cinema displays and the aluminum keyboard. :apple:

20. peejack macrumors 6502a

Who really cares about the case though? People that do don't really need a mac pro.:rolleyes:

21. deathshrub macrumors 6502

The great thing about the Mac Pro and its Intel processors are that they run cool enough so that you can keep the side panel off if you want. A plastic side panel is completely unnecessary.

22. deathshrub macrumors 6502

Exactly. Go buy an iMac if you're so concerned about aesthetics.

23. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I don't know about a redesign, but all I want is for it to be meaner than it is right now. Give me some extra internal storage and MORE PORTS!

24. MikeL macrumors 6502

I'm going out on a limb here: Because it was released in early 2008.

I know it's fun to speculate and look really super hard for those super subtle clues that Apple drops. I once saw a peanut shell in a bar. I sat there for about three hours, just drinking beer and wondering about the elephant that ate the peanuts (common sense, you know--elephants love peanuts) and how it got in and out of the bar. And there was a bowl of peanuts on the bar, too, so if the bartender keeps that bowl there the elephant must be a regular, right?

25. G4DP macrumors 65816

Something must be wrong with my new mac pro. I'm running all cores 100% on Seti, when i'm not working, it's throwing out cold air.

My heating bill is going to be huge. I was planning on this replacing a radiator.

How dare Apple mac a machine that runs so cold and so damn quietly!

I'm going to complain.

Why redesign something that is perfect all ready.